Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trade Rumors

Postby Rounders » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:27 pm

FalcoAtL wrote:Rotoworld says the Cubs and Rangers are discussing a trade involving Jacque Jones.

Are the Rangers going to deal Young before the deadline since he's a FA next year?

Not that it matters much to the Cubs, since they're not going to get him in a deal that involves Jacque Jones.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:30 pm

Rounders wrote:
FalcoAtL wrote:Rotoworld says the Cubs and Rangers are discussing a trade involving Jacque Jones.

Are the Rangers going to deal Young before the deadline since he's a FA next year?

Not that it matters much to the Cubs, since they're not going to get him in a deal that involves Jacque Jones.

Young was signed to a contract extension this past offseason, he's not going anywhere for a LONG time. Chances are the Cubs are basically giving Jones away for a prospect. If Texas gives anything of value for him, I may renounce my fanhood.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:38 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Rounders wrote:

Young was signed to a contract extension this past offseason, he's not going anywhere for a LONG time. Chances are the Cubs are basically giving Jones away for a prospect. If Texas gives anything of value for him, I may renounce my fanhood.

I second that as a Reds fan. If all a Griffey trade netted us was Jacque as out starting right fielder I think I'd hurl.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby citti34 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:38 pm

What could be more difficult than determining Jermaine Dye's free agent price tag is the number of teams willing to give up major league players and/or major league-ready prospects to acquire him as only a rental.

Arizona's offensive struggles were noticable in a sweep this week by the Yankees. Speedy Orlando Hudson, who could be a nice fit for the Sox when he becomes a free agent after the 2008 season, batted third. Dye could re-ignite his season in a hitter-friendly ballpark like Chase Field. Dye also lives in Scottsdale, AZ, in the off-season and got a better offer from the Diamondbacks while he was taking a physical examination to complete his contract with the Sox before the 2005 season.

But the Diamondbacks, despite a deep farm system drafted by Chicago-area native and Washington executive Mike Rizzo, might not be willing to part with a few prospects or even take on the balance of Dye's $7 million contract.

At any rate, look for teams from the National League West to increase their interest in Dye. There still a good chance Dye ends up in Texas in 2008.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribu ... _turn.html
citti34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Rounders » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:39 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Rounders wrote:

Okay, I was looking at RW, and they didn't have the new contract on there, but now that you mention it, I do remember him being signed to an extention.

I don't think the Cubs are looking for prospects for Jones (nor do I think Texas would give up prospects). Cubs are looking to win this year, and Texas is looking to the future, so I would imagine Cubs are trying to package Jones with prospect(s) to get someone that could help them compete this year. I just don't know who on the Rangers really fits unless Cubs are looking to get bullpen help in return.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ROC AllStars » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:11 pm

Rounders wrote:I just don't know who on the Rangers really fits unless Cubs are looking to get bullpen help in return.

It has to be bullpen help. I can't see the Rangers trading any bat of substantial value for Jones. I certainly hope its not simply prospects, I'd hate to see the Cubs throwing in the towel already, after such an active off-season...
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 10)

Postby rentz » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:45 pm

ROC AllStars wrote:
Rounders wrote:I just don't know who on the Rangers really fits unless Cubs are looking to get bullpen help in return.

It has to be bullpen help. I can't see the Rangers trading any bat of substantial value for Jones. I certainly hope its not simply prospects, I'd hate to see the Cubs throwing in the towel already, after such an active off-season...

I see no reason why the rangers would even THINK of trading for jones. They need to build for the future not trade for an average outfielder.
They already have young outfielders who need playing time this year so the team can judge if they can or can't cut it in the majors.

My best guess is the rangers approached the cubs about trading a bullpen arm to them, likely for a young guy like murton and some how that got turned into jones.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby quitesanemax » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Wasn't there rumor of Gagne being traded a few weeks ago? I don't remember the details of it... Maybe the Cubs are looking into replacing the Dumpster... I have Otsuka, so I sure would like to see something like that happen...
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby hot4tx » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:12 pm

What's Jones' contract like (length left and $)? I could see some kind of Gagne + Lofton deal for Jones + single-A pitcher.

Everyone knows how Lou hates Dumpster.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)

Postby Rounders » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:13 pm

quitesanemax wrote:Wasn't there rumor of Gagne being traded a few weeks ago? I don't remember the details of it... Maybe the Cubs are looking into replacing the Dumpster... I have Otsuka, so I sure would like to see something like that happen...

That was my first thought, but I don't know how much it'd take to get him. Are the Cubs on his list of 12 teams that he can't block a trade to? Even if they weren't though, he would probably waive the no trade clause if he was offered the closing job in Chicago.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers