Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bill James Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bill James Fantasy Baseball

Postby hartbc » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:02 am

Hello to all, this is the first post from someone who has just discovered these forums. I'm looking to get back into fantasy baseball after being out for a few years and i had a few quick questions:

1. Bill James Fantasy Baseball--When did it loose his name and just become Stats?
2. Actually, i have a second Stats question. When did they get rid of the free on-line transactions?

I am thinking of joining a Stats league--as my questions seem to indicate. Would any one recommend this, or is their perhaps a better alternative? Thanks in advance for any help.
hartbc
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 94
Joined: 3 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Stuck in Chicago until my gf finishes law school.

Re: Bill James Fantasy Baseball

Postby wrveres » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:32 am

hartbc wrote:Hello to all, this is the first post from someone who has just discovered these forums. I'm looking to get back into fantasy baseball after being out for a few years and i had a few quick questions:

1. Bill James Fantasy Baseball--When did it loose his name and just become Stats?
2. Actually, i have a second Stats question. When did they get rid of the free on-line transactions?

I am thinking of joining a Stats league--as my questions seem to indicate. Would any one recommend this, or is their perhaps a better alternative? Thanks in advance for any help.


well welcome to the "Cafe". "Bill James Fantasy Baseball" is now known as the Oakland A's .. :-D

.. you have been gone for a while. WB.
As far as free .... Just Yahoo and this wonderful cafe.
There is still tons of free information though. This is probably your best source to get back on your feet and locate that info. Feel free to sit down, have a coffee and ask a question ..

again.. welcome to the cafe ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31204
(Past Year: -313)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swingaway » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:50 am

Welcome to the Cafeand beaware of this madison guy hes one of the hot shots on this site along with the guy that just posted in front of me and also arlo and the rest of the moderators and admin. lol.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 1618
(Past Year: -20)
Joined: 6 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: at the cafe

Postby Madison » Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:54 pm

Welcome to the Cafe'. ;-D

Not sure about "Bill James Fantasy Baseball". Maybe someone here knows something about it?

Look forward to seeing you around. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 48715
(Past Year: -5140)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby mocabeenow » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:16 pm

Madison, i'm a fan of your bowling signature. any fantasy bowling out there? ;-D

Also known as
~Moc 800
(which is a goal of mine, haven't accomplished yet!)
747 is best.
mocabeenow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1135
(Past Year: -4)
Joined: 27 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: CA

Postby hartbc » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:19 pm

Thanks. No, I knew about the A's, but I wasn't sure if he had some fallen out with Stats or not.
hartbc
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 94
Joined: 3 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Stuck in Chicago until my gf finishes law school.

Postby The Zot » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:16 pm

I play in a Bill James League, so I can try and help. Bill James invented an alternative to roto well over ten years ago, a very stat based head to head game that relied on a lot of points given for various categories. In its infancy, BJFB was a mail in that grew into a call in setup. They managed the leagues and you could have private freezer leagues etc. In 1993, they moved to the STATS banner, because Bill James had a contract to provide MLB their stats, so his company also then provided the points to BJFB. They eventually merged the names and several years ago went to a web based system. All this of course cost money, and i have always remembered paying a transaction fee to move players up and down. about two years ago, STATS sold the game, or leased it, to Fox Sports who streamlined the website and made it much easier to use.

If you are into Statistics, this is the game to play, even though it's a bit pricey, $49.95 for a team, and 50 cents per transactions. All in all it's a great game that makes the box scores much more interesting. http://www.stats.com is the website and i encourage everyone to check it out.

;-D
Piss Poor planning on your part does not constitue an emergency on my part
The Zot
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 48
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Anchorage, AK (brrrrrrr)

Postby Madison » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:59 pm

mocabeenow wrote:Madison, i'm a fan of your bowling signature. any fantasy bowling out there? ;-D

Also known as
~Moc 800
(which is a goal of mine, haven't accomplished yet!)
747 is best.


Oddly enough, there is fantasy bowling. 8-o

I haven't tried it yet though. :-D

Tournament competition is where I earn a living, along with giving a few lessons here and there. I'm a certified instructor. ;-)

Might be dropping the Top Fuel out of my signature and replacing it with: Triple X-Factor by Storm pretty soon. The ball just hit the market and I'll probably be giving it a test run next week or the week after. :-)

Anyway, sorry this post is so off topic everyone. O:-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 48715
(Past Year: -5140)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby Madison » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:00 pm

The Zot wrote:I play in a Bill James League, so I can try and help. Bill James invented an alternative to roto well over ten years ago, a very stat based head to head game that relied on a lot of points given for various categories. In its infancy, BJFB was a mail in that grew into a call in setup. They managed the leagues and you could have private freezer leagues etc. In 1993, they moved to the STATS banner, because Bill James had a contract to provide MLB their stats, so his company also then provided the points to BJFB. They eventually merged the names and several years ago went to a web based system. All this of course cost money, and i have always remembered paying a transaction fee to move players up and down. about two years ago, STATS sold the game, or leased it, to Fox Sports who streamlined the website and made it much easier to use.

If you are into Statistics, this is the game to play, even though it's a bit pricey, $49.95 for a team, and 50 cents per transactions. All in all it's a great game that makes the box scores much more interesting. http://www.stats.com is the website and i encourage everyone to check it out.

;-D


Thanks for the info Zot! ;-D It's appreciated! :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 48715
(Past Year: -5140)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby trevisc » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:01 pm

wow..that does cost a lot.

Have a great time here at the Cafe! The advice here is free and some say it's worth every penny you paid for it!
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 11013
(Past Year: -258)
Joined: 6 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion


Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests