Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Where Can I improve WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where Can I improve WHIR

Postby mrhackey1 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:13 pm

I finished in 4th place in a 12 team head to head contract keeper
Here is my roster to date, as ive made many offseason moves already (its only november)
Any advice of where to improve? who to move? who to package together?
*Worth noting- weekly not daily lineup changes, so barring injury or major slump, roster would most likely stay put
Leave your link and ill throw in my opinion

C Russel Martin
1b James Loney
2b Stewart (he's being moved from 3b to 2b, which his bat could be affective in COL)
3b Hank Blalock
SS Orlando Cabrera
OF Delmon Young
OF Magglio Ordonez
OF Carlos Lee
Util Bill Hall

P Sabathia
p Verlander
P Wainwright
P JERED Weaver
P Borowski
P Chad Cordero
P Buerhle

Bench
Delgado
Cantu
Ellsbury
Hamilton
Parmelee
(Bench Pitchers)
Morales
Duke
Sheets
Nolasco
Adenhart
mrhackey1
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Where Can I improve WHIR

Postby RaysFan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:55 am

Just as a note, if you are in a league with contracts it is usually helpful to include salaries to help determine possible and fair trades. Just a note =]

First glance to me is just what is Sheets doing on the bench. I think hes better than Buerhle or Wainwright when he is healthy, when he gets injured ((it'll happen)) then you plug one of the others in, but to start the season I think Ben Sheets will do better than either of them.

The other thing that strikes me is Ian Stewart. Not extremely deep rosters and there are better 2Bman out there. Maybe try and package Ian Stewart, James Loney ((I know you like Loney, I do to)) for a guy like Brian Roberts to help this teams serious lack of speed.

This isn't meant to be rude but I think this team has a lot of players on the roster who don't belong. I dont know the league or waiver wire but Parmelee, Duke, probably Cantu, and maybe Adenhart have better counterparts on the wire. I'm someone who likes to try and win now with young veterans like CC and Miguel instead of minor leaguers like Adenhart and Stewart ((although they are maybe my two favorite minor leaguers =])) so sorry if my opinion is a little biased.

Carlos Delgado should produce .270 with 30 HR and 95 RBI in that lineup next year with .260 27 HR 85 RBI being WCS ((if hes health)) and .280 40 HR 115 RBI being the BCS ((again... if hes healthy)) and I dont mind that along with Brian Roberts at 2B over Ian Stewart.

This team can produce well enough but it will probably require alot of luck and extreme contributions to young guys. Unless you get a few more solid veterans I don't think this team can compete for a championship THIS YEAR. The only deabtable top 2 round player on this team is Carlos Lee and thats VERY debatable in a 12 team league. I could see this team finishing 5-8th as it is now.

I would be scared at CL, I like Chad but he probably wont be able to get more than 35 SV because of the team hes on, and even if Joe Bo gets his 40-45 SV that 4.50 ERA isn't helping anything. A combined 3.85 ERA from your closers is not what you need although your pitching staff is nice so I might try and trade Joe or Cordero along with maybe a guy like Hamilton and a guy like Morales for an upgrade to Saito/Putz/K-Rod/or Nathan to try and anchor down the saves.

Thats about all I can say for this team other than good luck next year!

Thanks to Alec03 for the awesome sig
RaysFan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -7)

Postby RC17 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:21 pm

I agree about making a move for Brian Roberts if possible, but I'd try to keep Stewart on the bench in case he becomes a star. I also think you could take Hall out of the Util spot for Delgado or Ellsbury, depending on if you feel you need more power or speed in the lineup. I actually might replace Hall with Delgado, and Young with Ellsbury, at least until Young starts living up to the potential he has. I realize it's weekly changes, but missing one week of stats won't kill you.
RC17
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby sgnilloccaz » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:25 pm

A suggestion that I am gonna give you is, try to replace James Loney. He doesn'ty seem like a strong player to me. You could put Delgado at 1b the spot and watch over Loneys performance verus Delgado's and make a smart managerial decision on who to start based on pitching match-ups, ball-parks..etc. Ellsbury could be a pleasent surprise. Another player to watch is Cantu, he didn't play the majority of the year in '07.
sgnilloccaz
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -5)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team