Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trade Rumors

Postby apz » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:47 pm

Man, Hughes has pitched 2 games in the majors and some already seem to be declaring him a frontline starter. Give me a break. When did Hughes becomes a superstar; in AA? I'm not saying he won't be a good player, but I'd take Tex for him in a heartbeat; he has a track record. Who knows what Hughes will do.
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:51 pm

apz wrote:Man, Hughes has pitched 2 games in the majors and some already seem to be declaring him a frontline starter. Give me a break. When did Hughes becomes a superstar; in AA? I'm not saying he won't be a good player, but I'd take Tex for him in a heartbeat; he has a track record. Who knows what Hughes will do.

You can't be serious.

Newsflash: he's been ranked the best pitching prospect in the entire game. This is not some nobody that but up one good year in the minors. He's a first round pick that has dominated absolutely in the minors. And again, he's rated the top pitcher in the minors, at the age of 20. If that's not enough to expect him to be a #1 or 2 starter in the big leagues, I don't know what is.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby SOUTHSIDE HITMEN » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:40 pm

Per Ken Rosenthal

BUEHRLE TO BREWERS?

The Brewers, leading the NL Central by 8 ½ games, are kicking around the idea of trading for White Sox left-hander Mark Buehrle — a move that, while a longshot, would make sense.

The addition of Buehrle would give the Brewers a potentially formidable postseason rotation — Buerhle, right-hander Ben Sheets, left-hander Chris Capuano and righty Jeff Suppan.

The move also would enable the Brewers to move righty Claudio Vargas or Dave Bush to the bullpen — Bush was a closer at Wake Forest.

Here are the obstacles:

Approximately 10 teams are on Buehrle, including the Mets, Braves, Mariners and Buehrle's expected long-term choice, the Cardinals.

Buehrle, a potential free agent earning $9.5 million, would increase the Brewers' payroll by approximately $3 million if they acquired him on July 31.

The price in young talent might be prohibitive for the Brewers, who would resist giving up third baseman Ryan Braun or right-hander Yovani Gallardo.
The Brewers, though, should be open to trading other prospects. They could recoup two high draft picks by offering Buehrle salary arbitration — an offer he surely would reject in order to sign a lucrative free-agent contract.

As for the payroll increase, the Brewers probably could absorb it — their average home attendance has jumped from 28,835 last season to 32,949 this season. Owner Mark Attanasio has said in the past that the team has payroll flexibility.

I don't see this happening but I wish.
SOUTHSIDE HITMEN
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby nsulham » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:19 pm

I can't see him with the Brewers. They have enough problems already deciding who goes to the pen once Cappy comes back. I still say it's Mets, Braves, Cards, in that order.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby RugbyD » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:00 pm

walking around Chicago today i heard whispers of Beuhrle to BoSox, but I haven't been able to corroborate this anywhere and it doesn't make sense to me either.
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -2)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:01 pm

“Something’s got to happen. I’m tired of watching this,” Williams said Sunday before the White Sox dropped their third straight to the Cubs, losing 3-0. “Change needs to happen and change is going to happen. When that happens, I don’t know.”

The White Sox could be on the verge of trading left-hander Mark Buehrle, who can become a free agent after this season, a Chicago Sun-Times story Sunday said. The Boston Red Sox are the most serious suitors right now, the report said.

Asked Sunday if Buehrle was going to be traded to Boston, Williams replied: “Not today.”

Is it a possibility?

“Not today,” Williams said.

FULL STORY
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby Fantasy Man 27 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:42 pm

blankman wrote:
apz wrote:Man, Hughes has pitched 2 games in the majors and some already seem to be declaring him a frontline starter. Give me a break. When did Hughes becomes a superstar; in AA? I'm not saying he won't be a good player, but I'd take Tex for him in a heartbeat; he has a track record. Who knows what Hughes will do.

You can't be serious.

Newsflash: he's been ranked the best pitching prospect in the entire game. This is not some nobody that but up one good year in the minors. He's a first round pick that has dominated absolutely in the minors. And again, he's rated the top pitcher in the minors, at the age of 20. If that's not enough to expect him to be a #1 or 2 starter in the big leagues, I don't know what is.

Here is a list of some of the top pitching prospects:
Edwin Jackson
Jose Contreras
Jesse Foppert
Greg Miller
Gavin Floyd
Mark Prior
Juan Cruz
Ryan Anderson
Bruce Chen
Kerry Wood
Matt White
Kris Benson
Matt White

Yeah, they all worked out...
Fantasy Man 27
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thedude » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:16 am

Fantasy Man 27 wrote:
blankman wrote:

You can't be serious.

Here is a list of some of the top pitching prospects:
Edwin Jackson
Jose Contreras
Jesse Foppert
Greg Miller
Gavin Floyd
Mark Prior
Juan Cruz
Ryan Anderson
Bruce Chen
Kerry Wood
Matt White
Kris Benson
Matt White

Yeah, they all worked out...

Hughes also has been very injury prone. Hurt in 3 of 4 pro seasons.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby jfg » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:39 am

How about the Yankee pride in the early 90's Brien Taylor? That worked out well.

That said, I think if the Yankees are going to trade Hughes they need to get a proven starter back, because offense can be bought. There will be another guy like Teixiera on the block in the offseason or next year. I'd hold out and see if a top tier starter makes his way to the block in the next year...cough...cough...Santana.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -127)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers