Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trade Rumors

Postby CadensDad » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:19 pm

converge241 wrote:Teixiera to Braves for Salty + ?? picking up again

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that the Braves are being mentioned as a team that could make a trade for Mark Teixeira prior to the trading deadline.

Teixeira, who is in the final year of a contract, would likely cost the Braves top prospect Jarrod Saltalamacchia and at least one other player.

We've seen the Braves connected in Mark Teixeira rumors before; in late June Kat O'Brien included the Braves in a sizeable list of interested teams. Speculation for quite a while now has placed catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia in the discussion.

David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution says the Teixeira-to-Atlanta rumor was still making the rounds at the All-Star Game. He seems to be speculating when he says Jon Daniels would require Salty and another young player, but that sounds about right. Perhaps the Braves wouldn't be daunted by Teixeira's free agency after 2008. They could definitely let him walk and collect some valuable draft picks. That'd bypass a lot of the Boras factor, though they'll still have to arrive at a 2008 salary.

Braves' first basemen have amassed an ugly .211/.264/.374 line in 318 ABs, most of it coming from Scott Thorman and the since-departed Craig Wilson. But if they went with Saltalamacchia exclusively from here on out, would he be significantly worse than Teixeira?

The Braves are fourth in the NL in OBP and sixth in slugging, with Andruw Jones perhaps primed for a much better second half. The bigger need is in pitching, specifically the starting rotation. Atlanta's 4.60 rotation ERA is just 10th in the NL, and they have to be at least slightly worried about John Smoltz.

The problem is that Teixeira is definitely on the market, while an ace starter may not be. Javier Vazquez might be the best pitcher available.

HMMM? Do we need another bat more than a stud pitcher?!? I'd much rather take a ace to go with Huddy/Smoltz but wont be upset by getting Tex for 1 and 1/2 years
“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:45 pm

I heard on the radio here (Phoenix) yesterday a third hand rumor (Marty Brenneman to someone to the radio host). Anyway, the Brewers have apparently offered Cincy a deal for Griffey that includes Gallardo and at least another good prospect. Not sure how GAB would impact Gallardo's status, though I'd imagine he'd go right into the rotation.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -486)

Postby BravesGuy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:45 pm

Bwanna wrote:If Salty goes to the Rangers, does he end up being the primary first baseman, platooning at catcher?

I seriously doubt they would let Gerald Laird be the primary catcher if Salty was on the Rangers. I don't see the Braves making this trade. I would rather have Salty play first with his cheap contract than have Teix.

Interesting rumor though.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 29)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:35 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:I heard on the radio here (Phoenix) yesterday a third hand rumor (Marty Brenneman to someone to the radio host). Anyway, the Brewers have apparently offered Cincy a deal for Griffey that includes Gallardo and at least another good prospect. Not sure how GAB would impact Gallardo's status, though I'd imagine he'd go right into the rotation.

You sure you heard Gallardo?
I've heard this rumor but with the Brewers offering Tony Gwynn, Jr. and another one of their AAA pitchers (can't remember his name but he was having a pretty rediculous season down there).
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:41 pm

IllinoisBandit wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:I heard on the radio here (Phoenix) yesterday a third hand rumor (Marty Brenneman to someone to the radio host). Anyway, the Brewers have apparently offered Cincy a deal for Griffey that includes Gallardo and at least another good prospect. Not sure how GAB would impact Gallardo's status, though I'd imagine he'd go right into the rotation.

I've heard this rumor but with the Brewers offering Tony Gwynn, Jr. and another one of their AAA pitchers (can't remember his name but he was having a pretty rediculous season down there).

They definitely said Gallardo on the radio. Like I said, it's third hand and I haven't seen it in print, so take it with a grain of salt.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -486)

Postby jfg » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:08 pm

Gallardo/Bailey would be some 1-2 punch for years to come. Don't the Brewers have enough offense?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -127)

Postby brewcrew4you » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:18 pm

IllinoisBandit wrote:

That would be either Manny Parra (2.45 ERA in 106 INN with 106 Ks, just threw that perfect game) or Will Inman (AA, leading the minors in K's. I can't imagine this trade happening without including either Jenkins/Mench to the Reds. I would really hope the Brewers wouldn't give up Gallardo for an upgrade from Jenkins/Mench to Junior.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:52 pm

I think there's about a snowball's chance in hell Gallardo gets traded for Griffey. I could see some sort of package starting with Gwynn/Parra. I wouldn't be thrilled if we lost Parra, dominant young left-handed starters throwing 95 don't come around all that often. But, he is blocked for a rotation spot seeing as how neither Villanueva or Gallardo have even been able to crack the rotation yet, and he does have an extensive injury history for a 24 year old.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -3)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:44 am

Gallardo for Griffey is crazy. Why on earth would the brewers do that
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero