Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trade Rumors

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:05 pm

Rounders wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:
ScrappyDoo wrote:WEEI is saying the White Sox were asking too much and the deal is almost dead.

Didn't the ChiSox give Iguchi away last week for one low level prospect? Hmmmm...

But Kenny said that he called every team, and no one was interested in Iguchi until Utley got hurt, so they couldn't get much back since there was only 1 team interested. And the Iguchi move was more to free up a spot to play Richar, so by moving him they didn't have to pay the rest of his contract for the year, and they freed a spot on the roster rather than bringing up Richar and sitting Iguchi on the bench. Iguchi wasn't in their long term plans, so they had to see whether Richar will be good enough to play next year, or if they have to find someone in free agency (possibly Iguchi). Also, because of the Japanese contract that Iguchi is under, Sox wouldn't have gotten a top round pick back in compensation for him when he went to free agency.
I don't think they really have anyone that they want to bring up behind Dye, and there also may be a little more market for Dye than there was for Iguchi, so maybe they're playing a couple teams against each other.

Some good points in there... particularly about compensation - didn't know that. Thanks.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mtxdevil » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:26 pm

If Dotel goes to the Braves, I assume Wickman will still close?
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Rounders » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:49 pm

mtxdevil wrote:If Dotel goes to the Braves, I assume Wickman will still close?

That's the consensus thought in the closer thread.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Mets1978 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:12 pm

The Castillo deal wen through according to Mets.com
Mets1978
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Raf » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:15 pm

"The Dodgers are making a run at Joe Blanton, with a package of three frontline prospects possibly going from Los Angeles to Oakland.
Blanton makes a lot of sense if they tried and failed to get Jon Garland. The Mets were also interested in Blanton, with Oakland likely asking for Lastings Milledge in return. The A's would surely love to get Matt Kemp from the Dodgers, but that seems unlikely. They could ask for Andy LaRoche, Jonathan Meloan and a starting pitching prospect. They don't have third base open for LaRoche, but they could use him in left field next year."

-Rotoworld
Raf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BravesGuy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:26 pm

mtxdevil wrote:If Dotel goes to the Braves, I assume Wickman will still close?

Yep, as long as he's healthy.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 29)

Postby kemper5 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:02 am

I think Gagne is gonna be moved tomorrow. Just saw this. Pick up Benoit guys just in case as Otsuka looks to be out for a while.

Eric Gagne-R-Rangers Jul. 31 - 1:25 am et

The Brewers joined the Yankees, Red Sox and Mets in discussing Eric Gagne with the Rangers on Monday.

GM Doug Melvin still isn't content with his pen after adding Scott Linebrink. The Brewers, like the other teams, would want Gagne as a setup man, though we'd have more faith in Gagne than in Francisco Cordero come playoff time. The Rangers may ask for Derrick Turnbow, Carlos Villanueva or Manny Parra in a Gagne deal.
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Related: Francisco Cordero, Red Sox, Brewers, Mets, Yankees
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Scooter1027 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:44 am

kemper5 wrote:I think Gagne is gonna be moved tomorrow. Just saw this. Pick up Benoit guys just in case as Otsuka looks to be out for a while.

Eric Gagne-R-Rangers Jul. 31 - 1:25 am et

The Brewers joined the Yankees, Red Sox and Mets in discussing Eric Gagne with the Rangers on Monday.

GM Doug Melvin still isn't content with his pen after adding Scott Linebrink. The Brewers, like the other teams, would want Gagne as a setup man, though we'd have more faith in Gagne than in Francisco Cordero come playoff time. The Rangers may ask for Derrick Turnbow, Carlos Villanueva or Manny Parra in a Gagne deal.
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Related: Francisco Cordero, Red Sox, Brewers, Mets, Yankees

Man, this makes me nervous. As much as I'd love to have Gagne aboard and put together a Gagne/Linebrink/Cordero bullpen, I do not want to give up either Villanueva or Parra. We should be building around Gallardo/Villanueva/Parra with an eye toward sustained success. That core of pitching combined with the Braun/Fielder/Hardy/Hart/Hall/Weeks core of hitting should be the basis of this team for 4-6 years or so. I'd be happy to trade Turnbow, especially if they'd take like a Turnbow/Gwynn/lower prospect package or something. But not those other two, please Doug.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers