Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trade Rumors

Postby Rounders » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:47 am

Deuce wrote:
BALCO All-Stars wrote:Just reported on Baseball Tonight:

Jason Kendall to the Cubs for Sean Marshall...not sure if anyone else is involved.

The Cubs needed a C...their callups have been good defensively, but the pitchers have been outhitting them...

Kendall for Rob Bowen and minor leaguer Jerry Blevin

Yeah, Sean Marshall would've been a bit much, but I'm okay with Bowen and a minor leaguer. They were carrying 3 catchers, and they needed to get another pitcher in the bullpen, and now they'll be able to send a catcher down and call up a pitcher.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:04 am

Deuce wrote:
BALCO All-Stars wrote:Just reported on Baseball Tonight:

Jason Kendall to the Cubs for Sean Marshall...not sure if anyone else is involved.

The Cubs needed a C...their callups have been good defensively, but the pitchers have been outhitting them...

Kendall for Rob Bowen and minor leaguer Jerry Blevin

Just wondering what people think of Kendall's value with the Cubs. He was doing absolutely horrible with the A's. Does he get the full time job in Chicago? Does he turn things around in Wrigley? He is on waivers in my league, and I have to have two catchers. Right now I have Barrett and Zaun.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:15 am

deerayfan072 wrote:Closer - They can have whoever it is setup. Look around the league, you can never have too many bullpen arms.
Piazza - insurance for Ortiz of he has to have surgery or take days off to make sure he is ready for the playoffs
Pitcher - everyone could use an extra starter

Why not get an actual set up pitcher who would probably cost less then... but I guess it matters who the team is selling. Maybe the Rangers and Royals are not willing to sell their star set up pitchers.

Piazza is just as much of an injury risk as Ortiz... I was saying if they go after Piazza, then the injury to Ortiz must be worse than they are making out.

Everyone could use a pitcher, but I hope they don't mortgage their future for one, like they'd probably have to do for either Oswalt or Willis... although maybe they could get each for cheap, because they are not doing so hot right now.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:21 am

quitesanemax wrote:Just wondering what people think of Kendall's value with the Cubs. He was doing absolutely horrible with the A's. Does he get the full time job in Chicago? Does he turn things around in Wrigley? He is on waivers in my league, and I have to have two catchers. Right now I have Barrett and Zaun.

Yeah, Kendall wasn't hitting the best with the A's...but the guys that the Cubs have been starting since they traded Barrett have been ATROCIOUS offensively, but defensively they have been a HUGE upgrade over Barrett and I'll take a defensive backstop over an offensive one anyday of the week...the other day I watched the Padres game and watched a pitch by Maddux go right through the five-hole of Barrett and I wondered what Maddux was thinking at that point because the pitch wasn't even in the dirt...Barrett just didn't turn is glove over...he tried to snag at it and completely missed it and the runner(s) advanced.

Kendall has never been known for his power, and sometimes the Cubs need to play small-ball when the wind is blowing in at Wrigley, so I think he'll be the full-time catcher for the Cubbies and been a fine addition (NOTE: I've been a lifetime Cubs fan, I live one mile south of Wrigley, and have been drinking the Cubbie Kool-Aid)... ;-D
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Rounders » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:30 am

BALCO All-Stars wrote:
quitesanemax wrote:Just wondering what people think of Kendall's value with the Cubs. He was doing absolutely horrible with the A's. Does he get the full time job in Chicago? Does he turn things around in Wrigley? He is on waivers in my league, and I have to have two catchers. Right now I have Barrett and Zaun.

Yeah, Kendall wasn't hitting the best with the A's...but the guys that the Cubs have been starting since they traded Barrett have been ATROCIOUS offensively, but defensively they have been a HUGE upgrade over Barrett and I'll take a defensive backstop over an offensive one anyday of the week...the other day I watched the Padres game and watched a pitch by Maddux go right through the five-hole of Barrett and I wondered what Maddux was thinking at that point because the pitch wasn't even in the dirt...Barrett just didn't turn is glove over...he tried to snag at it and completely missed it and the runner(s) advanced.

Kendall has never been known for his power, and sometimes the Cubs need to play small-ball when the wind is blowing in at Wrigley, so I think he'll be the full-time catcher for the Cubbies and been a fine addition (NOTE: I've been a lifetime Cubs fan, I live one mile south of Wrigley, and have been drinking the Cubbie Kool-Aid)... ;-D

Yeah, I'm not too worried about how he does offensively, it'll just be nice to see some good defense behind the plate. With Kendall as the full-time catcher, and Blanco as the backup (starting minor league assignment soon), the Cubs will have two good defensive catchers to call on. I like the long term value of Soto, but since the Cubs are trying to make a playoff push this year, I like the move for Kendall. I don't know if his fantasy value increases a whole lot (other than he'll have Soriano hitting 2 spots behind him), but I like what he should bring to the Cubs.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Another Blown Save » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:06 pm

Maybe Scott Olsen for Elijah Dukes ;-)

Interesting story coming out from Chicago

D'backs' Jackson on display for Sox?

