Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lets examine Griffey.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Lets examine Griffey.

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:43 pm

Tribe-Fan wrote:How many 34 year old ballplayers can put up numbers like a 25 year old? Many and then many more.


In Griffey's case, however, the real question is how many 34 year olds who missed 50 games at age 31, 90 games at age 32, and 100 games at age 33 because of injuries can put up numbers like a 25 year old.

I'll wait while you dig through those stats to find out how often in the history of baseball a player has done that.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5469
(Past Year: -47)
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Re: Lets examine Griffey.

Postby Tribe-Fan » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:05 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Tribe-Fan wrote:How many 34 year old ballplayers can put up numbers like a 25 year old? Many and then many more.


In Griffey's case, however, the real question is how many 34 year olds who missed 50 games at age 31, 90 games at age 32, and 100 games at age 33 because of injuries can put up numbers like a 25 year old.

I'll wait while you dig through those stats to find out how often in the history of baseball a player has done that.


But that is not what you said. You said a 34 year old ballplayer was like a 70 year old human being. That is the fact that I am disputing. Don't try to change the discussion now just becaause you realized what you said was absurd.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 376
Joined: 1 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Born in Cleveland, so they are my team. Mine.

Re: Lets examine Griffey.

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:16 pm

Tribe-Fan wrote:But that is not what you said. You said a 34 year old ballplayer was like a 70 year old human being. That is the fact that I am disputing. Don't try to change the discussion now just becaause you realized what you said was absurd.


I suggest you pick up a dictionary and look under the letter H for the word "hyperbole". While you are at it, you might look up "humor" and see if you can find a sense of one.

My point was not to change the discussion, but to bring it back on the actual point of the thread, which is "Let's examine Griffey."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5469
(Past Year: -47)
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Re: Lets examine Griffey.

Postby Tribe-Fan » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:26 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Tribe-Fan wrote:But that is not what you said. You said a 34 year old ballplayer was like a 70 year old human being. That is the fact that I am disputing. Don't try to change the discussion now just becaause you realized what you said was absurd.


I suggest you pick up a dictionary and look under the letter H for the word "hyperbole". While you are at it, you might look up "humor" and see if you can find a sense of one.

My point was not to change the discussion, but to bring it back on the actual point of the thread, which is "Let's examine Griffey."


I know the actual point of the thread, I started it. And I don't think it is necessary to stoop to insults either. You said "Thirty-four is OLD in baseball years. Never say of a baseball player "He's ONLY 34."" I disagree with that statement. If that statement was a joke, how was I supposed to know that? I have a sense of humor. Comparing ballplayers years to dog years is just not funny.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 376
Joined: 1 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Born in Cleveland, so they are my team. Mine.

Postby baseballboy » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:37 pm

Examining Griffey:

1) If he were to play a full season he'd be a monster.

2) He has ZERO chance of playing a full season.

3) Someone in your league will think he is worth the risk and pay between $15-$25 for him.

4) Getting him late or for a buck or two will be imposible.

Result: Take him off of your cheat sheet and sleep well ;-D
baseballboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 724
(Past Year: -2)
Joined: 20 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: behind home plate

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:46 am

Ok, i guess this counts as hijacking a thread? Sorry if it is. Just want to pine in on age. Age is a number, but it can mean diffrent things to different people. Some guys hit their early 30's, and they lose it fast, like Baerga, Hojo, and Alomar. Some guys have great genes like Ryan. Some guys have great work regimes like Bonds and Clemens. Age is effected by these, so it's really a individual call. Guys can succeed at 34, although i'm pretty positive more guys are in a decline mode, then a increase mode.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15310
(Past Year: 363)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Erboes » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:15 am

HOOTIE wrote:Ok, i guess this counts as hijacking a thread? Sorry if it is. Just want to pine in on age. Age is a number, but it can mean diffrent things to different people. Some guys hit their early 30's, and they lose it fast, like Baerga, Hojo, and Alomar. Some guys have great genes like Ryan. Some guys have great work regimes like Bonds and Clemens. Age is effected by these, so it's really a individual call. Guys can succeed at 34, although i'm pretty positive more guys are in a decline mode, then a increase mode.


Damn hijackers.

Still, well said, Hootie.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1432
(Past Year: -1)
Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tribe-Fan » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:52 am

Erboes wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:Ok, i guess this counts as hijacking a thread? Sorry if it is. Just want to pine in on age. Age is a number, but it can mean diffrent things to different people. Some guys hit their early 30's, and they lose it fast, like Baerga, Hojo, and Alomar. Some guys have great genes like Ryan. Some guys have great work regimes like Bonds and Clemens. Age is effected by these, so it's really a individual call. Guys can succeed at 34, although i'm pretty positive more guys are in a decline mode, then a increase mode.


Damn hijackers.

Still, well said, Hootie.


This is why I disputed the "34 is old" comment in the first place. I don't think you can toss out a blanket generalization like that. 34 is ancient for some guys, and is the beginning for some good years for others. We won't really know what 34 for Griffey will be until he plays.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 376
Joined: 1 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Born in Cleveland, so they are my team. Mine.

Postby StLrEdBiRdS2004 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:51 am

Griffey is not too old to produce good numbers. His problem is that he is oft injured. If he were to play a full year, he would put up great numbers. I also believe that he needs, needs, needs, to get out of Cinci!!!!!!!! Griffey was so good in Seattle and he prob wont ever return to that form, but I believe that he has a chance to get pretty close to it.
Image

http://excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=1400
StLrEdBiRdS2004
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 367
(Past Year: -6)
Joined: 5 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Griffey, are we kidding?

Postby lesgrant » Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:22 pm

I would only pick this guy up from the free agent pile when I see he's healthy. Someone mentioned 'roids earlier. That would explain the quick drop off, similar to Big Mac.

Stay away. I have been burned three times wasting a pick on him.
Image
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 703
(Past Year: -2)
Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron