Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vladdy update

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Erboes » Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:04 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
djacks wrote:Why does everyone seem so anxious to see him go to the Mets?... :-P

The Mets suck, their stadium sucks, and its where free agents go to die...(Floyd, big Mo, Glavine, etc...)

Baltimore's the place to go son...by far the most exciting and intriguing spot for him ;-D (And us Tejada owners ;-) )

I'm not anxious but I think that it would be great for the Mets and the City.

Yes, I stay up at night worrying about which FA out there can make NYC happy. The insatiable monster must be fed, right? And the rest of the world should be tickled pink to oblige.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:11 pm

djacks wrote:The Mets suck, their stadium sucks, and its where free agents go to die...(Floyd, big Mo, Glavine, etc...)

amen

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:13 pm

Erboes wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
djacks wrote:Why does everyone seem so anxious to see him go to the Mets?... :-P

The Mets suck, their stadium sucks, and its where free agents go to die...(Floyd, big Mo, Glavine, etc...)

Baltimore's the place to go son...by far the most exciting and intriguing spot for him ;-D (And us Tejada owners ;-) )

I'm not anxious but I think that it would be great for the Mets and the City.

Yes, I stay up at night worrying about which FA out there can make NYC happy. The insatiable monster must be fed, right? And the rest of the world should be tickled pink to oblige.

I never said that the world centered around NYC. Kindly show me where I said that. I know that there are other places that would welcome him with open arms but I was asked a question and I responded. I think that Vlad and NYC is a great marriage for both sides.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby Erboes » Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:18 pm

Too much sarcasm there Lofunzo, sorry.

It just gets a bit tiring to hear all the New Yorkers talk about how they need all these FA's when the best free agent my team can sign is Belliard. I guess you can call that sour grapes.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:31 pm

Erboes wrote:Too much sarcasm there Lofunzo, sorry.

It just gets a bit tiring to hear all the New Yorkers talk about how they need all these FA's when the best free agent my team can sign is Belliard. I guess you can call that sour grapes.

LOL. I hear ya. The problem with baseball geographically is that it is locally based. When the Mets played the Yanks in the World Series, it was great for the NY area but I bet that most of the USA couldn't have cared less.

I just think that it would add life to a dead NY Mets team and really liven up the fans. The Orioles already got 2 good FA's so their fans should be happy anyway. I also think that it would be great culturally as well.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Erboes » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:01 pm

That is all true, Lofunzo.

Since Guerrero isn't signing with Cleveland, alls I care about are his numbers since I own him. So, if you believe this ball park index there really isn't much difference between Shea and Camden Yards. In fact, last season Shea was pretty much an average hitting park since it took a perplexing big leap in this BPI. Did they lower the fences to 6 inches or something, Lofunzo? With hitters like Guerrero I don't think it matters much because he can hit anywhere. I think it matters more for players with marginal talent who tend to have "warning track" power.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:07 pm

The difference in BPI probably had more to do with the Mets pitching than the hitting. :-D
Lofunzo

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:31 pm

stumpak wrote:Hi everyone, first post.
Anyway, I may be biased as a Dodgers fan, but I don't see a move to LA being that disastrous for Vlad. First, while Dodger Stadium is a pitcher's park, it mostly impacts average and not hrs.

It impacts everything, but mainly run scoring. The heavy night air from the ocean reduces flyballs. From 00-02

1,781 runs were scored in LA, versus 2,174 away from LA. You are talking 393 runs, or about 131 less runs a year at home versus away. Thats a 82 index, meaning Dodger Stadium scores 18% fewer runs then the average park. Thats alot of runs and rbis lost. The hr index isnt as bad, but it's still a negative at 94, meaning hrs are down 6% versus the average park.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 363)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:38 pm

Erboes wrote: So, if you believe this ball park index there really isn't much difference between Shea and Camden Yards.

RHB have a 86 hr index to LHB 109 hr index using a 3 year index. Vlad will suffer the same negative effects Piazza and every other RHB face there.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 363)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Erboes » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:40 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
Erboes wrote: So, if you believe this ball park index there really isn't much difference between Shea and Camden Yards.

RHB have a 86 hr index to LHB 109 hr index using a 3 year index. Vlad will suffer the same negative effects Piazza and every other RHB face there.

There's no sneaking anything past you now is there, Hootie?
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers