I just saw this mock draft on Yahoo. Good lord, that is the WORST draft I have ever seen in my five years of fantasy baseball. Like Madison, I don't have the time to point out all of the ridiculous picks, but here are some lowlights.
25. Mariano Rivera, P Please, we're arguing in the cafe if Gagne is worth a 2nd round pick!
50. Brandon Webb, P - The end of the 5th round??? There must have been better pitchers available
95. Shannon Stewart, OF Someone tell these guys, MVP candidate does NOT mean fantasy stud. Stewart does almost nothing well anymore from a fantasy perspective.
21. John Smoltz, P - Please, suckers. Gagne got taken with the 19th pick and these "experts" fell for an early run.
93. Derek Lowe, P - Not the worst pick, but Lowe should go much lower
20. Chipper Jones, OF - Find me an outfielder who doesn't hit .300-30-100 nowadays. There must be 10 of them. And Chipper isn't young.
30. Vernon Wells, OF How. How. How does a young stud drop this far?
7. Alfonso Soriano, 2B Yup, most 35-35 2B should be taken this late!
Not that it's late but if you don't take Soriano in your first 5 your draft has some fools and you better exploit them!
42. Billy Wagner, P Again, the fourth round for a closer? Seriously.
9. Carlos Beltran, OF Beltran at 9? See Soriano. Not the worst pick, but he is a 5 category stud and should be taken above guys like Pedro.
16. Todd Helton, 1B -.350-30-120runs-120RBI at the 16th pick. Wow!
112. Joe Mauer, C -Experts?!?!?! Drafting Mauer in the 10th round! COME ON GUYS! HE'S NOT GOING TO BE THAT GOOD NEXT YEAR.
14. Eric Chavez, 3B - Do I really need to explain this one? Who is going to protect him, Mr. Expert. Tell me that huh?
37. Orlando Cabrera, SS - I refuse! My only comment is Jeter was taken about 25 picks LATER!
108. Mike Young, 2B - There just had to be someone better here.
109. Jorge Julio, P - Julio, of the 1.50 WHIP!
I put Gagne in here for the sake of comparison to Rivera and Smoltz.
19. Eric Gagne, P
This draft is very good for one thing. Not everyone does a lot of research. My keeper league maintains a year round web board. I plan on posting this "mock" draft there and hopefully people believe that Helton is the 16th pick overall or that Rivera and Smoltz are 2nd round picks, just under Gagne!