Return to Baseball Leftovers

My draft is looking up!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My draft is looking up!

Postby jpgretzky15 » Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:31 am

As the commissioner of a baseball league with friends for the third year in a row (I've won both times), and my draft 9 days away, I'm a pretty happy camper.

Not only am I here to go for a three-peat, but I am especially excited for this year's draft. I drew the #1 pick. Usually, I like a #5 or 6 pick. But I am excited to get A-Rod this year.

Now, the owner of the #2 pick and I have made a pre-draft agreement that he will trade his #1 pick for my #2 pick and my #5 pick (We tell each other who to pick for those selections.) Now, I will have A-Rod and Randy Johnson in the draft, in a 12-team league! Not many drafts start off that well :)
jpgretzky15
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Munson, Roy E » Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:34 am

No offense dude, but that league is lame. No wonder you've won twice in a row.

Anyone who would trade you Randy Johnson for a No. 2 pick and a No. 5 pick is either a. retarded, b. very retarded, c. severely retarded or d. all of the above.
"I don't need your sympathy, man, I need my Johnson. ... What do you need that for Dude?"
Munson, Roy E
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:14 am

Well, I agree that the trade is very nice for jpgretzky15, but I wouldn't say it's absolutely outrageous. There's always a risk involved in trading up, since you'll wind up with more eggs in one basket.

Still, the Big Unit for a second and a fifth is a great deal...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby trevisc » Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:36 am

your # 2 pick is like #24 and your #5 pick is like #60 so basically he traded RJ for the #24 and #60 pick.

no way would I have done that.

BTW..instead of getting RJ why don't you get Vlad instead?

that would rock having A-rod and vlad on the same team!
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby jay » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:40 pm

No way trevisc...his next pick would be in teh third round of a 12 team league. Take the #1 hitter and the #1 pitcher.
Zack Greinke...the next Greg Maddux. LOOK IT UP!
For what it's worth.
jay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Jury » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:51 pm

I'd probably pick Vlad and ARod. You can get a Maddux or a Millwood or a Halladay or a Colon in the third round, or you can get a nice outfielder such as Rondell White or Tsuyoshi Shinjo or Adam Hyzdu in the third round. You get the picture.
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jpgretzky15 » Sat Mar 01, 2003 1:38 am

My #5 pick is pick 49. The league is very active, and they are all huge baseball fans, but we just all like trading, I guess. But it's not bad for the guy who traded it to me, he told me that he didn't want to draft early starting pitching, but rather build a solid lineup. So to each his own.

I'd take Randy. Then I have all the categories covered, except for really stolen bases, unless a-rod spikes his total up to at least 20 again.
jpgretzky15
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers