Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Rate my H2HWS USA Team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate my H2HWS USA Team

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:04 pm

10-team H2H 6x6 redraft (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS; W, SV, HLD, K, ERA, WHIP)

Here's what I did with the 9th overall pick:

C - Russell Martin (19.02)
1B - David Ortiz (1.09)
2B - Jeff Kent (14.02)
3B - Miguel Cabrera (2.02)
SS - Hanley Ramirez (3.09)
CF - Rocco Baldelli (9.09)
OF - Gary Sheffield (6.02)
OF - Nick Swisher (13.09)
UTIL - Aramis Ramirez (4.02)
BN - Jim Thome (11.09)
BN - Adam Laroche (17.09)

SP - John Lackey (7.09)
SP - Scott Kazmir (8.02)
RP - Francisco Rodriguez (5.09)
RP - Jonathan Papelbon (10.02)
P - Jason Schmidt (12.02)
P - John Patterson (15.09)
BN - Jonathan Broxton (16.02)
BN - Scott Olsen (18.02)
BN - Barry Zito (20.02)

I actually think this is my weakest draft, despite the solid balance around, but despite the offensive logjams, I think I can afford to make runs at Pujols, Soriano, A-Rod, Reyes, Utley, and Santana if I chose to, but given that it's a 10-teamer, there should be squads teeming with depth anyway. I'm not too thrilled about this team, mainly because my OF is a tad risky for my liking and it wouldn't hurt to add one more speedster. Other than that, I like my pitching strength (even though I'm apt to drop Zito or Broxton for Teahen who went undrafted).

Anyone think my team is as suspect as I think it is? I just think it's a good draft, but surely this team could use some tweaking. Any comments, concerns, opinions, rants?
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Geek » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:27 pm

As a matter of personal opinion, I'm far from sold on Baldelli (I'll like him a lot better when he plays a full season) and Jason Schmidt (declining K-rate, little upside).

Those would be the two guys I'd look to move/replace.

Papelbon makes me nervous--he's the closer but for how long and will his health hold up.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:38 pm

Geek wrote:As a matter of personal opinion, I'm far from sold on Baldelli (I'll like him a lot better when he plays a full season) and Jason Schmidt (declining K-rate, little upside).

Those would be the two guys I'd look to move/replace.

Papelbon makes me nervous--he's the closer but for how long and will his health hold up.

I'm not a big Baldelli supporter myself, but was the best OF (let alone CF) left in the 9th.

I don't mind the Schmidt pick personally. He should be in line for 15 wins, pitches well at Dodger Stadium (let alone a solid division), and is as good a mid-tier workhorse as you can find despite the apparent decline in K rate.

I think Lidge and Jenks give me the creeps compared to Papelbon. In the 10th round, an upside of a top 5 closer to complement K-Rod isn't a bad choice and he might make good trade bait to package for upgrades.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Doughhead » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:22 pm

Looks pretty solid to me.

Here are my impressions...

1) Getting Ortiz and Cabrera at the turn of the first/second round is beautiful

2) Outstanding RPs

3) I love Jeff Kent (as a friend). I think people have given up on him prematurely. He could be a top 5 2b and getting him in the 14th may end up being a real bargain

4) I like the Ramirez brothers at 3 and 4--nice speed, power combo there

5) OF could be a weakness, especially if Sheff can't stay healthy

6) You're obviously lacking a true ace--although Lackey could become one this year; still, I like the upside of all your SPs (with the possible exception of Zito--but hey, in the 20th round he's a great deal too)

7) Nice bench

8) I like the idea of dropping Broxton for Teahen
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Geek » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:26 pm

I'd drop LaRoche for Teahen instead of Broxton--in a ten-team league odds are that very few people are going to need a 1b or Util badly enough to make LaRoche valuable.

May not be a bad idea to trade Zito for Scot Shields plus an upgrade somewhere else--he'll provide Holds and insurance for K-Rod.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby smoovethug » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:41 pm

I think it's fine. I especially like your pitching with the young studs in Lackey and Kazmir, solid veterans in Schmidt and Zito, Olsen's upside and Patterson if he can stay healthy. Your RP's are dominant but I think you can look to deal for another closer to add some more saves. Your power is pretty nice in Papi, MCab, ARam, Sheff, and Swisher, Thome and even LaRoche on the bench. You can look to add some more speed though, Hanley will get you 50+ and Rocco about 20 if healthy but I'd look to add another guy who can chip in. Pretty solid team, nice job if this is your worst. ;-D

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -271)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:51 pm

Geek wrote:I'd drop LaRoche for Teahen instead of Broxton--in a ten-team league odds are that very few people are going to need a 1b or Util badly enough to make LaRoche valuable.

May not be a bad idea to trade Zito for Scot Shields plus an upgrade somewhere else--he'll provide Holds and insurance for K-Rod.

True, Laroche would just take up space outside a few teams, which is why I'm hanging onto him, but of course I could really use the spare OF. I'm planning on making a 2-for-1 or a 3-for-2 trade to open an extra spot, but would probably have to make a drop for Teahen anyway. I'm not sweating out holds relievers since Gonzalez, Linebrink, and Otsuka are out there. Wickman, Borowski, and Benitez are slated to clear waivers from the draft as well.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:55 pm

smoovethug wrote:You can look to add some more speed though, Hanley will get you 50+ and Rocco about 20 if healthy but I'd look to add another guy who can chip in. Pretty solid team, nice job if this is your worst. ;-D

Martin could add 15-20 SB on the side. I'm hoping he turns out to be the cheap man's Joe Mauer.

At any rate, you're right. That's why I'm flirting with the possibility of making a trade for Soriano and maybe Crawford on the side, seeing how the Soriano owner has both, but with this being an OPS-league on top of it being H2H format, I wouldn't want to be too SB happy.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby dooz » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:05 pm

I agree with thinking on this.

I'm also in the H2HWS and the format definitely devalues SBs somewhat. I think you will be decent enough most of the teams in SBs. If you a little worried about it, Freel is probably available.

Like you said, good team. I like the pitching and Kazmir might be a top 5 pitcher by the end of the year.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:11 pm

dooz wrote:I agree with thinking on this.

I'm also in the H2HWS and the format definitely devalues SBs somewhat. I think you will be decent enough most of the teams in SBs. If you a little worried about it, Freel is probably available.

Like you said, good team. I like the pitching and Kazmir might be a top 5 pitcher by the end of the year.

Freel was actually taken as a last-round flier. I had Podsednik in the 20-team H2HWS California league and one-dimensional basestealers are known to drag your OPS and AVG down anyway. Not worth it.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team