Return to Baseball Leftovers

Drafting with newbies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Drafting with newbies

Postby mkultra » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:14 pm

I'm starting a (slow) draft in a 12-person H2H league, where about 1/2 the folks have never done FBB before. As a result, they're drafting based on Sportsline's rankings, which put pitchers above batters. The good news is that, as a results, I snagged Papi at 7, and his power counts for A LOT in our league (he finished 2nd behind Pujols last year). The bad news is that the ace pitchers are falling early.

So the question is, at what point do I need to grab an ace? Coming back around, I could easily see getting Beltran, Utley, or MCab still being available, but I'd hate to see all the aces gone by round 3 or so.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:19 pm

If it's a lot of newbies you should be able to patch together a nice rotation of mid level guys (Haren, Zito, Schmidt) while having a good group of elite hitters.

That's what I would try and do anyways. Possibly look out for an early closer run though (although I'm not sure where they are in regards to sportsline's rankings).
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -350)

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:22 pm

Forget the top pitchers. Don't reach for them because that is what everyone else is doing, do the opposite. Ignore pitching and nab all of that top hitting talent and be happy about it.

Some guys to target could be: Sheets...could be your ace and might fall a few rounds to make him a viable target. Felix, Cain, Hamels, Harden could all be mid round targets (8-12) that would make a nice core to builid around.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)

Postby dewey finn » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:23 pm

psych them out by saying you'll be drafting so and so early so that they panic and draft them well ahead than they're worth.
dewey finn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:23 pm

pokerplaya wrote:Forget the top pitchers. Don't reach for them because that is what everyone else is doing, do the opposite. Ignore pitching and nab all of that top hitting talent and be happy about it.

Some guys to target could be: Sheets...could be your ace and might fall a few rounds to make him a viable target. Felix, Cain, Hamels, Harden could all be mid round targets (8-12) that would make a nice core to builid around.

That would also be one of the riskiest groups I've ever seen. :-o
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -350)

Postby hot4tx » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:44 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:Forget the top pitchers. Don't reach for them because that is what everyone else is doing, do the opposite. Ignore pitching and nab all of that top hitting talent and be happy about it.

Yes, but the upside is huge. The chance that one or two are hurt or underperform is there, but if 2-3 of them pan out you would end up with a very decent front end of a rotation and still have a HUGE edge over your opponents in hitters.

Also remember that in weekly lineup change CBS leagues you can add/drop 2-start pitchers for the back end of the rotation and come be competitive with the pitching of superior rotations.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:46 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:

You have to look at the rounds you're getting them in, and judging it against other SPs who would be drafted in that area. Guys like Sheets and Harden would be, IMO, similar risks to get injured as other guys taken in that area are to just not pitch well. Harden and Sheets are both guys I'm targeting this year, as well.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby number9 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:41 pm

Relax, it's a league full of noobs, no need to pummell them to death !+)

Anyways, the standard hitting over pitching (because SP are so volatile year to year) drafting should get you a strong team. You can always pick up decent SP and RP midseason anyways (and you'll cafe juiced compared to other guys for waiver wire info.)
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -6)

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:43 pm

This is how I feel every draft I'm in, even against experts!

/flex!
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby bleach168 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:45 pm

What are the veto rules like? You going to let the noobs hang themselves or are you going to protect them?
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers