Return to General Talk

Studies show Death Penalty works

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Studies show Death Penalty works

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm

Basically, I guess that I am asking for a complete overhaul of the system then. Like I said, I am only in favor of executions in cases of zero doubt. In those cases, I would like to see no appeal process. I know that will never happen but this is what I would like in an ideal world.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23082
(Past Year: -616)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Re: Studies show Death Penalty works

Postby wrveres » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:54 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Basically, I guess that I am asking for a complete overhaul of the system then. Like I said, I am only in favor of executions in cases of zero doubt. In those cases, I would like to see no appeal process. I know that will never happen but this is what I would like in an ideal world.

Three witness.
Then drop that rope around their neck within a year. ;D

I'd like to see that study.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31204
(Past Year: -313)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Studies show Death Penalty works

Postby wrveres » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:22 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Basically, I guess that I am asking for a complete overhaul of the system then. Like I said, I am only in favor of executions in cases of zero doubt. In those cases, I would like to see no appeal process. I know that will never happen but this is what I would like in an ideal world.

Three witness.
Then drop that rope around their neck within a year. ;D

I'd like to see that study.



Absoluetly ridiulous. You can find 3 witnesses to say anything u want if you are a prosectution offering someone else a deal. Do this and innocent people will die left and right


if there are three witness to some bum pulling the trigger, or sticking a knife in the Quikie-Mart clerk, there is no reason why they should be on death row for 20 years. None.

Also, if you honestly believe that prosecution attorneys are going to lie and make up evidence in 15,000 murder cases a year, nationwide mind you, well then we have an even bigger problem with our justice system.
Heck I would argue that if prosecution attorneys are making up evidence in at least 1% of the murder cases in this country, the whole system is flawed and we need to start over.

Just because 2 or 3 people a year are mistakingly convicted is no reason to let the other 14,997 people go live with their buddies and watch color tv 24-7 while having meals prepared for them and all their health concerns attended too.
I am not buying it.

Ask anybody in prison. They are not guilty. The man set em up .. whatever.
Its BS.
Maybe two or three cases a year.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31204
(Past Year: -313)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Studies show Death Penalty works

Postby wrveres » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:23 am

deerayfan072 wrote:LO- i do not have the numbers at the moment, but i can tell you i have studied this for 4 years and it costs more to execute somone due to appeals etc etc etc.

would it be fair to say you only studied the one side that you believe in? that maybe you didn't quite have an open mind when reading the counter argument to the death penalty.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31204
(Past Year: -313)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Studies show Death Penalty works

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:29 am

deerayfan - I am interested in the multiple studies you say that prove convicted criminals do not consider the consequences of their actions prior to commiting a crime. While that is probably very true - opponents of the death penalty then usually imply that to mean "people" do not consider the consequences of their actions and therefore the death penalty doesnt work. Clearly you can see the flaw in logic here. Do the studies that you are basing your opinion on take a sample size of everyone in the US or just people convicted of crimes?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5481
(Past Year: -213)
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Studies show Death Penalty works

Postby wrveres » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:48 am

deerayfan072 wrote:No it wouldnt actually. I went into crim mjor as a staunch believer in the death penalty. I became eduacted on the subject, read stories from both sides and realized that stats may be directed either way and i have realized our system is wrong as is.


fair enough
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31204
(Past Year: -313)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron