Return to Baseball Leftovers

Boston's Bullpen Breakdown

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Boston's Bullpen Breakdown

Postby nsulham » Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:04 pm

Wow, lot's of B's there eh? ;-)

Anyways, I see a lot of talk about this and who's going to be the closer. Since I'm an avid Sox fan, but by no means do I claim to be the most knowledgable, I figured I'd try to shed a little light on the subject going by what I know about the situation and the players involved. Since I am a Sox fan and I tend to skew my coverage towards them, I can't help but to think Embree's going to establish himself as THE guy there and for a team that could win 100 games, that has pretty big sleeper ramifications if you ask me. But here's the Boston "commitee" and how I see the players in it:

Embree- SHOULD be the guy; has the attitude, has the stuff but might be the only lefty they use in the pen (lefty/lefty matchups) which could hurt his save opps. :-P

Chad Fox- If healthy they say he has a devastating curve. Insiders say he could be the guy but I want to see him healthy first.

Mike Timlin- Former closer but I see him as a much better setup guy.

Bobby Howry- See Timlin.

Ramiro Mendoza- Long relief/setup. To be used much the same way NY used him.

You could also include Ryan Rupe and Willie Banks in there but I don't know why I just wasted my time typing their names so forget you read this part. Now if you REALLY want to talk about a darkhorse, I could see a case where Wakefield doesn't perform well in the rotation, they tire of the commitee approach and instead of going out and trading for a closer, make Wake the man. I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts, espc. any fellow Sox fans. Hope this helps! ;-D
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Jury » Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:32 pm

Tim Wakefield would be as unpredictable a closer as ever. I don't knuckleballs were designed for the ninth inning.
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

yea

Postby rjforlife » Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:11 pm

forget about wakefield. embree is the guy. they may start at closer by commitee, but embree will pitch his way right into the job after a month.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 269)

Return to Baseball Leftovers