By Phil Rogers, 12:39 p.m.

An interesting thing happened on Monday night in Milwaukee: The Arizona Diamondbacks played their first baseman, Conor Jackson, in left field, only the second time in his big-league career he has played there.

According to MLB sources, the Diamondbacks were showcasing him for a possible trade to the White Sox, who like his bat but have a logjam in the 1B/DH roles with Paul Konerko and Jim Thome. Arizona is looking for starting pitching and scouted Jose Contreras' last start, although the Diamondbacks are believed to be interested in younger starters, including Jon Garland and the seemingly untouchable John Danks.

If the White Sox keep their four signed starters, it is possible they could deal from their stockpile of young arms, with Danks, Gavin Floyd, knuckleballer Charlie Haeger, former first-round pick Lance Broadway and crafty lefty Heath Phillips among the names in play. They also have Gio Gonzalez, Jack Egbert and Adam Russell pushing for promotions at Double-A, so you wonder if it is out of the question for them to move Danks for young hitters.

Jackson isn't having the big season that was forecast for him, batting .262 with five homers and 27 RBIs in 77 games. But he is a skilled hitter, drawing more walks (37) than strikeouts (26). The Diamondbacks are also reportedly shopping right fielder Carlos Quentin, who recently hit his way back to Triple-A.

With Justin Upton rising fast, perhaps the Diamondbacks would consider moving center fielder Chris Young, whom they got from the White Sox in the Javy Vazquez trade. Young is hitting .238 with 14 homers and 11 stolen bases in his rookie season with the Diamondbacks. These talks bear watching.

Full Story
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/latosma01.shtml. Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -361)

Postby FalcoAtL » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:25 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:Maybe Scott Olsen for Elijah Dukes ;-)

Interesting story coming out from Chicago

D'backs' Jackson on display for Sox?

By Phil Rogers, 12:39 p.m.

An interesting thing happened on Monday night in Milwaukee: The Arizona Diamondbacks played their first baseman, Conor Jackson, in left field, only the second time in his big-league career he has played there.

According to MLB sources, the Diamondbacks were showcasing him for a possible trade to the White Sox, who like his bat but have a logjam in the 1B/DH roles with Paul Konerko and Jim Thome. Arizona is looking for starting pitching and scouted Jose Contreras' last start, although the Diamondbacks are believed to be interested in younger starters, including Jon Garland and the seemingly untouchable John Danks.

If the White Sox keep their four signed starters, it is possible they could deal from their stockpile of young arms, with Danks, Gavin Floyd, knuckleballer Charlie Haeger, former first-round pick Lance Broadway and crafty lefty Heath Phillips among the names in play. They also have Gio Gonzalez, Jack Egbert and Adam Russell pushing for promotions at Double-A, so you wonder if it is out of the question for them to move Danks for young hitters.

Jackson isn't having the big season that was forecast for him, batting .262 with five homers and 27 RBIs in 77 games. But he is a skilled hitter, drawing more walks (37) than strikeouts (26). The Diamondbacks are also reportedly shopping right fielder Carlos Quentin, who recently hit his way back to Triple-A.

With Justin Upton rising fast, perhaps the Diamondbacks would consider moving center fielder Chris Young, whom they got from the White Sox in the Javy Vazquez trade. Young is hitting .238 with 14 homers and 11 stolen bases in his rookie season with the Diamondbacks. These talks bear watching.

Full Story

Does anyone have more information about this?
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby blankman » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:33 pm

Bwanna wrote:Eleven Names to Remember for the Trading Deadline

The Boston Globe gives 10 names the Red Sox are interested in, plus there’s another player I’ve heard bandied about. The list from the Globe plus the 11th name:

1. Brad Lidge, reliever from the Houston Astros
2. Roy Oswalt, starter from the Houston Astros
3. Dontrelle Willis, starter from the Florida Marlins
4. Eric Gagne, reliever from the Texas Rangers
5. Ken Griffey, Jr., right-fielder from the Cincinnati Reds
6. Dave Roberts, center-fielder from the San Francisco Giants
7. Jarrod Saltalamacchia, catcher from the Atlanta Braves
8. Mark Teixeira, first-baseman from the Texas Rangers
9. Scott Linebrink, reliever from the San Diego Padres
10. Mike Piazza, DH from the Oakland Athletics
11. Octavio Dotel, reliever from the Kansas City Royals

Let’s review each name. I’ve included their 2007 statistics, their “Drooling Factor” (how much would the Sox covet this player right now, while still factoring in the cost of what it would get to acquire this player, but reducing that cost somewhere with a ranking of low, medium and high) and the likelihood they’ll be traded: zero chance, low, medium, high.

More...

Oswalt? Willis? Teix?

The Boston Globe is dreaming. Teix doesn't fit anywhere and Oswalt and Willis are pure dreams.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers