Return to Baseball Leftovers

TLR DUI

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mak1277 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:19 pm

I guess I just come back to the punishment. If the crime is so terrible, why is the punishment basically non-existent?
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ScarletP » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:20 pm

RugbyD wrote:
ScarletP wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
ScarletP wrote:How can you say it's a tough break? He broke the law and got caught. If I get caught embezzling money or breaking into my neighbor's house, it's not a "tough break," it's called "getting caugh doing something illegal."

is the concept of 'intent' nonexistent in your world?

So you're implying that LaRussa didn't indend to drink? Or that he didn't intend to drive? I've never accidentally done either of those things.

you comps involve intent to do harm. Larussa's situation does not.

My point is not that LaRussa is a bad guy. My point is that he broke the law and got caught. It's not a "tough break." It's "breaking the law." Maybe I should have used speeding or statutory rape as a better example.
ScarletP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -58)

Postby josebach » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:21 pm

.093 is about 3 beers... if that. I'm sure he just fell asleep.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby wrveres » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:26 pm

Now we are comparing this to rape? 8-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby in10s » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:26 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:It's 0.8 because of what can be viewed as an organization posing as political action committee run by women with a positive agenda. The facts are MADD is run by a board of men who run it like a money grubbing business directed at destroying the alcohol industry.

BAC and impairment are relative to tolerance. Some people shouldn't be driving at 0.04, some can drive fine at .012. Studies have shown 0.10 is a good standard, but as with most things MADD (and Barbra Bush) have pushed the envelope.

this is not publicized nearly enough ;-D
prohibitionists suck :-t

Do any of you know someone who was injured/killed in an accident caused by a drunk driver? Would it matter to the victim if that driver was .15, .11, .10, .08, or .04? I'm not a prohibitionist. Drink all you like. Just don't drive when you do it.

Crissy is right that BAC and impairment are relative to tolerance. And I'm sure there are studies that have shown .10 is a good standard. But studies have also shown .08 to be a better standard, forces drinkers to be more careful and reduces accidents.

Is this fair to those who can be at .12 and not impaired? No. Is it safe for those who can be at .04 and really be impaired? No. But it does provide a line that is now pretty well accepted by society and law.

So, deal with it, and maybe those of you who can drink a lot and not be impaired will think twice about driving and just maybe save a life.
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby ScarletP » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:27 pm

wrveres wrote:Now we are comparing this to rape? 8-o

I said statutory rape. A 18-yr old having consentual sex with a 16-yr old is a victimless crime, but could be considered criminal.
ScarletP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -58)

Postby thedude » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:38 pm

josebach wrote:.093 is about 3 beers... if that. I'm sure he just fell asleep.

:-b :-b :-b

OMG. You are telling that a stone cold sober person stops at a red light and decides to take a nap, with the car running? :-b Wow...just...wow.

LaRussa was drunk, he passed out. he wasn't "just asleep." He was unresponsive when the Officers tapped on his window. He was drunk. It was just lucky for him that he was at a red light instead of cruising down I-95.

But I guess it wasn't his fault that he had five drinks (cause that is about what it takes to have a BAL of .09, at about an additional .02 per drink). It wasn't his fault for then getting behind the wheel of a car. Poor Tony.

Drunk driving is like playing Russian Roulette with your life and the lives of everyone else on the rode.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby wrveres » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:41 pm

thedude wrote:

OMG. You are telling that a stone cold sober person stops at a red light and decides to take a nap, with the car running? :-b Wow...just...wow.

LaRussa was drunk, he passed out. he wasn't "just asleep." He was unresponsive when the Officers tapped on his window. He was drunk. It was just lucky for him that he was at a red light instead of cruising down I-95.

But I guess it wasn't his fault that he had five drinks (cause that is about what it takes to have a BAL of .09, at about an additional .02 per drink). It wasn't his fault for then getting behind the wheel of a car. Poor Tony.

Drunk driving is like playing Russian Roulette with your life and the lives of everyone else on the rode.

I have fallen asleep while driving, sober .. :-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby mak1277 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:42 pm

wrveres wrote:
thedude wrote:

I have fallen asleep while driving, sober .. :-o

Me too, as have a number of people I know. My dad's done it at least a half dozen times in the last 2 or 3 years.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby pa_tater » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:48 pm

ThatDude wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Wooo .9 weak dude.

Anyways he's a dirty hippie :-D

0.90 would not be weak.

!+)

Piniella rolls out of bed with a .90 BAC every morning. That's how manly he is.

LMAO!! :-b Deserves to be bumped
pa_tater
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -13)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers