Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pitching question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pitching question

Postby Sreit160 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:41 pm

Hey guys,
In one league I'm in,instead of drafting individual pitchers we draft team pitching staffs. So,obviously,a strong staff top-to-bottom is very important in this league. At the end of last season I had the Dodgers staff and the Marlins staff and I can keep one of those for this upcoming season if I choose. I was leaning towards keeping the Marlins and throwing the Dodgers back but now the talk of them maybe getting Maddux has me re-thinking my strategy.So,my question is which staff,as a whole,would you guys rather have? Thanks!
Sreit160
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby kentx12 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:10 pm

I would go with the Marlins regardless. If you didn't get to keep 1 it might be diffrent but the Marlins have way too much young talent to pass up on.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -47)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Apex » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:24 pm

That's a tough question. Like Kent said, the Marlins have some good young pitchers, but depending on how much saves count in your scoring system, having Gagne in addition to their starting staff would be really nice. You might give up some wins, but ERA, WHIP and saves would be hard to beat for the rest of the league.
Apex
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TownDrunk » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:32 pm

That is a tough question. If this is a keeper league, I say go with the Marlins. If it isn't, I say go with the Dodgers.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter
(Past Year: -1)

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:51 pm

go for the dodgers, they have great pitching in starters, relievers, and have teh most dominant starter, they have 2 future aces in waiting in jackson and miller, while i do like the marlins young staff, they dont have the whole package, and the dodgers will have it for at least another 5 years and then you are left with jackson and miller, with gagne and a stud pen, the marlins have no pen and who is gonna close for them benetiz, id rather see lowell out on the mound

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby bsblallstr » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:07 pm

i gotta agree with the guests post above, jackson and miller will be studs, they have a great bullpen and young closer who is a stud, the marlins bullpen is just no match
Reyes and guerrero, the two most blessed players in the league, not to mention the most fun to watch
bsblallstr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Yea...Switch it up

Postby harry_karry » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:16 pm

I think you should take the entire Cubs pen and transfer it to your choice team...therefore having the greatest pitching roster in the histroy of the game...
If the moon was made out of spare ribs would you eat it....ur thoughts
Cubs Win...Cubs Win...
harry_karry
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby prodpaul » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:19 am

I would say Cubs or Astros.
Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -178)

Postby weitliz » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:26 am

I think I would stick with the Dodgers pitching staff for this coming year. I am generally a proponent that guaranteed production is better than unknowns in fantasy baseball, at least in this context. The Dodgers pitching staff, while lacking a true ace, is very solid. If they sign Maddux, I look for them to trade an arm for a bat, something that will help the win totals of Dodgers pitchers.

The Marlins staff has a chance to be spectacular, but I believe the unknowns (Has the league figured out Willis? Has Burnett completely recovered from surgery?) could kill your staff this season.
weitliz
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Pitching question

Postby trevisc » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:30 am

Sreit160 wrote:Hey guys,
In one league I'm in,instead of drafting individual pitchers we draft team pitching staffs. So,obviously,a strong staff top-to-bottom is very important in this league. At the end of last season I had the Dodgers staff and the Marlins staff and I can keep one of those for this upcoming season if I choose. I was leaning towards keeping the Marlins and throwing the Dodgers back but now the talk of them maybe getting Maddux has me re-thinking my strategy.So,my question is which staff,as a whole,would you guys rather have? Thanks!

I'd definitely take the Marlins staff over the Dodgers. I will be highly suprised if Maddog signs with LA
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Return to Baseball Leftovers