Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tigers and Pudge agree to deal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:48 am

ramble2 wrote:Maybe, just maybe, I Rod is looking beyond his playing career. Perhaps he sees this as an opportunity to set himself up for a front office or coaching job after his playing days are done. Sure Boras is a PR disaster for his players, but I think people are being quick to judge I Rod. What happens if 4 years from now, when I Rod is ready to call it quits, Detroit has a competitive, hard playing squad? What if the players and coaches laud I Rod for teaching the young players to focus on the fundamentals and teaching them how to succeed at the MLB level? Maybe it's about the money, or maybe I Rod sees other opportunities here as well.

Ramble, I agree with you on this entire post, except this. Pudge will only manage for, or work with, the organization that pays him the most. His actions during the 2 offseasons have convinced me of this. This was just plain stupid on Pudges behalf and I can't really see any other way to convince me that, signing in Detroit, is good for Pudges career. His Agent failed him.

As for Detroit. I'm glad they are making an effort. I happen to live in a city where ownership is driving away the fans, and sueing the city. The same city that guarantees them 'sellouts' everyweek. (Chargers) so I know where you are coming from.

As for our sport, Roto, there is some nice sleepers in Detroit IMO!!! 8-o Pudge is not one of them because he will not earn close to his value this season.

damn I need more kool-aid
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bullets » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:20 am

i'm comparing detroit's lineup to the marlins "baseball genius." it was in reference to pudge's fantasy value, if you didn't understand it i'll just spell it all out next time for the slower genius. ;-D you really interpreted that as pudge being a downgrade to inge?

thats real smart thinking there platobread, bail on the young guys to lose less. in that case i'll take teixeira for palmeiro in a keeper league. so what if you lost 119, play for the future not the present. makes no difference if you overhauled management if they make poor decisions. vina and white are only temporary fillers for the year, i'm talking about filling spots your farm system can't fill when you get good. your bailing on weaver for a bad year in NY?

keep it civil cornbread anyone can talk behind a computer ;-D
Bullets
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:37 am

Bullets wrote:i'm comparing detroit's lineup to the marlins "baseball genius." it was in reference to pudge's fantasy value, if you didn't understand it i'll just spell it all out next time for the slower genius. ;-D you really interpreted that as pudge being a downgrade to inge?

thats real smart thinking there platobread, bail on the young guys to lose less. in that case i'll take teixeira for palmeiro in a keeper league. so what if you lost 119, play for the future not the present. makes no difference if you overhauled management if they make poor decisions. vina and white are only temporary fillers for the year, i'm talking about filling spots your farm system can't fill when you get good. your bailing on weaver for a bad year in NY?

keep it civil cornbread anyone can talk behind a computer ;-D

First of all, I want to apologize to you, bullet. I can sometimes get carried away when people attack my team. I am sorry I offended you.

A couple of things. Last yr proved to us who was ready, and who was not. We arent bailing on our youngsters, we are letting them progress the way they should - in the minors. The signings and trade were 100% necessary. Anyone who follows the Tigers will agree with that.
Our new management has made some pretty intelligent moves in my opinion. The first major signing was Dmitri Young to a long term deal - some say we overpaid, but Im willing to say it was worth it. Alex Sanchez looks like a fine young speedster. Then we traded Weaver at the hight of his value for one of the top young 1b prospects in the game - Pena. We are still getting out from some terrible contracts left by the old management (Palmer, Easley, etc...). Again, ask the fans and people familiar with the Tigers if we think the management has been bad.
Since last yr, we have replaced 4 kids hitting <.225 with 4 guys who hit around .280 our higher, and at the same time, upgraded our defense. Our rotation got stronger, as well as our bullpen.

Again, I want to apologize for attacking you, bullets, but please dont make baseless attacks on this team. Im sure with a bit of research you will see that the team you are putting down is actually not as bad as you want to believe.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:15 pm

Ramble2 wrote:I Rods stats likely won't take a big hit due to Comerica:

Pro Player BPIs for RHB:
Avg: 96; HR: 76

Comerica BPI for RHB:
Avg: 90; HR 88

Thanks Ramble. ;-D

I've been preaching that Pudge's value does not take a significant hit by going to Detroit. I have not changed my ranking for him at all. He's still going to be a solid contributer next year and I'll be happy to have him on any of my teams. From the looks of most of the opinions, I'll be able to get him cheaper than I previously thought. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:50 pm

I am hesitant to post in this thread because I'm not sure but I may be a Tiger-basher (I did suggest that the best move the Tigers could make would be to sign Michelle Wie to bat clean-up for them because it couldn't make matters any worse).

It seems to me that these lauded signings are nothing more than a finger in a leaking dam. Their hitting may improve (could it get any worse?) but you still have to put the ball over the plate.

The Tiger's top 3 starters:
1) lost 57 games last year
2) had a combined ERA of over 5.00
3) were an average age of under 23 last year

This was in what is described as a pitchers park.
Somebody should call children's aid because that was child abuse.
They are throwing good young talent to the wolves and should be criticized for it. Forget about signing Pudge to bat 4 times a game - why not sign a Miguel Batista-type to eat some innings so that Maroth and Bonderman do not need counselling and Prozac to get through the next season?

Who can even name their other 2 starters?

How can they possibly justify $40 M on Pudge?!?

This is like the Mavericks signing A. Walker or the NY Rangers signing J. Jagr - nice but who cares?

(Sorry Cornbread - this may all be sour grapes - I am still bitter about Doyle Alexander and the whole 1986 ALCS thing)
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -416)

Postby Bullets » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:51 am

I apologize as well maxwell, i have no right to criticize detroit. I don't particularly know how bad it is for a team to hit rock bottom in the MLB, but as my name indicates, bullets - aka wizards, i know the pain in the NBA. Clippers and wizards have been a joke for a long time in the NBA. I will use more discretion when i post from now on. I just thought it was a stange move from both parties. I guess some of the tigers need a little more time on the farm if they will ever develop. The pudge signing certainly doesn't hurt detroit. Detroit should be at least 10-15 games better this year, the tigers have improved at most positions. I have always been a fan of D.Young, hes a solid player. I wish detroit the best of luck this year. I didnt' mean to say that i was offended, its hard to offend me over the internet. I sincerely hope you have a better season up there. I just put forth my opinion, which certainly may be wrong, as the tigers are better.
Bullets
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers