Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lets examine Griffey.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lets examine Griffey.

Postby Tribe-Fan » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:30 am

Ok, we all know Griff is the mother of all injury risks. But why is that? Is it just bad luck? Is he in bad shape? Did he ravage his body with steroids through the 90's only to have it fail him now? Can anyone remember another player of his stature to have this kind of a string of injuries?

I am considering looking at it this way. In 1997, 98, 99 and 2000 he played in 157, 161, 160, and 145 games. Some would call that a rock. Then in 2001 he begins a streak of woe that can best be described as biblical, raining frogs and hordes of locust type biblical woe.

Now, from an averages standpoint, doesn't it figure his luck will have to level out eventually? The man is only 34, and he has shown flashes of his previous skill in the few games that he has played the last couple of years.

The guy WAS a phenomenal talent. He IS only 34. He DOES hit in one of the best home parks in baseball. Now, IF he can remain healthy for a whole season, a 150 game / 600 AB season, COULDN'T he put up some monster numbers? 50 HR type numbers? The law of averages has got to be on this guy's side, no?

I don't know about you guys, but the more I think about it, the more I am considering taking this longshot bet and drafting Griff in the middle rounds. Of course, I like to gamble. I once placed a bet on 3 pitched balls. I didn't make out, but I ruined the guy on another deal the next week.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:36 am

Luck...do the names Matt Williams, Larry Walker, JD Drew, Geoff Jenkins, Jim Edmonds (until the past few seasons), Darrin Erstad, Jeff D'amico, Barry Larkin, etc. sound familiar.

I have no idea whether steroids have or have not played a part in Griffey's demise. All I see now is a guy who essentially can't stay healthy and is always getting some part of his body hurt. Is it possible this changes this year...absolutely. I want NO part of this action. WAY too risky a pick in all but the garbage rounds, IMO.
Last edited by TheYanks04 on Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:37 am

Maybe the injuries were a freak thing at one time, but once your knees go, they're gone. Maybe I'll pay a buck for him. Maybe.
Absolutely Adequate
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -170)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:17 am

after the injuries he has had since he left Seattle...I will not draft him until he goes back..... :-b
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -3266)

Postby prodpaul » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:49 am

Sure I would draft him..........In the 25th Round....Been burned now 3 years in a row :~(
Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -178)

Postby trevisc » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:50 am

eftda wrote:Yup, i draft him in the late rounds. I dont want to share too much info on my drafting. If u want u can pm me for info

LOL!

you sound like me!

I've had Griffey on my team for the last 3 years at some point in the season and he always gets dumped to the WW.

I don't see why I won't make it season #4
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby wrveres » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:21 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Luck...do the names Matt Williams, Larry Walker, JD Drew, Geoff Jenkins, Jim Edmonds (until the past few seasons), Darrin Erstad, Jeff D'amico, Barry Larkin, etc. sound familiar.

I have no idea whether steroids have or have not played a part in Griffey's demise. All I see now is a guy who essentially can't stay healthy and is always getting some part of his body hurt. Is it possible this changes this year...absolutely. I want NO part of this action. WAY too risky a pick in all but the garbage rounds, IMO.

I notice we agree on a great many things .... Are you sure you are a Yankees fan? ...

Well Put.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Re: Lets examine Griffey.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:21 am

Tribe-Fan wrote:Ok, we all know Griff is the mother of all injury risks. But why is that? Is it just bad luck? Is he in bad shape? Did he ravage his body with steroids through the 90's only to have it fail him now? Can anyone remember another player of his stature to have this kind of a string of injuries?

I am considering looking at it this way. In 1997, 98, 99 and 2000 he played in 157, 161, 160, and 145 games. Some would call that a rock. Then in 2001 he begins a streak of woe that can best be described as biblical, raining frogs and hordes of locust type biblical woe.

Now, from an averages standpoint, doesn't it figure his luck will have to level out eventually? The man is only 34, and he has shown flashes of his previous skill in the few games that he has played the last couple of years.

The guy WAS a phenomenal talent. He IS only 34. He DOES hit in one of the best home parks in baseball. Now, IF he can remain healthy for a whole season, a 150 game / 600 AB season, COULDN'T he put up some monster numbers? 50 HR type numbers? The law of averages has got to be on this guy's side, no?

I don't know about you guys, but the more I think about it, the more I am considering taking this longshot bet and drafting Griff in the middle rounds. Of course, I like to gamble. I once placed a bet on 3 pitched balls. I didn't make out, but I ruined the guy on another deal the next week.
The thing is it is not like he injures himself, gets better and the odds go back start. Previous injuries ( Seperated shoulder, bad knee, bad hamstring) increase the odds of future injuries. I'd take a flier on him the last round or two but no higher than that.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1018)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers