Page 6 of 8

Re: Studies show Death Penalty works

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:57 pm
by Amazinz
I think Cornbread makes a good point. It's like the old adage about locks and laws, they're intended to keep honest people honest. Sociopath's are likely to do what they do even if we could threaten them with eternal damnation.

Re: Studies show Death Penalty works

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:30 pm
by Big Pimpin
deerayfan072 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I think Cornbread makes a good point. It's like the old adage about locks and laws, they're intended to keep honest people honest. Sociopath's are likely to do what they do even if we could threaten them with eternal damnation.



exactly which is why the death penalty does not work to deter


I believe your argument only works if you assume that everyone is a sociopath.

Re: Studies show Death Penalty works

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:08 pm
by Big Pimpin
deerayfan072 wrote:No, honest people are honest b/c they are honest not b/c they are worried about being put to death. Also, death is ONLY instituted for Murder. Murder is usually a crime of passion, or an accident while doing something else illegal. Either way the DP never goes through there mind in that instance. I could be pretty sure that no one ever went i think i will kill so and so, wait i could be put to death for that, i think i won't and will go about my day now


Isn't the death penalty typically applied only in cases of first degree murder? So you're really telling me that most people who are going to plan out something like killing another person are not going to think at all about the consequences of their actions? Maybe that really is the truth, and if so I would say we're better off the quicker they're gone. Maybe just shoot them right in the courtroom when the guilty verdict is handed down.

Maybe we should just make the death penalty applicable to more criminal offenses (maybe any violent offense... any time you rape, kill, shoot upon, etc.) and cut appeals out altogether. That should clean people up. Plus put some scummy lawyers out of work, which would be a nice side benefit. :> No offense to non-scummy lawyers of course.

Re: Studies show Death Penalty works

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:14 pm
by Amazinz
Well for the record, whether or not the death penalty works as a deterrent is irrelevant to me. For me it is simply whether or not death is a just punishment for the crime in question.

Re: Studies show Death Penalty works

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:21 pm
by Big Pimpin
Amazinz wrote:Well for the record, whether or not the death penalty works as a deterrent is irrelevant to me. For me it is simply whether or not death is a just punishment for the crime in question.


Yeah that's pretty much where I am as well.

Re: Studies show Death Penalty works

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:53 pm
by Lofunzo
deerayfan072 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I think Cornbread makes a good point. It's like the old adage about locks and laws, they're intended to keep honest people honest. Sociopath's are likely to do what they do even if we could threaten them with eternal damnation.



exactly which is why the death penalty does not work to deter


I agree AND disagree. I disagree in that, for many of them, they knew of the consequences at some point. If they are in a state of mind at the time (mental, drugs, etc.) that doesn't allow them to do so, that doesn't mean that they never considered it. Just that they didn't at the time. That's where I agree with you.

Re: Studies show Death Penalty works

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:54 pm
by Lofunzo
Amazinz wrote:Well for the record, whether or not the death penalty works as a deterrent is irrelevant to me. For me it is simply whether or not death is a just punishment for the crime in question.


Agreed and, if it deters 1 person, that is reason enough to have it. I would love to see a study that shows that it has never deterred anyone.

Re: Studies show Death Penalty works

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:05 pm
by Coppermine
NPR's "All Things Considered" has been running an amazing story this week about Larry Peterson, a man accused and convicted of a 1987 rape and murder of a young woman. He was sentenced to 40 years in prison based on witness testimony and hairs found at the crime scene that "compared" to Peterson's using the available technology of the time. It wasn't until 2005 that the evidence was re-examined using DNA evidence, effectively clearing Peterson of the crime... after 17 years in prison. Now the state of New Jersey says they don't owe him a thing.

It's an interesting story and quite amazing; but there are a lot of people in jail right now convicted based on evidence used prior to DNA testing, many of which have not been re-tried. Others have already been executed. Certainly not all of them are innocent, but it's hard to imagine how many may be.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=10961075