Why one over the other (pros/cons)?
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -181)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jellyroll » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:25 am

I'd take Alf, possible 40 40 and scarcity at 2b make him more valuable.
jellyroll
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby LBJackal » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:27 am

It's a tough call. The obvious pros of getting soriano are his SB's and position eligibility. The pros of Vlad are better BA, probably more HR, more RBI, and more runs. I'd actually start to think of taking Beltran before Vlad. Most of you guys would disagree, but Beltran has a good shot at getting twice as many SB's, while keeping up to Vlad in all the other categories except BA.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -179)

Postby kentx12 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:53 am

I would go with Soriano
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -47)

Postby Erboes » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:41 am

LBJackal wrote:It's a tough call. The obvious pros of getting soriano are his SB's and position eligibility. The pros of Vlad are better BA, probably more HR, more RBI, and more runs. I'd actually start to think of taking Beltran before Vlad. Most of you guys would disagree, but Beltran has a good shot at getting twice as many SB's, while keeping up to Vlad in all the other categories except BA.

Oh, I'd disagree with you alright. Beltran will not touch him in HR's, RBI's, and average, and you're assuming Beltran will continue to steal and Guerrero will not. Beltran has never been worth more than $34 and Guerrero's topped $50 and was never below $38 in a full season except for last season.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby KULCAT » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:56 am

Id take Vlad over beltran but i dont think that they are so far appart. Vlad is not a good SB man(in reality i mean) he gets caught a lot and i dont think Sciocia will give him green lights to run(and take in account that 7 year contract he has) I also think Beltran is getting better as a hitter and its quite possible he starts to hit 300. I think he hits at least .295 this year but thats just me.
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Pete O » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:00 am

I'm having the exact same dillema. I'm a Yankee fan but Soriano scares me this year. He will hit anywhere from 6-8 in the lineup, lowering his total AB. Vlad is coming off an injury plagued season but when he was healthy he was awesome and now has something more to prove moving to a different team. I like to draft according to position scarcity but having the 4th overall pick, I want it to go to a guarentee rather than a risk. Any comforting thoughts to talk me into Soriano?
Pete O
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Andy1234 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:28 am

You say you have the 4th pick and your decideing between these two? I was thinking 3rd pick, who went along with A-Rod and Pujols? (I'm thinking Prior, maybe)
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -181)

Postby CrimeDog » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:42 am

This question has come up several times, I'd take Soriano based solely on posistion and the fact that he's almost guaranteed to continue stealing bases. It's pretty close however and depending on my mood I might grab Vlad anyways just because I despise the Yankees.
CrimeDog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Pete O » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:47 am

You say you have the 4th pick and your decideing between these two? I was thinking 3rd pick, who went along with A-Rod and Pujols? (I'm thinking Prior, maybe)

I'm assuming the first 3 picks are Arod, Pujols, and either one of these two or Bonds (our league counts OBP). So if both are there, I'm trying to decide where to go with the fourth pick. If only one or the other is available, my decision is easy. Don't want Bonds due to age and 120 games played.
Pete O
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers