Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cabrera and Dontrelle to Tigers for 6 prospects!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cabrera and Dontrelle to Tigers for 6 prospects!

Postby JTWood » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:35 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Christmas is early!!!

I'm happy for you, CM. This was quite a trade. I hope it nets you guys a trophy. ;-D

I'm also happy for my Guillen trade that went through yesterday. :-B
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -255)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:25 am

Funny, I've always been a casual Tiger fan, but this trade really makes me like them. Cabrera has been one of my favorite players ever since dominating the Yankees at 19 years old (same reason Beckett is also a favorite of mine). I also have more faith in Dontrelle than most do, I think this is a very very good trade for a team that becomes better than a Santana-less Boston team, IMO.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:44 am

Super nice trade for the Tigers for the now. This should put them right up there with the Sox and Yanks as favorites in the American League this year. It also opens up huge opportunities for both Miller and Maybin for this year where as with Detroit, they might have been stuck in Triple A most of the year. I can't wait to see if Miller can get it going control wise. ;-D
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby J35J » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:04 am

raiders_umpire wrote:I can't wait to see if Miller can get it going control wise. ;-D

I'm with you there. The sky is the limit if he finds control of his arsenal!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:18 am

J35J wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:I can't wait to see if Miller can get it going control wise. ;-D

His arsenal? He has one pitch. Im just kidding - but only a little bit. Seriously though, Miller almost never threw his slider or changeup last yr - he knows he cannot control them at this point. He lives on his plus fastball - and what a fastball it is: its not really fair calling it one pitch since he can do so much with it - you'll see.

The way I see the trade is like this: Miller hopes he can become as good as '06 Willis in a few years (NL rookie of the yr in '03, and runner up in Cy Young voting in '06). Maybin hopes his bat will someday get close to what MCab is doing right now (although to be fair, his defense will be miles better than MCab's). The difference in age in about 3 years for each. The Tigers basically went out and got players that are doing what they hope those prospects may someday do, and they sacrificed very little age too.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:24 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
J35J wrote:

His arsenal? He has one pitch. Im just kidding - but only a little bit. Seriously though, Miller almost never threw his slider or changeup last yr - he knows he cannot control them at this point. He lives on his plus fastball - and what a fastball it is: its not really fair calling it one pitch since he can do so much with it - you'll see.

The way I see the trade is like this: Miller hopes he can become as good as '06 Willis in a few years (NL rookie of the yr in '03, and runner up in Cy Young voting in '06). Maybin hopes his bat will someday get close to what MCab is doing right now (although to be fair, his defense will be miles better than MCab's). The difference in age in about 3 years for each. The Tigers basically went out and got players that are doing what they hope those prospects may someday do, and they sacrificed very little age too.

Definitely good for Detroit as well but for the future, I like this deal for the Fins.

Miller's got a heavy sinking fastball and very good secondary pitches. I think it is just a matter of time before he passes Willis.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:36 am

Yoda wrote:Definitely good for Detroit as well but for the future, I like this deal for the Fins.

Miller's got a heavy sinking fastball and very good secondary pitches. I think it is just a matter of time before he passes Willis.

His secondary pitches are not ready though. He has serious control issues with them on top of the problem that he doesnt disguize them well enough. When he got blew up this yr it was when teams waited on his offspeed pitches - they knew he would eventually serve up a high slider or changeup in the zone and they attacked it. IF he can reign those pitches in and mix them in without telegraphing them then yes, he's a stud.

Willis on the other hand was a 22 game winner with a poor team just a year ago - he almost won the Cy Young as a 24 year old. Sure he was poor last yr, but I think you see my point. Im not going to say Miller will never be better than Willis, but a lot of people are forgetting what a force Willis is to begin with.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:52 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
J35J wrote:

I know all about Miller's fastball as I watched quite a bit when he was in Tarheel country. His slider is also a solid pitch but he has never had very good control with it. If that control ever comes, watch out is the words for sure.
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers