Return to Baseball Leftovers

Keeper League vets - 3-year contracts = 3-year cycle?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper League vets - 3-year contracts = 3-year cycle?

Postby Sticky Spice » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:32 pm

Imagine if you will a keeper league with 3-year contracts that starts up from scratch. Of course in their very first draft there are no players brought in, everyone is auctioned off. Since nobody is bringing in any undervalued keepers, and the market is flooded with every baseball player out there, prices are generally down and there are many undervalues to be had.

Come the following year when it's time to protect your keepers for the auction draft, there are plenty of good deals already existing on teams and most teams can just about fill their keeper lists with the players they bought (or acquired) last year. With all these undervalued players being brought in, prices at the auction are generally up, with players being bought at more realistic salaries.

Come the following year, the pattern is repeated as teams still have plenty of nice keepers from that original draft.

Okay, now we're in the 4th year and because all those bargains are through with their contracts, salaries will get a lot more realistic....right? WRONG. Why? Because the market is again flooded with talent with this influx of players who were auctioned back in the very first year.

The league that I'm in is like this league I'm talking about. Their original draft was held in 1991. I joined the league in 1993. I started noticing a pattern in our drafts in 2000. It seems like every third year is a bumper crop and with the market so flooded, prices are genearlly down. Then for the following two seasons many of these players are protected as they are undervalued. We had plentiful draft in 2003 and that would follow the pattern.

That may not seem so horrible except that this pattern makes for far less exciting or meaningful drafts in the "off-years" as I call them.

What do you guys think about this? I've brought it up to my league with some decent proof dating back to 2001 and people think I'm crazy.

Here was my main argument. Keep in mind we are a 20-team league and 4th place and lower from the previous year can protect up to 15 players. Also remember that I said 2003 was one of those bumper crop years:

Total number of players frozen (unavailable at auction) (21 teams in 2001)
2001 - 275
2002 - 230
2003 - 186

Number of players PER TEAM frozen
2001 - 13.75! (Keep in mind our roster size is 24!)
2002 - 11.5
2003 - 9.55

Dollars spent going into auction PER TEAM
2001 - $138! (Keep in mind our spending limit is $260!)
2002 - $130
2003 - $93

It just sickens me to see the average team having over half their roster full and half their money spent BEFORE the draft even starts!

If I'm right, is there anyone out there in a keeper league that started from scratch with X-year contracts that have noticed a X-year cycle? What would be some ideas that could stop the cycle whether for a league that's just starting up, or a league that is fully entrenched, like mine.

I've brought up shortening our protection lists and nobody is interested.
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kentx12 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:35 pm

This looks like something for Hootie to sort out. Im lost.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -47)

Postby Madison » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:13 pm

Any league that runs in cycles is like that. Not a lot of people notice it though. Good observations. ;-D

If you eliminate the cycles and have a salary increase in place for all kept players, then pretty much every year there are studs availiable in the draft.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby Sticky Spice » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:42 pm

Thanks Madison.

I see what you're saying. Any keeper league with contracts that don't increase would probably follow this pattern.

One idea brought up is that any player over $30 would only be on a one-year contract.

Placing more emphasis on the "off-years" drafts is important to me, but even more important is making those drafts just plain more fun. Last year we had a bunch of players in the auction and it was the most fun auction our league has maybe ever had. I also feel like an auction with more emphasis gives me an advantage as I feel like I am generally well-prepared for my drafts.
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -4)

Postby MikeeDee » Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:54 pm

Add $5 or $10 for every year you keep a player.
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -9)

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:50 pm

Ramble should have some ideas here. I believe that he is in a crazy league like that.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby Bukoski77 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:41 pm

I'm in a head to head league no salary thankfully as that is above my head and research time. 3 year keeper eligibility just like yours, after 3 years we have to either trade them or release them into the draft pool. We are going into our 4th season as well, or first keeper cycle. One trend I am noticeing is that the top 10SP, top 5 SS and 2B, and a few top closers are being swapped between the teams that have them. A trend of which I'm guilty of. http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=27739

So far as we can only keep 4 hitters and 4 pitchers it hasnt thrown the balance of team talent off too much, but a few more top SS for another teams top SS trades might start ruffling other owners feathers.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby ramble2 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:43 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Ramble should have some ideas here. I believe that he is in a crazy league like that.

Even crazier!

Our league is still pretty young, but I don't anticipate the kinds of cycles you're describing here. That's because managers can choose any length contract when they sign their players. I suspect we'll have good and bad years for free agents, but it won't be as regular as your league.

Here's a link to my league's rule page.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)

Return to Baseball Leftovers