Return to Baseball Leftovers

Magglio Ordonez, Where to draft?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GSes » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:29 am

I am one of the few who think Sheffield with out a doubt should be taken over Mags.

I see Mags as a 2nd round pick, honestly though I would rather get a guy an ace SP in the 2nd rd then Mags. I don't see how you can take Mags in the 1st round, Manny is better then Mags and I don't think he is a 1st rd pick either. The 1st rd of's should be Pujols, Beltran, Bonds, Vlad, and Sheff...then depending on league size Mags, Manny, Vernon Wells, Brian Giles.

In a 12 team league, I would take Mags anytime in the 2nd round but not the 1st.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:40 am

GSes wrote:I am one of the few who think Sheffield with out a doubt should be taken over Mags.

In a 12 team league, I would take Mags anytime in the 2nd round but not the 1st.

Damn right! ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:33 am

Some people think that Mags will steal 25 again. I expect around 10 and would be happy getting him with a 2nd round pick. If you wait til the 3rd I bet he won't be there.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -949)

Postby trevisc » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:10 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Some people think that Mags will steal 25 again. I expect around 10 and would be happy getting him with a 2nd round pick. If you wait til the 3rd I bet he won't be there.

sounds like a fair assesment. I'd take him early 2nd round and be happy
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Guinness13 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:47 pm

I would take him late second, early third depending on the size of the league ;-D
Guinness for Strength!!
Guinness13
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -3)

Postby mikcou » Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:26 pm

Sreit160 wrote:Alot of the White Sox started off terribly last season (Konerko,Magglio etc...) but Magglio rebounded nicely and I'd definitely take him as a second rounder. If he's there in the 3'rd then jump on it.

Agreed ;-D
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -63)

Postby AuburnTigers » Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:02 pm

I would also say late second round is about right. Most people take him early because he is so well rounded(avg, rbi, power, and steals). The 9sb last year is something to be worried about. I dont think he steals any more than 15 this year so thats why I would wait a little longer to draft him
AuburnTigers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby NZF » Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:14 pm

mikcou wrote:
Sreit160 wrote:Alot of the White Sox started off terribly last season (Konerko,Magglio etc...) but Magglio rebounded nicely and I'd definitely take him as a second rounder. If he's there in the 3'rd then jump on it.

Agreed ;-D

Konerko not only started off horribly but he continued that pretty much for 6 months. Can't remember anyone else in the Wsox reversing 2002 form? In fact Carlos Lee had a breakout season.

Maggs had a better 2nd half but his 1st half wasn't too bad, just not in the Top Tier of OF's. The concern is with his overall numbers. His whole career he has improved every season. He's now 30 and his numbers last year were way down on 2002. The fact is there is more downside than upside from that career year. If you see him as a definite 2nd rounder you are willing to punt on something I sure will not be. IMO Garet Anderson will give you just as good a numbers (with Vlad batting now at 3, very probably even better) and I'll pick him up in the 3rd round thanks.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -27)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers