Return to Baseball Leftovers

standard 5X5 Stud setupman worth more than Crappy Closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Niffoc4 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:13 am

roninmedia wrote:I believe strongly in the MR to round out my staff. I have 5 starters to chew up the innings with two closers and 3 stud MRs to anchor down the ERA and WHIP, Shields, Linebrink, and Broxton. Hopefully they continue their success and one of them jumps into the closers role.
I agree with this, most times I take at least one MR late, and will probably do two this year. It works best when there is an innings limit, because most MR's do well on k's (and even w's) per inning compared to starters. But they are not valued as much (or as valuable IMO) in most leagues, so you can wait and get the hitters, SP's and closers you want first (most of the time).
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:13 pm

tmlfan4ever wrote:
jlm53089 wrote:honestly i brather have a broxton then a wickamn this year.
and possibly grap soriano or zumaya

Im sorry but that is absolutely crazy.

The path to last place is paved with future closers. I'll take Wickman in the NL with his 30 saves any day of the week over Broxton. Come on, think about it for 2 seconds.

What will you been thinking when Mike Gonzalez is closing?
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -37)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:15 pm

roninmedia wrote:I believe strongly in the MR to round out my staff. I have 5 starters to chew up the innings with two closers and 3 stud MRs to anchor down the ERA and WHIP, Shields, Linebrink, and Broxton. Hopefully they continue their success and one of them jumps into the closers role.

If you get those last three in late enough rounds that's a solid way to do it, provided you have concentration in your hitting that doesn't require to much platooning. I like this MR strategy in league with over 21 roster spots more.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -37)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers