Return to Baseball Leftovers

Boston Vs. NY

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Boston Vs. NY

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:41 am

I will start of this post from the words echoed by poster oldtowneteamguy in related to the yanks trading for Lamb.

Most Sox fans feel as if they leaped over the yanks this offseason....And I say it ain't so.....I really don't know what SOX fans are drooling about.....Yes they signed Schilling/Foulke and are improved. But the Yanks have improved as well.

Right now Vazquez and Brown are better pithers then Clemens and Pettite..Y...ankee fans don't need to worry about losing Pettite. Let it go.....I had to hear about this nonsense for weeks until the yanks got these two guys.....and while they (yanks fans) will always have a soft spot for Pettitte he's alredy a forgotten man.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Off the topic (same type of Yankee New york fan garbage) I remember when Showalter was shown the door and fired. I had to listen to Showalter this/showalter that...Bull$hit. I was happy to see him leave (I personally thought he sucked) ..and you know the rest of this story....In comes Torre and let the WS wins begin

----------------------------------------------------

The Yanks also Throw in some Sheffield and Loffton and you've got an overkill lineup..

Wakefield can lose it at any time and Kim could easily crap out as a starter...I do however believe that Contreras will be pretty damn good starting at of the 4-5 hole...

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Re: Boston Vs. NY

Postby stabone76 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:57 am

[quote="Anonymous"]The Yanks also Throw in some Sheffield and Loffton and you've got an overkill lineup..quote]

Yeah, overkill, being a brewer fan i know, it must suck being too good
stabone76
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bukoski77 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:58 am

I'm an Oakland fan so I kind of have a grudge against both teams.................

well actually I kind of like the sox despite Manny walking the bases in the playoffs as Fenway is the only stadium I have seen any games at.

1. The Sox have had a better off season than New York. It doesnt neccessarily make them a better team, although I believe they will be.

2. Contreras should be just fine, I agree with that.

3. Kim wont bottom out as a starter. His ERA/WHIP might jump a little as a starter in the AL as oppossed to his numbers as a starter in the NL, but he was just fine as a starting pitcher in Arizona, poor guy just couldnt get any run support.

4. Sheff and Lofton are good signingsI agree.

5 Kevin Brown wont be better than Pettitte or Clemens were in NY. He lives and dies bye the ground ball out when he isnt fanning batters and the Yankee's have an atrocious ground ball defense. It cant be stated enough either (and I'm sick of hearing about the afforementioned one's conditioning program) that Brown is a Huge injury risk.

6. Vazquez will be just fine in NY.

this is why we love baseball, let them fight it out again!!!!!!
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby Jivedude » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:01 am

I dunno. I don't really care for some of the moves the Yankees have made this offseason. They are an old creaky team. Their rotation still has serious question marks. What are the chances that Brown will stay healthy. Also, what will they get from Contreras and Lieber? Can Giambi's knees hold up all season? Right now, I think the teams are pretty much evenly matched as long as the Yankees can stay healthy.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -4)

Postby GSes » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:14 am

If both teams stay healthy and perform like they are supposed too, well the Sox and Yankees should both win 105 games or more with that talent.

What will really happen they will be 1 and 2 in the AL and should both reach 100 wins.

Im going to take the Yankees because I think with the addition of Sheffield and Lofton the Yankee offense is now better then Red Sox.

Rivera is better then Foulke

While Schilling & Pedro is better then Mussina & Vazquez.

Brown/Leiber/Contreras should be better then Lowe/Wake/and Kim

I will take the Yankees to win the AL East again,

by the way I dislike the Yankees more then anyone, BOO Bronx Bombers. :-t
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:19 am

GSes wrote:If both teams stay healthy and perform like they are supposed too, well the Sox and Yankees should both win 105 games or more with that talent.

What will really happen they will be 1 and 2 in the AL and should both reach 100 wins.

Im going to take the Yankees because I think with the addition of Sheffield and Lofton the Yankee offense is now better then Red Sox.

My prediction is that the Red Sox win 102 games and the division. The Yankees will win 101 games. The Red Sox will then go on to beat the Cubs in the World Series.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Jivedude » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:20 am

Anonymous wrote:
GSes wrote:If both teams stay healthy and perform like they are supposed too, well the Sox and Yankees should both win 105 games or more with that talent.

My prediction is that the Red Sox win 102 games and the division. The Yankees will win 101 games. The Red Sox will then go on to beat the Cubs in the World Series.

Oops got logged out I guess.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -4)

Postby Sox FANatic001 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:05 pm

tool069c wrote:There's 2 things I know are true...

1) The yankees defense is horrible.

2) They no longer have any good lefthanded pitchers on their team...

3) many key players are over 30 and have had injury problems in the last year or two

4) have a weak farm system which will make midseason trades very tough
Lets Go patsox!

yay! sox win!!!
bambino-1918-2004
Rest In Pain ;-)

Big David Ortiz Rocks my socks off
him and pokey
Sox FANatic001
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -115)

Here I am to finish this

Postby OldeTowneTeamGuy » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:11 pm

Okay....Schilling/Foulke/Burks/Womack/Bellhorn/Reese is a MAJOR upgrade for the sox. No one debates that.

Vazquez has never pitched with pressure. Who knows how he will react. Pettite always came up big just when you needed it. Brown could be done for the year within a week for all we know (his track record as evidence. Sheffield is a great bat. He has shown tremendous inconsistencies throughout his career. He also is a complete and total jerk. Boone is a huge loss. Yankees are the worst defensive team in baseball. When has as bad a defensive team won the title. Torre is on his way out of town and that will certainly impact the Bronx Bombers.

Everyone knows the Sox were better last year. We handed it to you on a silver platter. You won't be so lucky this year. Here's why:

1. Sox blew 22 saves last year. Foulke himself blew 5. 17 game difference gives the sox a 10 game division win.
2. Pitching match-ups are where the keys lie, not in which team picked up whom. Pedro is better than Mussina, Schilling Better than Vazquez, Brown better than Lowe, Wakefield better than Contreras, and Lieber vs. Kim is too tough to call until we see if his arm falls off.
3. The Red Sox don't have Grady Little managing them
4. Infield and outfield defense is much better in Boston
5. Boston's bullpen is hands down better than NY

See you in October
The Red Sox Win, The Red Sox Win, My Gramma can rest in peace, The Red Sox win
OldeTowneTeamGuy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers