Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trade Rumors

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:05 pm

I hope Salty does get traded. He's on my farm team and is useless to me as a 1B.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -350)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CadensDad » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:28 pm

chipper wrote:
CadensDad wrote:
chipper wrote:I'd rather have Gorzy if I'm the Braves.

I am still not sure on either of the two or even Tex, but we need something. I'd rather get a young pitcher than a hitter since we always seem to find hitting

Yup. Return to the old with some dominant arms.

Anchor it with Mc Cann and some speedy young guys.

The Braves definitely have a choice trading chip that they should use to jumpstart their next little run at possibly winning some tittles. To have one big time good catcher is a crucial component in having a consistent and dominant team....Coming accross 2 bigtime catchers at the same time.....The Braves have to take advantage of that and move him only when it can create something big for their team.....Otherwise don't move him at all. How much more valuable would he be next year at the break, having another full year experience in his bat and possibly the skills to play multiple positions (all combined with being young and under control for a good number of years).

Salty is not a guy to just move for 1.5 years of an underachieving star[/b].

well said
“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:34 am

teddy ballgame wrote:I hope Salty does get traded. He's on my farm team and is useless to me as a 1B.

...and stops taking ABs away from McCann. :-[ :~(
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mak1277 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:45 am

I'd be pretty surprised if the Pirates end up getting Salty. Yes, it's true they have asked about him, but I really do not expect the Pirates to give up either Snell or Gorzy. And I wouldn't expect the Braves to take anything less than one of those two guys.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby chipper » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:22 pm

mak1277 wrote:I'd be pretty surprised if the Pirates end up getting Salty. Yes, it's true they have asked about him, but I really do not expect the Pirates to give up either Snell or Gorzy. And I wouldn't expect the Braves to take anything less than one of those two guys.

Yeah, the Pirates catcher situation is not that bad. Good young players there.
They could probably gain by looking to fill other needs.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:48 pm

Just reported on Baseball Tonight:

Jason Kendall to the Cubs for Sean Marshall...not sure if anyone else is involved.

The Cubs needed a C...their callups have been good defensively, but the pitchers have been outhitting them...
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Deuce » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:33 am

BALCO All-Stars wrote:Just reported on Baseball Tonight:

Jason Kendall to the Cubs for Sean Marshall...not sure if anyone else is involved.

The Cubs needed a C...their callups have been good defensively, but the pitchers have been outhitting them...

Kendall for Rob Bowen and minor leaguer Jerry Blevin
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bwanna » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:36 am

Eleven Names to Remember for the Trading Deadline

The Boston Globe gives 10 names the Red Sox are interested in, plus there’s another player I’ve heard bandied about. The list from the Globe plus the 11th name:

1. Brad Lidge, reliever from the Houston Astros
2. Roy Oswalt, starter from the Houston Astros
3. Dontrelle Willis, starter from the Florida Marlins
4. Eric Gagne, reliever from the Texas Rangers
5. Ken Griffey, Jr., right-fielder from the Cincinnati Reds
6. Dave Roberts, center-fielder from the San Francisco Giants
7. Jarrod Saltalamacchia, catcher from the Atlanta Braves
8. Mark Teixeira, first-baseman from the Texas Rangers
9. Scott Linebrink, reliever from the San Diego Padres
10. Mike Piazza, DH from the Oakland Athletics
11. Octavio Dotel, reliever from the Kansas City Royals

Let’s review each name. I’ve included their 2007 statistics, their “Drooling Factor” (how much would the Sox covet this player right now, while still factoring in the cost of what it would get to acquire this player, but reducing that cost somewhere with a ranking of low, medium and high) and the likelihood they’ll be traded: zero chance, low, medium, high.

More...
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:11 am

Why would they go after any of the closers. Paps is doing fine. Unless they are planning on moving him to the starters lineup. But I've heard that he enjoys the closers role much more, in which case, why mess with something that is working?

Mike Piazza... Why? If they got him, I guess that would mean that Ortiz is much worse off than we think....

I'd love to see them go after Salty. Tek isn't getting any younger, and they traded their big catching prospect to the Indians... not sure why. But I'm not sure if that might cost them too much, considering they are in the midst of a pennant race, and Salty wouldn't do them much good this year unless Tek gets hurt.

I'd love to see Dave Roberts come back, but he left Boston because he wanted a starting job, and I don't see how things have changed. They have a lot invested in JD Drew. K. Griffey Jr seems unrealistic as well.

Schilling seems to be doing well, so I'm not sure how much they need a star pitcher at this point.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers