Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baseball Weekly

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Baseball Weekly

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:30 am

I really enjoy the USA Today's Baseball Weekly and I buy it every week, even after they changed to Sports Weekly because I've been playing a lot of fantasy football.

Does anyone know whether they will go back to being Baseball Weekly once the football season is over?

Does anyone know whether they are expanding their fantasy section. It has been slowly expanding every year - in my universe the fantasy section splits off and publishes its own weekly paper.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -416)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Baseball Weekly

Postby trevisc » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:35 am

Mookie4ever wrote:I really enjoy the USA Today's Baseball Weekly and I buy it every week, even after they changed to Sports Weekly because I've been playing a lot of fantasy football.

Does anyone know whether they will go back to being Baseball Weekly once the football season is over?

Does anyone know whether they are expanding their fantasy section. It has been slowly expanding every year - in my universe the fantasy section splits off and publishes its own weekly paper.

I noticed they changed their name too. I don't guess it matters as long as their main focus is on Baseball
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

name change

Postby TheFatman » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:18 am

Mookie, the name change to Sports Weekly is there to stay. Once the Baseball season is over the focus will turn to football. You'll notice this because the football section will be in the front of the paper. I've been a subscriber for three years now. When the initial switched happened they wrote a blurb in Baseball Weekly saying they were going to be covering Football too and that the name would thus change to Sports Weekly. As far as the fantasy section goes, I'd assume since it has grown so much in the last few years they will continue to expand the section on it. I hope this helps. For now it seems the fantasy sections will take up 2-3 pages of print.
TheFatman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby the_tenman » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:34 am

I have a subscription and it makes for a nice "up to date" read! ;-D
the_tenman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby moose » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:19 am

I hated the change and still do. If there was another weekly option Id cancel Weekly and switch to that. Their coverage of baseball is much more sparse these days. I've already written them complaining about it but its here to stay. I guarrantee you they will switch to ALL sports soon. Just like Sporting News did - you watch. They rationalized the first switch by saying the wanted to expand their shrinking subscription base. Well why wont they simply expand it further? They do and I'm gone. :-t
moose
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -2)

Postby trevisc » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:53 pm

moose wrote:I hated the change and still do. If there was another weekly option Id cancel Weekly and switch to that. Their coverage of baseball is much more sparse these days. I've already written them complaining about it but its here to stay. I guarrantee you they will switch to ALL sports soon. Just like Sporting News did - you watch. They rationalized the first switch by saying the wanted to expand their shrinking subscription base. Well why wont they simply expand it further? They do and I'm gone. :-t

that's exactly why I don't subscribe to Sporting News any more. There is one back page for fantasy baseball during the season.

Sux
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

By the way...

Postby Spokes » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:17 pm

Sports Weekly's fantasy baseball issue comes out next week. I'll pick it up. Can never get enough info if you know how to use it.
The best lyric ever: "You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you gotta glass jaw you should watch your mouth...'cause I'll break yo face."
Spokes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby moose » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:39 pm

Yeah their fantasy issue is very good. ;-D
moose
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -2)

Postby ramble2 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:59 pm

moose wrote:Yeah their fantasy issue is very good. ;-D

Ugh, are you kidding me?! We get it every year just to have a laugh. I might still have mine from last year around somewhere, if I do I'll try and post some of what they predicted last year. All I remember off the top of my head was that they had Radke in the top 10 (maybe even top 5) pitchers last year. Horrible.

The good thing about it is that it is published well after the fantasy mags, so it has more up to date information about where players are located, injuries and position battles. But if past issues are any indication, don't rely on this when you are going into your draft.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)

Postby moose » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:15 pm

I mainly rely on two things

Baseball Prospectus
and Baseball Forecaster

They are all you need.
moose