Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brighter future, Cabrera or Reyes?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brighter future, Cabrera or Reyes?

Postby SoxFanPJ » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:26 am

Think ahead to my draft where both will likely be available.

I pick 7th in a 12 team, 7 keeper league. Basically the league draft starts in round 8 of a normal draft.

Who is more valuable for this year and the future?

M. Cabrera (3b/of) or J. Reyes (ss/2b) ?
SoxFanPJ
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:43 am

Cabrera...not even close

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby joshheines » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:52 am

You say Miggy and it's not even close? Are you on crack? Cabrera will be a regular OF for the next 15 years. His upside is .320 AVG, 40 HR, 120 RBI. Reyes will be at 2B for the forseeable future. His upside is .310 AVG, 15 HR, 40 SB and 100 + runs. Given position scarcity and the fact that most of the good 2B are really old (Kent and Boone), I'll take Reyes. I mean look how highly people regard Marcus Giles, almost completely due to position scarcity.

Reyes in the man-child!
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -3)

Postby trevisc » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:41 pm

M. Cab all the way
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby KPucks » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:47 pm

I like Reyes. I don't think Cabrera will match the predictions of 35+ homers and awesome average. Also, as mentioned above, Reyes will be the best player at 2B for years to come.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -33)

Postby joshheines » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:53 pm

Reyes has the ability to be Robbie Alomar. Replicating Alomar's 1993 season of 109 runs, 17 HR, 93 RBI, 55 SB, and .326 AVG is atainable for Reyes. He has the ability, the team depenedant numbers will fluctuate and he certainly has the speed to get 55 SB.
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby diesel99xx » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:05 pm

Absolutely, I would take Reyes but Cabrera should be very good as well. I agree with position scarcity, but i think reyes potential is
310-320 20-25hr's 100+ runs 75+rbi's 50+steals
I have high hopes for him
diesel99xx
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:14 pm

I am a met fan as well, and a reyes fan. But, I think you guys are being a bit optmistic. He is way too young to predict how many HRs he is capable of hitting, but 20 seems a bit high right now. Even crazier, 93rbis? come on. He will be a lead off/#2 hitter his entire career, and unless he is soriano (capable of hitting 40HRs) he won't come close to that. That makes him at .300/15/65/100/40 player, which is great.

Cabrera is the real deal. I've already heard a few GMs and scouts say that they would take him over Pujols. Obviously, they could all be wrong, but that is a pretty nice endorsement for 20yr old. And it is fair to assume that the scouts know more than anyone in this forum. Also, I would say that he might not be a career OF. there is a very good chance that Lowell is traded mid year or that he will be released from his K when they don't get a new stadium. At which pt, Cabrera moves to 3B.

With both of these players we can only goes on projections of whattheyare capable of. Joshheines, with the numebrs you projected for Cabrera, you obviously believe he is at least has the potential to do what Pujols is doing. That being said, isn't Pujols pretty much the cinsensu #2/#3 pick int he draft (even though he is only 1B/OF eligible). Are you saying, then, that Reyes is a 1st pick caliber player

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby joshheines » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:20 pm

If Reyes gets to .320 AVG, 15 HR, 55 SB and 110 runs at second base? I'd have to say you should consider him with one of the first picks. Which is all just conjecture at this point.
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby kentx12 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:50 pm

trevisc wrote:M. Cab all the way

Ditto ;-D
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -47)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers