Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trade Rumors

Postby Scooter1027 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:37 pm

RynMan wrote:
BravesGuy wrote:I think if he is traded then the option goes away and he becomes a FA.

Yeah, I just read the same thing. So honestly, what do the Reds think they can get for him? If I am the Brewers, I'm not trading a lot to acquire him, because he'd be crazy not to test FA at the end of this season.

This is true. Straight up, talent wise, it would take a lot to get a guy like Dunn. But for a 2 month rental, I don't think anyone's gonna send much in the way of elite prospects (like the aforementioned Gallardo). I guess I could maybe see a package like Parra/Gwynn perhaps.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:26 am

Snakes Gould wrote:does this have anything to do with jack wilson and the pitching coach arguing? :-?

No. It has more to do with Jack Wilson making $6+ million next year and hitting .260 for like the 6th year out of 7 (with one 200 hit season in between). I don't see Jack being with the team very much longer...

This is another classicly dumb trade from Littlefield. I'm sure the Cubs would have eventually DFA'd Izturis, but now they get some sort of prospect for him. Hopefully it's no one that good...they could have any of the team's crappy AAA relievers, and I wouldn't care.

Now any team that does want Wilson doesn't have to give up any major piece because they see the Pirates already have someone ready to take his place. What will probably happen is Izturis takes over for the rest of the year, then gets bought out of his contract, then Brian Bixler takes over the SS job full-time in '08. We'll have to see how that all works out...

BTW - The Red Sox are interested in Marte, and the Rockies are interested in Torres.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -250)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby chalk61 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:51 am

Gordon Edes, Globe Staff wrote:Although general manager Theo Epstein said the team is aggressively pursuing deals -- talking with Texas about first baseman Mark Teixeira -- barring a sudden change of heart, the Sox appear determined to hold onto their best prospects, most notably outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury and pitchers Clay Buchholz and Jon Lester. Buchholz is the pitcher most teams ask for. The White Sox were interested in Buchholz in conversations with Boston about pitcher Mark Buehrle, who has signed a contract extension, and outfielder Jermaine Dye, who is a free agent after the season.

The Red Sox are in the market for a righthanded-hitting outfielder who can play center field, filling the role for which Wily Mo Peña has not been the answer, and possibly a veteran lefthanded reliever, a role J.C. Romero was acquired for last winter but was let go. A terrific fit for the Sox would be Arizona outfielder Eric Byrnes, who is having an All-Star-caliber year but is in his free agent year and has been unable to come to terms on an extension. Byrnes, 31, has played all outfield positions for the Diamondbacks -- 64 games in left, 30 in center, and 22 in right -- and is batting .309 with 14 home runs and 51 RBIs. He has stolen 23 bases and is a hustling, aggressive player.

Arizona scout Bill Singer is in Boston this week, but his visit is likely just part of coverage. The Red Sox, with Epstein's former assistant, Josh Byrnes, serving as Arizona GM, have a comfort level with the Diamondbacks, but the D-Backs began the night just five games out of first place in the National League West and Byrnes's price might be prohibitive.

Could a major trade be in the offing? Sure, the Nomar Garciaparra deal did not come together until minutes before the 2004 deadline, but a similar scenario appears unlikely.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/07/20/theyre_shopping_for_help?mode=PF
chalk61
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby nsulham » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:11 am

Heard an interesting way for the Sox to get Tex without having to give up Buchholz or Lester.

Basically, the plan is deal Lowell for a prospect or two then package those prospects with someone like Bowden and also Crisp or Pena for Tex, then shift Youk to 3B.

I think I'd be OK giving two good prospects not named Bucholz or Lester + Pena for Tex. Anything to shake up the offense.

And again, I'm not saying this is happening or has even been discussed, so don't say this is "stupid" or the Sox are "dreaming" if they think Texas will do that. I'm just throwing it out there.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby rentz » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:05 am

nsulham wrote:Heard an interesting way for the Sox to get Tex without having to give up Buchholz or Lester.

Basically, the plan is deal Lowell for a prospect or two then package those prospects with someone like Bowden and also Crisp or Pena for Tex, then shift Youk to 3B.

I think I'd be OK giving two good prospects not named Bucholz or Lester + Pena for Tex. Anything to shake up the offense.

And again, I'm not saying this is happening or has even been discussed, so don't say this is "stupid" or the Sox are "dreaming" if they think Texas will do that. I'm just throwing it out there.

I've heard that same scenario thrown out there too (mostly from the boston media), but I just don't see it happening. The rangers want a top level prospect for teix (a bucholz/lester level guy).
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby IrishSox14 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:36 am

Are there going to be any HUGE moves coming soon? There has just been some small trades and I'm waiting for that Blockbuster ;-D
IrishSox14
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -4)

Postby blankman » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:37 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:http://www.nypost.com/seven/07212007/sp ... herman.htm

Apparently the Rays have offered Wiggington for Proctor.

Just when they start doing something intelligent with their prospects they go and think of this. Take your future #2 or 3 starter and move him to the bullpen because you want to trade your 2nd most durable reliever, who is also only 30 years old, for a career scrub to do what Cairo does.

Luckily this is the Post and they hardly ever get stuff right. But if they are right, Cashman should be fired. There was talk of moving Humberto Sanchez to the pen since he can't stay healthy. I see nothing wrong with that, but you don't just take a stud like Chamberlain and waste his ability by making him into a middle reliever and at the same time rush him up from AA when he's hasn't been a reliever to begin with. If they need a reliever, call up Britton.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers