Return to Baseball Leftovers

Here is how my first round, 12 team draft went.....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Here is how my first round, 12 team draft went.....

Postby dodger33 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:39 pm

My friends and I have a big money league where we draft in person and put the players in manually when yahoo becomes available. great way to do it if you have the time....my pick is in bold...

1. Alex Rodriguez (no surprise)
2. Albert Pujols (probably more valuable at 1stBase)
3. Vlad Guerrero (living in so cal this pick is understandable)
4. A. Soriano (best 2nd basemen with speed and power)
5. C. Beltran (alot of hype behind this pick)
6. M. Prior (best pitcher on the board?)
7. B Bonds (this guy rules in walks, average, HR's, low stikeouts)
8. Pedro Martinez (solid and healthy 2003, ....2004?)
9. T. Helton (bigtime production from the right corner)
10. C. Delgado (see T. Helton)
11. G. Sheffield (solid numbers and is now a yankee)
12. Nomar Garciaparra (free agent year should take advantage of it)

what does everyone think, I think this is all pretty standard on how everyones first round will look.
www.bigzoo.com
code: 30freeminutes
dodger33
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gypsyspot » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:40 pm

That looks pretty standard.
I know the future!!!!!!!
gypsyspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Tribe-Fan » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:48 pm

Thats too high for Delgado. He went 1st round for 2 years after his MVP season in 1999, and while he still put up good numbers the next 2 years, they were not 1st round numbers. I see the same again this year. A slight drop from his 2003 numbers will take him out of the 1st round, so don't get caught paying for last years numbers.
Eternal vigilance is the price of integrity.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tlef316 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:06 pm

agreed. there are a few people that are borderline late first rounders. i think delgado should be a 2nd rounder. i consider helton more valuable than bonds, but its pretty subjective.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -2)

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:19 pm

That round is an almost exact replica of the Brendan Roberts from Sporting News' projected 1st round.

Personally I don't think there's any hype around Beltran. Here's a 5 category guy who'll battle Soriano for most steals out of all the 1st rounders.

I look at that list and my first thought is: why draft Nomar so early? I'd rather have Renteria.

I agree that I wouldn't take Delgado in that round and I really don't think I could take Sheffield quite that early. Maybe I'm paranoid since it's been awhile since he was injured, but that history of injuries makes him a second rounder.

Thanks for posting these. It's always interesting to see what other people are thinking when they draft. Would you post the 2nd-4th rounds up here too?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby xeifrank » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:19 pm

IMHO

Helton a bargain at #9.

Delgado a big stretch at #10, if it's a snake draft I would've tried to get him with the #15 pick if I really wanted to draft him that badly.

Otherwise, can't really argue with any of the picks.

Xeifrank
Author of: http://MLBMockDraftSoftware.blogspot.com/
Author of: http://dodgerSims.blogspot.com/
Author of: http://TheSoberAngels.blogspot.com/
Author of: http://XeiOnSports.blogspot.com/
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Justise » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:37 pm

You guys keep saying Delgado is a streach at #10, but its not a cut and dry case, theres nobody out there who's a guarentee'd first rounder after him.

You could argue for Odonez, but he's an outfielder and will put up similar numbers.

When it comes down to it, he's not a strech after ARod, Pujols, Soriano, Vlad and helton.
Justise
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ramble2 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:34 pm

What are the league parameters? If you count BBs or OPS or Ks, then Bonds was an excellent pick. Hard to say how the first round went without knowing your scoring system.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)

Postby Erboes » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:51 pm

What do you guys think about Prior moving up to 3 or 4 in these mixed drafts? I know it sounds crazy, but if he hadn't missed those 3 or 4 starts last season he probably would have been a $40 player. Only Pujols and Sheffield were higher. And if he lowers his WHIP down a bit he could enter the $45-50 territory, which was only known by Johnson and Martinez. I've been toying with this for a while, so I thought I'd spring it on you guys.

Assuming this is 5x5 league, I believe there's only 10 players who most certainly belong in the 1st round, and it's these top and Ordonez (he's better than Delgado). Other then those players, I'd just as soon trade my pick if I were at 11 and 12 and get a couple later picks. The difference between the Nomar/Delgado tandem and that of Tejada/Thome is very slight if even existent. For that matter, the difference between Ordonez and Abreu is very small as well. Not that I think about it, it's either those top 9 or trade the pick in my opinion. Sorry, I'm rambling.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BobbyRoberto » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:02 pm

To those who think some of these late 1st round picks are questionable, who would take their place? Another pitcher behind Prior and Pedro? Schilling, perhaps? I've heard Ordonez mentioned, who else?
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: -13)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers