Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trade Rumors

Postby arod77 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:11 am

[FULL STORY[/quote]
Blair has reliable sources within the organization, so this is telling me, in all likelyhood, that JP Ricciardi isn't too happy with AJ Burnett right now. I'm not exactly sure how trading him in the next month will bring enough value back, though.[/quote]

Bring back enough value? How about saving about 40 million over the next 3 1/2 years. They can use that to get someone else. That's addition by subtraction (plus whatever they get for him).
arod77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:27 am

arod77 wrote:Bring back enough value? How about saving about 40 million over the next 3 1/2 years. They can use that to get someone else. That's addition by subtraction (plus whatever they get for him).

What I mean is that you might be better off trading Burnett when he's actually pitching well for a stretch (like what he was doing at the beginning of the season), instead of in the middle of one of his trips on the DL. It might bring back more value. But yes...you bring up a good point about addition by subtraction.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby garretatkinspride » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:03 am

converge241 wrote:Glaus back to Angels? interesting

its either gonna be glaus or atkins. i can see glaus coming back and i can definately see atkins coming back home to play for the angels
garretatkinspride Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:47 am

garretatkinspride wrote:
converge241 wrote:Glaus back to Angels? interesting

its either gonna be glaus or atkins. i can see glaus coming back and i can definately see atkins coming back home to play for the angels

And what exactly do you think would be a fair trade for either of those 2?

Because I can gurantee you their GMs aren't going to be just giving them away.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby quitesanemax » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:13 am

arod77 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
arod77 wrote:[FULL STORY

Blair has reliable sources within the organization, so this is telling me, in all likelyhood, that JP Ricciardi isn't too happy with AJ Burnett right now. I'm not exactly sure how trading him in the next month will bring enough value back, though.

Bring back enough value? How about saving about 40 million over the next 3 1/2 years. They can use that to get someone else. That's addition by subtraction (plus whatever they get for him).

Yeah, but if Burnett doesn't have a few good starts behind him before they trade him, then somehow I get the feeling that the Bluejays end up eating a lot of that contract. Do you think any other team would take him any other way?
Last edited by quitesanemax on Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby OnceinDC2\1 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:29 am

Let's keep in mind too. Stoneman seems to overvalue a lot of his prospects. Don't get me wrong, they are quite good and mortgaging the future for the present is unwise (Modus Operandi New York Yankees) but it's tough to get deals done when you basically decide that your prospects are untouchable. We'll see what happens. Don't they have several infield prospects who are big names? (Aybar, Wood, Morales?). You'd think they'd deal aybar somewhat readily given that they already have cabrera, but oh well.
OnceinDC2\1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Surfs up » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:23 pm

Isn't Aybar hurt? Think he is out for 6-8 weeks. He'll be a hard one to move.
Surfs up
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 711)

Postby Another Blown Save » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:39 pm

rotoworld wrote:While he hasn't been traded, Mark Buehrle was seen packing up some things from his locker prior to Friday's game.

Buehrle was asked whetther he was packing up to clean out his locker for the All-Star break or because he expected to be traded? "Kind of both," he replied. "I just had some extra stuff I needed to get out of here, and you never know what's going to happen. It's a good time to get some stuff out of here and have a little less stuff in here just in case something happens." With talks apparently again at a standstill, it's possible that Buehrle could be dealt during the break. The Red Sox, Mets, Dodgers and Braves are thought to be interested, and it'd probably be a mistake to count out the Yankees and Cardinals.
Source: Chicago Tribune

Interesting...
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/latosma01.shtml. Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -361)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:35 pm

The Braves made a run at Nationals first baseman Dmitri Young, and the talks advanced to the point where Nats assistant GM Mike Rizzo scouted the Braves’ Class AA club.

However, the discussions cooled due to the Nats’ high asking price, according to a major-league source.
The stalemate in the White Sox’s negotiations with left-hander Mark Buehrle is fueling industry speculation that Sox general manager Ken Williams will soon trade the pitcher. “I get that sense from talking to people and from the (White Sox’s) response to us, but it’s hard to tell — Kenny loves disinformation,” says an executive from an interested club.
The Red Sox made a strong offer in their initial attempt to get Buehrle, but the Dodgers and Mets are in more desperate positions due to multiple injuries in their starting rotations. The Mariners also are interested, but can’t part with highly regarded Class AAA center fielder Adam Jones due to their uncertainty over Ichiro Suzuki, a potential free agent.

Every club is reluctant to trade top prospects for a rental such as Buehrle.

FULL STORY
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:13 am

The Braves are interested in Dmitri Young, eh?

Maybe there will be a market for a player like Matt Stairs after all.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers