Return to Baseball Leftovers

++++ Rocco Baldelli decline for 2004? +++++

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

++++ Rocco Baldelli decline for 2004? +++++

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:24 pm

I'm a little concerned w/ this guy heading into 2004. I know that he's young and his future may be filled with riches, but this guy just has to learn to work the count. To be perfectly honest I don't think he'll match or better his 289 BA until he does.

Word from TB is that he gained 30pds from last season which is a cause of concern in the steals department and for all those IF hits he had...It may increase his power numbers, and that could be a BIG may,..and it may com at a huge expense

In a worst case scenario you might even see 240-250 avg w/ less steals and the same/little more hr power.

Take away his speed and drop the avg and you have a fantasy knightmare that you paid 20.oo for on draft day

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Re: ++++ Rocco Baldelli decline for 2004? +++++

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:28 pm

Anonymous wrote:I'm a little concerned w/ this guy heading into 2004. I know that he's young and his future may be filled with riches, but this guy just has to learn to work the count. To be perfectly honest I don't think he'll match or better his 289 BA until he does.

Word from TB is that he gained 30pds from last season which is a cause of concern in the steals department and for all those IF hits he had...It may increase his power numbers, and that could be a BIG may,..and it may com at a huge expense

In a worst case scenario you might even see 240-250 avg w/ less steals and the same/little more hr power.

Take away his speed and drop the avg and you have a fantasy knightmare that you paid 20.oo for on draft day

20 bucks? Are you kidding? Yeah, I think he won't repeat this year.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -93)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Erboes » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:32 pm

I wouldn't touch him for over $10. He's an athlete masquerading as a ballplayer. Spend the money on Crawford. I think he's the real deal.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby trevisc » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:38 pm

I didn't see anything about that...

he weighed 210 last year so he's up to 240 now?
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:57 pm

Baldelli was listed at 185 last yr...........

regardless of it ..he has put on some weight this offseason

Right now the player I liken him to is J. Encarnacion w/ less power.

Of course he can improve and easily be better then that.

As for Crawford....there are some holes in his game...He also can't take a pitch and wants to yank jack the ball out of the park. If he could learn to take a BB he would swipe 100 bases......If in fact he does learn to be more selective his wheels will prob not be what they are now.

I'm not saying that he will but In the future he could turn out to be one of those Shannon Stewart types which isn't very valuable in fantasy baseball..

In the best case scenario he might hit 30 hr's..it won't be this year though..and he will prob stop running once his power comes..turning him into Rondell White

Postby justinA » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:01 pm

damn man.. everybody is raggin on mah boy Rocco. Dont worry, he'll show all u nay-sayers. Just watch. Its interesting how I heard the exact same kind of patience talk after Soriano's first year. Yea, he turned out really bad.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ukjohn » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:08 pm

I don't think he will be a great OF. He won't be a complete bust, but he will be over valued in drafts.
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -18)

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:10 pm

Baldelli has an upside......He's very young and and if he works on his game can be an All Star.

I just don't think he'll be one this year, and unless plate dicipline comes he will never be...

You can't go up there swinging at everything on every AB and be a highly successful MLB player. There's plenty of time for him to figure it out though because of his age.

Postby jbird669 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:30 pm

The owner in my league who has him for a $1 is keeping him. You can't go wrong at that price. If he doesn't pan out, no harm done.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 26)

Postby gypsyspot » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:36 pm

I think that Rocco, Huff, and Crawford will all have good years. Rocco could even swipe a few more bags this year.
I know the future!!!!!!!
gypsyspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers