Return to General Talk

Studies show Death Penalty works

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Studies show Death Penalty works

Postby Coppermine » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:10 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:There have been multiple studies that show that criminals do not even think about that when they commit a crime. They do not think, hmmm if i do this i will get the chair, better not. They think, hmmm i need some money for crack and that place looks like it has money

That brings up a good point too; if people are getting killed over crack, then we need to stop crack. The war on drugs is a joke, because most of the arrests are pot heads who got caught sitting on their couch eating doritos. Unlike crack and heroin dealers, pot heads don't shoot back... but it still boosts those war on drugs stats. Not to say crack heads shouldn't be thrown in jail for shooting someone, but is putting them to death really justice served and a precedent set for other homicidal crack heads?
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -47)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheRock » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:30 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:There have been multiple studies that show that criminals do not even think about that when they commit a crime. They do not think, hmmm if i do this i will get the chair, better not. They think, hmmm i need some money for crack and that place looks like it has money

While that is true, it is also true that violent crimes spike dramatically if there are no consequences for the behavior. I.e. the riots after Katrina. Some violent criminals are just going to be violent criminals no matter what we do. But most people will be influenced by the possibility of getting caught. The possibility of getting caught and getting killed, IMO, can make someone think twice about pulling the trigger. But there's really no way to "prove" that one way or the other.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby TheRock » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:02 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:What is the difference between putting someone in jail for LIFE, no parol ever, and killing them? Why should they be killed if we can put them away for ever, that is the consequence for your action.

Because if they know there's a chance we might kill them, maybe they won't do it in the first place (subject of the entire debate). ;)
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby josebach » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:49 pm

My opinion is split right down the middle on this one. I'm pretty sure there are two facts that everybody agrees with:

1) At one time or another, innocent people have been exectuted for crimes they didn't commit.
2) The only foolproof way to ensure that a convicted murderer never kills again is to execute him.

I personally don't feel that the death penalty is a very good deterrent at all if for no other reason that I don't believe people are actually thinking about the death penalty or lack thereof when they commit murder. Because of this, the two "facts" I listed above are all we have to go on and which one should carry more weight? I for one can't make that determination.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:54 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
josebach wrote:My opinion is split right down the middle on this one. I'm pretty sure there are two facts that everybody agrees with:

1) At one time or another, innocent people have been exectuted for crimes they didn't commit.
2) The only foolproof way to ensure that a convicted murderer never kills again is to execute him.

I personally don't feel that the death penalty is a very good deterrent at all if for no other reason that I don't believe people are actually thinking about the death penalty or lack thereof when they commit murder. Because of this, the two "facts" I listed above are all we have to go on and which one should carry more weight? I for one can't make that determination.

What about Prison for life? I understand they could "escape" but that rarely happens

Surely you're not going to argue that "Life in Prison" actually means spending the rest of your life in prison. 8-) It sure doesn't mean that now...
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -487)

Postby josebach » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:58 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
josebach wrote:My opinion is split right down the middle on this one. I'm pretty sure there are two facts that everybody agrees with:

What about Prison for life? I understand they could "escape" but that rarely happens

Actually, I was referring to the killing of guards or other prisoners.
Last edited by josebach on Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk