Return to Baseball Leftovers

Differences in H2H/Roto Draft Strategies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:18 am

Do yourself a favor. If you are contemplating playing H2H and not just Roto leagues, go to the tool chest, pull out a hammer, hit yourself in the head until it really really hurts, stop before you really do harm to yourself, put the hammer away and go back to your PC knowing you have had your annual share of masochism and can now let all thought of playing H2H pass.

Seriously, Roto is far superior and rewards a long term and balanced strategy. H2H is statistical manipulation and nonsense where hitters are more valuable than starters, closers more than starters, and teams can stream 100's of pitchers based on matchup into their roster over the course of a season. It obviously depends on the rules you play in H2H, but the format in a daily transactional environment is just ripe for game playing that serves nothing else but to see who has the most time to waste. I have seen leagues where if waivers run at 3 AM, the entire league is up til 3:05 AM to to see who can grab the starters matching up against Detroit and LA. Total stupidity.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Differences in H2H/Roto Draft Strategies

Postby DieHardCubbie » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:48 am

Pedantic wrote:
DieHardCubbie wrote:
trevisc wrote:In roto i've found that if you pile up on the elite pitchers/closer early along with speed freaks then you will have a great chance of winning. .

Trev....I don't disagree with you often..but this is one time I do....in Roto you have to have a much more balaced team...not one that will score in a few catagories...In H2H you can get away with not scoring in a catagory...but in roto...if you don't score in all catagories you will be out....

Lol...I've found that H2H requires a balanced team as well. You can still be good and punt a category, but to be great, you have to rule it all. :-)

Not to advise this...but I have won 5x5 H2H leagues by punting three catagories for the year....H2H is much more about luck than Roto...You cannot punt a catagory in roto and win...thus requiring a much more balanced team.... ;-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -3266)

Postby wrveres » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:00 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Do yourself a favor. If you are contemplating playing H2H and not just Roto leagues, go to the tool chest, pull out a hammer, hit yourself in the head until it really really hurts, stop before you really do harm to yourself, put the hammer away and go back to your PC knowing you have had your annual share of masochism and can now let all thought of playing H2H pass.

I have seen leagues where if waivers run at 3 AM, the entire league is up til 3:05 AM to to see who can grab the starters matching up against Detroit and LA. Total stupidity.

LMAO ....

I play in one of these leagues ... 16 team NL Only ... :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:07 am

You guys must play some weird H2H games? I have played H2H since 87, and have never encountered those problems, streaming, dumping catergory, hitting or pitching tilted, etc. Depends what kind of H2H you play. I think both have pros and cons.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 363)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby wrveres » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:14 am

wrveres wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Do yourself a favor. If you are contemplating playing H2H and not just Roto leagues, go to the tool chest, pull out a hammer, hit yourself in the head until it really really hurts, stop before you really do harm to yourself, put the hammer away and go back to your PC knowing you have had your annual share of masochism and can now let all thought of playing H2H pass.

I have seen leagues where if waivers run at 3 AM, the entire league is up til 3:05 AM to to see who can grab the starters matching up against Detroit and LA. Total stupidity.

LMAO ....

lmao .... check the time of my last post .... exactly ... 3AM ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby trevisc » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:00 am

wow.. a lot of opinions here. I think we can agree on one thing:

There is no right or wrong way or we'd all be doing it.

Try to get a balanced team that best represents the scoring system your league has in place and you should do alright.

I NEVER...i repeat NEVER have played a whole season with the same players on my team so I will never admit to being the best drafter around. I win my leagues by trading and picking up sleepers off the WW.

Good luck and remember..the most important thing is to have fun!
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby DieHardCubbie » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:11 am

trevisc wrote:wow.. a lot of opinions here. I think we can agree on one thing:

There is no right or wrong way or we'd all be doing it.

Try to get a balanced team that best represents the scoring system your league has in place and you should do alright.

Good advice.... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -3266)

Postby ironman » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:16 pm

wrveres wrote:
wrveres wrote:

LMAO ....

lmao .... check the time of my last post .... exactly ... 3AM ;-D

Hey, but I don't think we have issues with people constantly adding/dropping players in that league wrveres. With 16 teams in NL-Only any player that might have an inkling of a chance to play gets snatched up.

I agree with Yanks04 in some regards. I hate leagues where some cybersports geek stays up all hours of the day and constantly adds and drops players. I've had that happen in the past and I was able to rectify it with two simple words: Transaction Limit. If you're only allowed 40 adds/drops all season it makes it highly unlikely anyone will be picking up Scott Schoenweis because he's got a spot start against Detroit.

The whole nabbing a lot of SP's first thing does somewhat work in H2H, if it is points based scoring. Back in the day when I did Sandbox [brief pause while I shudder in horror!] it was a popular strategy to nab Randy Johnson or Pedro Martinez along with a couple of other starters right off the bat. Usually whoever had RJ was near the top of the standings because the guy averaged about 30 points a start.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -177)

Postby Madison » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:28 pm

Lmao! :-D ;-D

H2H is a fun diversion, but roto is the best game. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby Big Blue » Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:47 pm

in roto you need all aspects in H2H you look at each player individually irregardless to rest of your team. as far as daily transactions we play weekly H2H and you only change your lineup once a week.
Big Blue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers