Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cabrera and Dontrelle to Tigers for 6 prospects!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cabrera and Dontrelle to Tigers for 6 prospects!

Postby The Cow » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:55 am

This was a steal for the Tigers. Cabrera is a stud. Willis could bounce back. But the big thing is that the Tigers gave up very little to get MCab, IMO. Maybin is a nice prospect. I think Miller is over rated. As for the other guys, they are just that other guys. I really wish the Tribe would have gotten in on this. We could have offered up a deal like that. I guess we lack a Maybin, but we could have added better pitching. Anyways it bites that Det keeps improving.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:16 am

RocketsDWM wrote:Will Inge accept a demotion though?

Who cares he sucks
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:42 am

I really like this trade for the Marlins. Miller and Maybin are going to be great. They certainly have been very successful in finding talent and developing so I can't wait to see those two play next year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:09 am

Christmas is early!!! I am ecstatic about this trade!!! What a suprise!!! No rumors ahead of time, no grinding it out in the media, just BOOM - done deal! I saw it as an "Oh, by the way..." as I was watching the local news wrap up about an hour ago. Needless to say I'm gonna have trouble sleeping tonight. I'll be going to bed with potential lineups in my head. :-D

This has been an offseason to remember for Tigers fans. Before any other team could blink DD went out and resigned Rogers and TJones before they really hit the open market (says something about an organization when free agents only want to talk to the team they were playing for - Rogers even fired his agent cause he knew he just wanted to play in Detroit), and then traded for MCab, Renteria, and D-Train. It almost feels like I'm watching a yahoo! fantasy league where some owner is just stacking his team with quick WW pickups and 2 for 1 trades.

My first thoughts about the lineup - I cant see them moving Polly out of the 2-hole.

Granderson
Polonco
MCab
Maggs
Sheff
Guillen
Renteria
Pudge
JJones/Thames

You may or may not get excited about it, but I doubt anyone can say there is a better lineup from top to bottom in baseball.

Bonderman
Rogers
Verlander
Willis
Robertson

Not too many holes in the starting rotation either. What teams have better starting lineups from 1 through 5? I know there are teams with better top 3 but their back of the rotation guys cant stand up to Detroit's either.

The bullpen is where its going to get ugly for Detroit. No Zumaya is a huge blow - no way he can be replaced. Maybe the Tigers will be able to trade Inge for some help in this area. I think they had to sign TJones, and I also think it was a good thing they did it early as well. Some help for Rodney to bridge the gap to TJones is going to be crucial this yr - preferably a LH.

After this blockbuster trade, the Tigers have to be considered WS favorites to start the yr.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:10 am

acsguitar wrote:

Who cares he sucks

You should spend more time in front of the TV and less time in front of the PC.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:14 am

Lofunzo wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Who cares he sucks

You should spend more time in front of the TV and less time in front of the PC.

Nicely said. Inge is way more valuable than his fantasy numbers reflect. It does cause a nice problem for Detroit though. Do they trade him or use him as a pricey defensive sub at 3B/C? With the bullpen holes, he may be a nice bargaining chip to help in that area.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ender » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:26 am

The Cow wrote:This was a steal for the Tigers. Cabrera is a stud. Willis could bounce back. But the big thing is that the Tigers gave up very little to get MCab, IMO. Maybin is a nice prospect. I think Miller is over rated. As for the other guys, they are just that other guys. I really wish the Tribe would have gotten in on this. We could have offered up a deal like that. I guess we lack a Maybin, but we could have added better pitching. Anyways it bites that Det keeps improving.

The Cow

I will give the counterpoint, I think it was a steal for the Marlins. Willis is a league average at best SP, Miller could easily out produce him this season especially with Willis losing his batting in the AL. Willis has had half a good season in the past 3 years, not impressed. He might have a good season while the AL learns to deal with his delivery but after that he is average at best. Cabrera is the real wild card, his defense is horrible and he has some conditioning issues that could make his bat slip.

Maybin is a bit overrated but he is going to be a solid major league player, 2 years from now Miller will be better than Willis and cheaper. I think the deal is relatively even overall. The Tigers are buying a chance at a world series over the next 2 years vs a complete useless team for a few years after that window while they rebuild. The Marlins are trading respectability for the next 2 years for a chance to really be a competitive team 3 years from now.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:27 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Nicely said. Inge is way more valuable than his fantasy numbers reflect. It does cause a nice problem for Detroit though. Do they trade him or use him as a pricey defensive sub at 3B/C? With the bullpen holes, he may be a nice bargaining chip to help in that area.

I would keep him unless overwhelmed. He is a decent stick with a great glove. I am all for keeping Inge and putting Cabrera in LF. Put Jones and/or Thames on the bench. Inge will be a bottom of the order hitter. He is definitely a lot more than adequate there.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:30 am

Ender wrote:
The Cow wrote:This was a steal for the Tigers. Cabrera is a stud. Willis could bounce back. But the big thing is that the Tigers gave up very little to get MCab, IMO. Maybin is a nice prospect. I think Miller is over rated. As for the other guys, they are just that other guys. I really wish the Tribe would have gotten in on this. We could have offered up a deal like that. I guess we lack a Maybin, but we could have added better pitching. Anyways it bites that Det keeps improving.

The Cow

I will give the counterpoint, I think it was a steal for the Marlins. Willis is a league average at best SP, Miller could easily out produce him this season especially with Willis losing his batting in the AL. Willis has had half a good season in the past 3 years, not impressed. He might have a good season while the AL learns to deal with his delivery but after that he is average at best. Cabrera is the real wild card, his defense is horrible and he has some conditioning issues that could make his bat slip.

Maybin is a bit overrated but he is going to be a solid major league player, 2 years from now Miller will be better than Willis and cheaper. I think the deal is relatively even overall. The Tigers are buying a chance at a world series over the next 2 years vs a complete useless team for a few years after that window while they rebuild. The Marlins are trading respectability for the next 2 years for a chance to really be a competitive team 3 years from now.

It is amazing that you are evaluating this deal but you only mentioned Cabrera once. He is the main piece here. Not Willis.
Lofunzo

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:56 am

Yikes. So in a matter of two trades (Edgar Renteria and Cabrera/Willis), the Tigers have unloaded:

Jair Jurrjens
Gorkys Hernandez
Andrew Miller
Cameron Maybin
Eulogio De La Cruz
Dallas Trahern
Mike Rabelo
Burke Badenhop

That is how you unload a farm system. Detroit has a few guys left (Rick Porcello and Casey Crosby come to mind), but still, that is a major drain on the system (prior to this season, BA had Maybin/Miller/Hernandez/Jurrjens 1-2-3-4 in the Detroit system). They're clearly making a run for the here and now, and hopefully it works for them. They certainly have a batting order that can whip anyone on any given day.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers