Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Mcab ever move to 1B?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will Mcab ever move to 1B?

Postby West » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:49 pm

We've already seen players such as Teixiera and Pujols move to 1B as they got older. What do you guys think the chances are of Mcab ever taking over 1B? This is helpful for those of us who are lucky enough to have Pujols, Tex and Mcab in a keeper where you only have room for a 1B and a UTL. Thanks for the input guys.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Will Mcab ever move to 1B?

Postby thedude » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:25 pm

West wrote:We've already seen players such as Teixiera and Pujols move to 1B as they got older. What do you guys think the chances are of Mcab ever taking over 1B? This is helpful for those of us who are lucky enough to have Pujols, Tex and Mcab in a keeper where you only have room for a 1B and a UTL. Thanks for the input guys.

Well Those players moved because their teams had stud thirdbaseman coming up and they weren't were good at third begin with. I doubt M-Cab moves any time soon.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby tlef316 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:28 pm

West wrote:This is helpful for those of us who are lucky enough to have Pujols, Tex and Mcab in a keeper where you only have room for a 1B and a UTL. Thanks for the input guys.

so, in other words, this is helpful to you and maybe 2 other people ;-)

to answer your question, i doubt it, at least for the forseeable future. Unless they end up with some stud, gold glove caliber 3rd base prospect, i dont see them moving Mcab. No need to mess with him and jeopardize his production offensively. Its not like he's a liability.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -2)

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:48 pm

There is no rule in baseball that productive players always have to be moved to the easiest fielding positions... its just rare that a slugger actually has solid defensive skills, which Mcab seems to have. I don't think he's moving until he's too old to keep up down at that corner.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby West » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:06 pm

tlef316 wrote:so, in other words, this is helpful to you and maybe 2 other people ;-)

Or, anyone who is interested in Mcab's fantasy value in the coming years, so in other words, almost everyone.

I'm not making a case that all productive players get moved to the less susceptible defensive positions. I was simply pointing to Pujols and Teixiera (3B/OF-1B) as example of players whose value decreased due to a change in position. Other examples include Arod (SS to 3B), Soriano (2B to OF) and Nomar (SS to 3B to 1B) to name a few.
As we saw with Pujols and Teixiera, they are anything but defensive liabilities. Many baseball experts have suggested that Mcab may ultimately end up at first base as he gets older (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=t ... &type=lgns).

We have already seen Cabrera change positions from LF to 3B when Hermida came up last year. Hermida was nothing remotely resembling a stud or a gold glover last year (although I completely expect him to become a solid fantasy player in the coming years). That said, I agree with everyone here the Cabrera should be set at third base for at least another year or two.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:10 pm

Also, I don't see him wanting to move before he gets his crack at the FA market. The last thing he wants to be compared to is all of the 40+ HR guys at the other corner....
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Grouperman941 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:14 pm

West wrote:

We have already seen Cabrera change positions from LF to 3B when Hermida came up last year. Hermida was nothing remotely resembling a stud or a gold glover last year (although I completely expect him to become a solid fantasy player in the coming years).

That switch had nothing to do with Hermida and everything to do with Lowell leaving. His position is 3B.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -5)

Postby willy-t » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:13 pm

The presumption seems to be on here that Cabrera is a good defender, I don agree with that, he probbaly has above average arm strength but I see other facets of his glove to be lacking.
willy-t
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -6)

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:15 am

Most metrics show Cabrera to be an average or slightly above average fielder. Pujols was a good 3B when young and healthy. More recently, when healthy, Pujols has probably been the best defensive 1B in the league.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -37)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby wrveres » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:15 am

why would you want him too? :-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)