Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trade Rumors

Postby Ursa » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:39 pm

RynMan wrote:It's a lot to pay for a half season rental, because I doubt very much that the Twins will be able to extend his contract. He will test the market.

I agree - the Twins' history is not in favor of this deal being done. Previous forays into the same type of deal haven't panned out too well and Terry Ryan is only too aware of the value of pitching in a league that is very short on real quality SPs.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:39 pm

Ursa wrote:
RynMan wrote:It's a lot to pay for a half season rental, because I doubt very much that the Twins will be able to extend his contract. He will test the market.

I agree - the Twins' history is not in favor of this deal being done. Previous forays into the same type of deal haven't panned out too well and Terry Ryan is only too aware of the value of pitching in a league that is very short on real quality SPs.

Actually in the Twins case bringing in a big bopper to chase a title has worked out quite well. In 87 they brought in Baylor and in 91 Chili Davis. But, in recent history they've been content with not getting that bat and never making the next step. The Twins have to get out of the mindset of building internally. That works great but you have to know when to make the next step and bring some talent in who can get you that championship instead of always being one step away with a great farm system who will also someday be one step away. What happens when Santana walks? How about Hunter? You have to make smart decisions but you also have to make decisions that can bring you a championship when the opportunity is there, and once Hunter and Santana are gone that window might close.

But, I agree with you on the fact that recent history shows that Ryan doesn't make this move. Hopefully they look back at 87 and especially 91 which is very reminiscent of the current team except for that Chili Davis type power at DH.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -127)

Postby ROC AllStars » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:57 pm

Anyone heard anything on the Gagne/Otsuka situation in TEX? I've heard a bunch of teams may be interested in one of them... Otsuka just became available and I'm wondering if I should stash him...
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 10)

Postby hookem2003 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:41 pm

Anyone heard anything on the Gagne/Otsuka situation in TEX? I've heard a bunch of teams may be interested in one of them... Otsuka just became available and I'm wondering if I should stash him...

If you have the roster room, I'd do it. Gagne will be the first to be traded, so otsuka will be the closer at least for a little while. They may not trade aki (which is a bad idea; you don't build around 35 y.o. closers), so he could be the closer for the rest of the season.
hookem2003
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby zig zag daddy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:11 am

Adam Dunn to San Diego for Clay Hennsley and Justin Hampson.

Its on the radio right now...not reported just the rumor...but they said the deal was done.
zig zag daddy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Rounders » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:34 am

zig zag daddy wrote:Adam Dunn to San Diego for Clay Hennsley and Justin Hampson.

Its on the radio right now...not reported just the rumor...but they said the deal was done.

Everyone's fantasy value would drop in this trade.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby The River » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:04 pm

I need some comformation on this because Dunn's ass is gone from my team if it's true! He won't DO ANYTHING in San Diego, all of those HRs go bye bye. I've got offers ready to send out...
The River
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby Rounders » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:20 pm

The River wrote:I need some comformation on this because Dunn's ass is gone from my team if it's true! He won't DO ANYTHING in San Diego, all of those HRs go bye bye. I've got offers ready to send out...

The chances are he's going somewhere. And since Cincy has the best HR/game and 2nd best R/game ratios (but that's 2nd to Boston who has a great offense), he's definitely going to a worse hitter's park than he's at now. If I had him, I'd move him (but only for what I would consider fair value, I wouldn't sell low).
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Another Blown Save » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:31 pm

Here is the latest article by Rosenthal about the Rangers

To sum up the article, it looks like the Yankees are interested in Gagne, and the Rangers are intersted in Hughes, and think that they can get Hughes by dealing Teix to the Yankees.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/latosma01.shtml. Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -361)

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:37 pm

If CZam really was to be traded, I hope that the Mets would be in the fray..I'd much rather have Zambrano than Buherle...
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers