Return to Baseball Leftovers

Crosby and Dye

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Crosby and Dye

Postby ramble2 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:59 pm

I posted this elsewhere, but thought it might be of general interest to the Cafe.

Yesterday I was listening to an interesting interview with Ken Macha.

He's hoping that Dye will be healthy and return to form a bit this year - .270-.280 with 20+ HRs. They are counting on Dye to replace Tejada in the lineup (we'll see what happens). The A's are also counting on a significant increase in production from their OF in general to offset the loss of Tejada.

When Macha was asked about Crosby, Macha replied that they aren't expecting too much of Crosby this year. The pressure is on Dye, not Crosby. In fact, the A's are merely looking for Crosby to procuce more than what Dye did in '03. They are looking for 10 HRs and 50 RBIs and a > .200 average. In other words, the bar is not being set high.

This is good news for A's fans and Crosby fans. The A's are wise to do their best to keep the pressure off of Crosby. Don't look for much production from him this year, but he might be worth stashing on your bench depending on your keeper rules. Be wary of using Crosby in your starting lineup this year. The A's don't sound as though they will be benching him due to poor performance. They are already chalking up this year to a 'learning curve', and just want him to get MLB AB experiece.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ondeckb » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:03 pm

Interesting...it begs a question. Who would be the better sleeper SS this year, Crosby or Khalil Greene?
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Postby wrveres » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:12 pm

ondeckb wrote:Interesting...it begs a question. Who would be the better sleeper SS this year, Crosby or Khalil Greene?

well thats a good question. I know where Khalil will be batting ... 8th.
But I think it depends upon where Crosby bats. I would still lean towards Crosby because of the DH. Very few pitchers wil be batting Greene in ...

thanks for he story Ramble ,...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby kentx12 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:37 am

I would go with Crosby.
There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -47)

Postby Bukoski77 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:58 am

kentx12 wrote:I would go with Crosby.

I lurk more than I post and you seem to really know your baseball as I have read alot of your posts but I have to dissagree.

The Padres have Nevin back fully healthy from the get go, should enjoy a healthy Ryan Klesko, and made positive offseason moves to help the offense.

It hurts to say it as I'm an Oakland fan, but the most positive offseason move Oakland made to help their offense was getting a Padres castoff in Kotsay(who I might look at in the last few rounds).

Crosby I give more long term potential to, but Khali Green is the safer bet going into this year.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ramble2 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:06 am

ondeckb wrote:Interesting...it begs a question. Who would be the better sleeper SS this year, Crosby or Khalil Greene?

Ugh, that's a tough one. You have to ask yourself, who's #8 hitter would you rather have? The A's or the Padres?

My guess is that both will put up similar numbers. Still, I'd probably lean towards Crosby. He's got a higher ceiling, so there's the chance he adjusts and puts up slightly better numbers. I wouldn't expect more than a .270 (let's hope), 8-12 HRs, 50 RBIs, 50-60 Rs and a handful of SBs from either. Not the stuff of a winning fantasy team.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker

Postby trevisc » Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:57 am

both are .250 hitters with maybe 15 homers. take your pick
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker