Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Is My team as nasty as I think it is? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is My team as nasty as I think it is? WHIR

Postby yamar2001 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:51 am

So, I am in my second year of fantasy baseball... threw in some cash with some buddies, all of which are extremely privy with baseball. My team looks so awesome to me, what do you guys think??

C Pierzynski
1b Ortiz
2b Lugo
3B Chipper Jones
SS Renteria
OF Beltran
OF V. Wells
OF Matsui
Util Frank Thomas
Bench Crisp, OCab, Ray Durham, Marcus Giles

Pitching
SP Zambrano
SP Peavy
RP Wagner
RP Papelbon (took him in the 10th round prior to them announcing he is closing again)
P Dan Haren
P Ervin Santana (always loved this guy for some reason)
P Contreras
Bench Ted Lilly

My team looks fantastic to me. My outfield is second to none I have seen in my few years of playing fantasy. I took a gamble on Thomas in the 11th round, can';t believe nobody wanted to take him... guy hit 37 bombs last year and is playing with a super powerful offence in Toronto. What do you guys think I need help with?

Yahoo Head to head
Runs, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS
Wins, Losses, Saves, K, ERA, WHIP
my current thread:
https://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=496746
yamar2001
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby yamar2001 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:57 am

Also curious... no k/9 this year which I personally dont like. Doesnt having no K/9 make closers less valuable? really all they will get you is saves and low whip....any comments appreciated.
my current thread:
yamar2001
College Coach
College Coach

Postby johntudor » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:43 am

Your outfield's nice, and I like your SPs. I think you're gambling with your infield though -- outside of Ortiz, each of those guys is shaky IMO. I like Crisp on your bench... the other guys you can lose. Same for Lilly, he can go... Another good closer wouldn't hurt.

Good luck!
johntudor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -6)

Postby baseballstud » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:51 am

I agree with the guy above me. I really like your pitching staff, but eventually your infield could get a little shaky, even though I like renteria to play well again this year.
baseballstud
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 33)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:15 am

no love for Lugo?
he will be batting leadoff for Boston and shouldnt he be expected to score a ton of runs? i also like that he has 3B eligibility for when Chipper misses time wit his foot or whatever is bothering him.

others might know this better than me, but is it wise to have 2 backup 2B? one can go into 2B for Lugo should he go into the 3B spot, but im not sure the need for an addition 2B on the bench.
dont know what or who else to pick up, not sure what/who is available.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby yamar2001 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:44 am

Thanks for the replies folks, greatly appreciated. I can definitely see a bit of vulnerbility in my infield. My RBIs, HR, and runs scored should be pretty damn good with my outfield though. All are power hitters, on teams with great offences, and should put up just about every category with the exception of AVG. I too agree with the last guy, I am expecting a much bigger year out of Lugo than I guess most expect, Boston is going to have one potent offence if things work out as they appear like they will.

I liked the Lugo pick because he can play alot of positions too. A little wheeling and dealing may be in order to improve my infield a bit, however I am considering just waiting to see what happens with my offence for a few different reasons

a.) i took a gamble on thomas in the 11th round (cant believe he lasted that long) and who knows what could happen with him. he hits 37 bombs and a boat load of RBI's again, i should have the best offence in my league.

b.) i would like to see how far my outfield could carry me with off. categories. if matsui can hit like he used to, my outfield alone will comprise for close to 100 HR and 300 RBIs. Add Ortiz in the mix, and I would think you wont need to worry too much about any offensive category other than perhaps average. could be wrong tho? not even to mention the possibility of thomas fitting in nicely with one of the most potent offences in baseball....sorry if i sound like a lawyer here!=)

the dude who said i need another closer... i have papelbon and wagner... i dont anticipate needing another closer considering i have the

I was thinking if anything I might want to look into another really good starter, can anyone else comment?
my current thread:
yamar2001
College Coach
College Coach

Postby elltrain22 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:59 am

First off, gotta put how many teams are in your league, kinda hard to state an opinion w/o that, but here goes.

Great picks: Papi (nuff said), Beltran (oh yeah), Matusi (will get 300-28-100 easy), Lugo (290-300-13-60-95-30, very nice pick; esp at that post.), Zambrano & Peavy (always good to have 2 guys like that on your staff), Wagner & Paps (2 of the top 6 closers-nice!!), Haren (good middle rd SP)

? picks: Chipper (will he stay healthy-prob miss some time), Big Hurt(hard for me to believe he'll do what he did again), Wells (yr after big $$ so who knows)

Overall, I like your team alot, very solid. Good hitting, good SP, RP, and good balance.

please rate mine?

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=261636
elltrain22
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby schmidty » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:17 am

Agree ... we need to know how many teams are in the league to tell how good you are.

Anyway, starting with pitching. I really like your top 4 SPs. Not a Contreras fan ... Lilly could be a decent late round sleeper. Wagner and Paps are great for RPs. As to whether you need another closer - it's H2H. Do most teams have 2 or 3 closers? If most have 3, you're going to want another closer to be competitive in that cat. I like at least 3 RPs in my everyday lineup, because they're usually have very low ERA/WHIP with great K counts. 3 closers equals more than a top-notch SP for innings - they have more value than just the saves. That said, I won't have a sucky closer if he gets me saves with lousy ERA/WHIP.

Hitting is very good. Chipper's an injury risk, but with Lugo (who I like this year) and a 2B on the bench you're covered. You don't need 2 backup 2B. I think another pitcher is a better use of the roster spot. Ortiz is money - people kind of forgot about him a little this year, forgetting he's a money 40-120-0.290 (minimum) guy. I think Matsui will be fine, and deliver his standard 25-100-0.300. Beltran and Wells are both coming off great years - don't be too disappointed if they don't match last years numbers. Not surprised Thomas dropped - but he could do fine for you. He failed to play in half the season's games in 3 out of the last 6 years - that's the risk you take (aside from the aging wall). Crisp is a nice back-up - I think he bounces back and plays like we thought he would last year.

Overall, you look to be in good shape. My biggest suggestion would be to exchange hitting bench for pitching bench. Give you RP depth serious consideration, and see if there are any nice upside SPs left. You should have a good shot at getting some money back.

Look at mine please: http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=261546
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby johntudor » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:16 am

yamar2001 wrote:
the dude who said i need another closer... i have papelbon and wagner... i dont anticipate needing another closer considering i have the

Not sure if you finished your thought or not dood, but if I were you I'd look at getting another closer. I see you've got Papelbon/Wagner and that's great, but closer situations can change by the week, even with the top performers (remember Lidge, Gagne, Turnbow?). Just trying to help.
johntudor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pelotero » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:39 am

Where's your Speed?

I really like Lugo and where he's batting.. along with his versatility.

You might want to pick up another OF just in case Matsui goes on a slump..

Here's mine..

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=261709
"Born with a glove"
pelotero
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team