[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter
(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:35 pm

Reyes might not even be the best 2B in a few years.....Weeks should be up and ready to dominate by then. Not that it has anything to do with it, but just because old 2B's will retire doesn't mean young ones like Giles, Soraino, Weeks won't be around.

And Cabrera has been predicted to put up similar numbers to Manny Ramirez. I see more RBI then 120 if he does what he's expected to do. Lets say Cabrera turns out like Ramirez, and Reyes turns out like Soriano, but with 20 less HR's. Who do you take? It'd be a tough call, but I'd probably have to go with Reyes based on his position.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby joshheines » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:57 pm

Rickie Weeks isn't the best 2B in the minors and he will no way be the #1 guy in baseball. He's projected at putting up 12-15 HR with 15-20 steals and a nice AVG. BA has Josh Barfield putting up .300-plus average, 40 doubles, 25 homers, 110 RBIs. He's the real deal.
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -3)

Postby ukjohn » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:04 pm

these Met fans kill me, :*)

Cabrera
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -18)

Postby joshheines » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:19 pm

Why do we kill you? I can think of 10 OF off the top of my head with .300+ AVG ability and 35-40 HR ability. Pujols, Bonds, Manny, Vlad, Magglio, Sheffield, V. Wells, Beltran (a stretch on the HR, but his SB make up the deficiency), Brian Giles, and Aubrey Huff. Now how many 2B in baseball have the ability to hit .300 + AVG with ~15 HR and ~40 SB? Hmmm...Soriano and that's about it. Think about it. Where are people drafting Pierre? 3rd or 4th round? If Pierre played 2B where would he get drafted? 2nd or 3rd round? If Pierre played 2B and gave you 15 HR and 40 SB . . . oh you get the picture. Reyes is a special player because of his ability and his weak offensive position. There are a good number of OF who have the ability, key word being ability, which is all Cabrera and Reyes have right now, to do what Cabrera might be able to do. The kid is going to be special, but to stick out in the OF you need to do what Pujols did or do what Vlad and Beltran do in being a 5 category stud.

Now I don't want to hear anymore "dittos" or "I agree. M Cab's all the way" The Reyes voice has spoken, WHY do you like Cabrera over Reyes?
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -3)

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:50 pm

Your numbers:
.320/40/120 for Cabrera
.310/15/65/100 and 55 SBs for Reyes

do you know how many players in the league achieved "cabrera's" numbers last year....one, Pujols. Sheff was close (fell short by 1 HR)

that is why I would take him over Reyes. It's one thing to draft based on postion scarcity, but if we are assuming Cabrera is the above type player, you don't pass that up. Position scarcity moves a guy from the 4th to the 2nd...it doesn't make him a top pick. Guys like ARod and Sori aren't drafted top 5 because they put up good numbers relative to their position, it's becasue they put up RIDICULOUS numbers relative to their postion and relative to the rest of the league... and they hit 40hrs. Using the numbers you project Reyes at, the best comparison is to Jeter a few years ago when ss was the thinnest postion 15HR 30-40steals 100 runs .300+ avg...that's exactly what Jeter was...and no one ever thought to make him a top 5 pick. Look at Renteria last yr .330/13/100/96/34 at a thin position (which is a great yr for any middle IF, including Reyes). .... he goes no higher than 3rd rounds in any draft you look at, behind guys like Sheff, Maggs, Beltran, Pujols, etc.....

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Sreit160 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:01 pm

I like Cabrera alot but realistically his production will most likely fall in line with alot of other good,solid outfielders. Reyes on the other hand could easily be a top 8 second baseman based upon the lack of depth at the position so I like Reyes a little bit more.
Sreit160
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby moose » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:48 pm

Because of scarcity , its Reyes by a mile. Cabrera should be very good. But you can draft a power hitting outfielder at any time.

Of course, the legions of Mets haters here will disagree.
moose
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -2)

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:45 pm

i love both these guys, reyes will be stud, but i dont think he will ever develop that much power, and in a keeper league he will be moving back to SS in a few years so remember that, and cabrera will probably go back to 3B in a couple years, cabrera has the potential to put up monster numbers, and is a little riskier, reyes will put up solid numbers for a long time, and isnt as risky, both players will probably move away from their pitchers parks as they get older, at least cabrera will as the marlins wont have the money to pay him.

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:35 pm

Reyes

Position and category (SB) scarcity. Stealing bases is a lost art with the ballparks being built and guys getting bigger and bigger.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers