Return to Baseball Leftovers

How will the new Direct TV deal affect blackouts?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Sun May 13, 2007 9:14 am

cobbs87 wrote:Let me give you some context for my question. I am on a college campus and we have direct tv. We don't however get the YES network for Yankee games. Thus whenever a Yankee game is on ESPN it is blacked out.

However today, the first ESPN Yankee game of the year, the game is not blacked out.

Is this a freak occurence or does this have anything to do with the new direct tv deal. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I wasn't around when you posed the original question but the answer is quite simple. The ESPN game is a national broadcast so everyone with ESPN will get that game. The YES issue is also easily explained. The package that you have gets the regional sports networks. If you live in the NY area and a game is on that channel, you will get that game on channel 622. If you do not live in that area, the game will be blacked out unless you subscribe the the MLB EI package and, even then, the game might be blacked out on the YES Network. You might have to find it in the MLB EI channels (700's) to get the YES feed.

Amazinz wrote:As for the answer to your question, I am not sure. I get YES network but the Yankees games get blacked out. When the Yankees are on ESPN they do not get blacked out because I have the YES network.

I hope that I answered this above. Having the YES Network doesn't affect whether a game is shown on ESPN for you. I am also referring to the national Sunday night broadcasts. This doesn't pertain to regional broadcasts that ESPN has on nights like Wednesday.

commence8 wrote:
King Tim wrote:
commence8 wrote:
King Tim wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to change the zip on my directv account to avoid the blackouts? I'm blacked out from 6 teams including every Padres game. I used to live in Denver and was never blacked out since I lived directly in Rockies market. Is there a way to make Directv think I'm in Denver while still receiving broadcasting in Vegas?

and a big Mod edit: no need for that to MLB for these stupid blackouts

You should have never told them you moved...

So its just a simple as calling them up and telling them I moved back to my previous address?

...they'll probably offer to install it at the new place. Refuse, and make sure to unplug the phone line in case you have one plugged in.

There used to be a way to change the zipcode yourself but that is no longer. You can try calling them up and changing it but I doubt that would work. Not only would they not be sending your bill to the correct address, it probably won't work because of the way that the channels are spot-beamed. Unplugging the phoneline is only cool if you don't plan on buying PPV via the remote. If you unplug it, your remote PPV ordering will be disabled within a month.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby zevon » Sun May 13, 2007 10:15 am

King Tim wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to change the zip on my directv account to avoid the blackouts? I'm blacked out from 6 teams including every Padres game. I used to live in Denver and was never blacked out since I lived directly in Rockies market. Is there a way to make Directv think I'm in Denver while still receiving broadcasting in Vegas?

If you have an address you can use (family member/close friend) in Denver or anywhere else, you can change the addy on a credit card and DirecTV (or MLB). Then sign up to go paperless so no bills show up in Denver and pay the bills online.
What a suck job, Pads games blacked out in Vegas! Friggin 6 hour drive.
I've had EI for 9 years now and MLB for 5. What really ticks me off is having to watch Philly and the Cubs (For example) ONLY on Saturdays. I pay in the neighborhood of $350/yr to watch the games I want to see , and because of Fox's contract, I'm blown on Saturdays.
zevon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -7)

Postby Lofunzo » Sun May 13, 2007 10:35 am

zevon wrote:

If you have an address you can use (family member/close friend) in Denver or anywhere else, you can change the addy on a credit card and DirecTV (or MLB). Then sign up to go paperless so no bills show up in Denver and pay the bills online.
I've had EI for 9 years now and MLB for 5. What really ticks me off is having to watch Philly and the Cubs (For example) ONLY on Saturdays. I pay in the neighborhood of $350/yr to watch the games I want to see , and because of Fox's contract, I'm blown on Saturdays.

What do you have that costs you $350/year to watch the games??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby jswede » Sun May 13, 2007 10:51 am

what's the "new" DirecTV deal?
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Sun May 13, 2007 10:54 am

jswede wrote:what's the "new" DirecTV deal?

Exclusive rights to MLB Extra Innings.
Lofunzo

Postby King Tim » Sun May 13, 2007 11:53 am

zevon wrote:

I hear you on Saturday's....total crap.....even if fox isn't carrying a game before 7ET it won't show on EI.

We get no Pads games because of their deal with Cox and the fact they claim us as their market. The Giants and A's (who are what a good 12 hours away?) claim us.......along with the Dodgers, Angels, and Diamondbacks. If any of the last 5 teams aren't playing on national tv or thier fox sports channel, then I'm looking at a black screen.
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby commence8 » Sun May 13, 2007 11:58 am

Lofunzo wrote:

News Flash: Direct TV doesn't have exclusive rights to Extra Innings...

I have the same problem with the Cubs, I don't have WGN and if the Cubs are playing on WGN then I can't watch the game.
Will always help in return (leave a link to your question in response)
commence8
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Lofunzo » Sun May 13, 2007 12:09 pm

commence8 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

I have the same problem with the Cubs, I don't have WGN and if the Cubs are playing on WGN then I can't watch the game.

They don't?? I know that DirecTV had it and though that the cable companies hadn't agreed to join as well.
Lofunzo

Postby King Tim » Sun May 13, 2007 12:12 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
commence8 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

They don't?? I know that DirecTV had it and though that the cable companies hadn't agreed to join as well.

I believe the cable companies agreed to pay a ton of money and introduce a MLB channel in 2009 in order to carry EI now. All of this makes the current blackouts even more frustrating.
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby King Tim » Sun May 13, 2007 12:29 pm

I found this article and meetings are taking place this Wednesday

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=j ... &type=lgns
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext