Return to Baseball Leftovers

How will the new Direct TV deal affect blackouts?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How will the new Direct TV deal affect blackouts?

Postby cobbs87 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:32 pm

Let me give you some context for my question. I am on a college campus and we have direct tv. We don't however get the YES network for Yankee games. Thus whenever a Yankee game is on ESPN it is blacked out.

However today, the first ESPN Yankee game of the year, the game is not blacked out.

Is this a freak occurence or does this have anything to do with the new direct tv deal. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: -14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby t2green2 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:50 pm

I am praying for some love myself but fear that the owners and their greed will continue to black me out here in Charlotte from seeing:

Cinci
Nats
orioles

What a joke I am not remotely close to any of these teams and yet they black out the games.
t2green2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cobbs87 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:59 pm

haha yep. Here in buffalo they also black out Cleveland, Mets, and the Pirates.
Last edited by cobbs87 on Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: -14)

Postby Mustangs989 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:05 pm

I have 6 teams blacked out where I live which really makes buying MLB Xtra innings or MLB.TV pretty pointless.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -52)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:16 pm

I get the Nats blacked out (not that I care except when they play the Mets in Washington) and we can't even get Nats games where I live. Orioles games are not blacked out and all Orioles home games are televised.

As for the answer to your question, I am not sure. I get YES network but the Yankees games get blacked out. When the Yankees are on ESPN they do not get blacked out because I have the YES network.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby King Tim » Sat May 12, 2007 5:57 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the zip on my directv account to avoid the blackouts? I'm blacked out from 6 teams including every Padres game. I used to live in Denver and was never blacked out since I lived directly in Rockies market. Is there a way to make Directv think I'm in Denver while still receiving broadcasting in Vegas?

and a big Mod edit: no need for that to MLB for these stupid blackouts
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Sat May 12, 2007 7:42 pm

t2green2 wrote:I am praying for some love myself but fear that the owners and their greed will continue to black me out here in Charlotte from seeing:

Cinci
Nats
orioles

What a joke I am not remotely close to any of these teams and yet they black out the games.

Wow thats horrible.

As someone who lived in DC and went to school in the carolinas that is a joke.

Baltimore is a good what 7 hours away?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby commence8 » Sat May 12, 2007 11:48 pm

King Tim wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to change the zip on my directv account to avoid the blackouts? I'm blacked out from 6 teams including every Padres game. I used to live in Denver and was never blacked out since I lived directly in Rockies market. Is there a way to make Directv think I'm in Denver while still receiving broadcasting in Vegas?

You should have never told them you moved...
Will always help in return (leave a link to your question in response)
commence8
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -4)

Postby King Tim » Sun May 13, 2007 1:19 am

commence8 wrote:
King Tim wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to change the zip on my directv account to avoid the blackouts? I'm blacked out from 6 teams including every Padres game. I used to live in Denver and was never blacked out since I lived directly in Rockies market. Is there a way to make Directv think I'm in Denver while still receiving broadcasting in Vegas?

So its just a simple as calling them up and telling them I moved back to my previous address?
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby commence8 » Sun May 13, 2007 1:30 am

King Tim wrote:
commence8 wrote:

So its just a simple as calling them up and telling them I moved back to my previous address?

...they'll probably offer to install it at the new place. Refuse, and make sure to unplug the phone line in case you have one plugged in.
Will always help in return (leave a link to your question in response)
commence8
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -4)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers