Return to Baseball Leftovers

standard 5X5 Stud setupman worth more than Crappy Closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

standard 5X5 Stud setupman worth more than Crappy Closer?

Postby jcobb79 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:39 am

In standard 5X5 is a Stud setupman worth more than Crappy Closer
when trying to fill out a roster?
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Frank Sinatra
jcobb79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:48 am

Depends on the rest of your roster, the crappiness of the closer, and the studliness of the reliever.

Personally I usually carry at least one stud reliever in 5x5. They're good for ratios, K's, and the occasional win or save. I would prefer to have a stud set-up man who is next in line for the closer slot over a bottom of the barrel closer, to be sure.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -167)

Postby jcobb79 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:05 pm

Thanks for the thought I am in a 15 team mixed 5X5 league that starts 9 pitchers with a 1400 max innings pitched by my calculations that means I should probably have a 5 man starting rotation (5X200IP=1000 innings) and 4 RP at approx 100 IP each. Thus i am going to try and get 1 stud closer (Mo, BJ Ryan, Nathan), one lower tier closer on the cheap (Fuentes, Lidge) and then fill in with top notch Setup guys and guys that are in line to take over closer rolls (Otsuka, Zumaya, Shields, M.Gonzalez). Is this the best strategy should I go with 6 SP i am pretty sure i will go over the Max IP if i do that am i correct?
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Frank Sinatra
jcobb79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby stumpak » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:09 pm

JCobb, I play in a similar format. Trust me, all of those guys will not get you to a 1400 IP limit. My limit is 1250 and I have to work to hit it. Pitchers drop like flies due to injury, and 6 starters will probably get you no more than 900 innings give or take and possibly a lot less. If you like to sit a pitcher occasionally due to match-ups, the problem only gets worse.

So my point is that stud MRs becoem very valauble in this format. They eat up innings that you would otherwise have to assign to a very marginal SP who will kill your WHIP, ERA and K rate.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby jlm53089 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:33 pm

honestly i brather have a broxton then a wickamn this year.
and possibly grap soriano or zumaya
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -216)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:41 pm

Absolutely rather have a Broxton, Zumaya or Shields over McClung. If it's daily changes I'd rather have 2 or 3 guys like that.
Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 231)

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:14 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:Absolutely rather have a Broxton, Zumaya or Shields over McClung. If it's daily changes I'd rather have 2 or 3 guys like that.

Not to defend McClung too much but people are looking at his numbers and saying no way. But as a closer last year he was pretty good. He only blew 1 save in his tour relieving. He has multiple pitches and a triple digit heater. Personally, I'd rather have McClung over guys like Weathers, Dempster, & Torres right now.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 21)

Postby mrobinson » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:17 pm

i can deal with up to 2 but any more than for mid relief and you are taking up too much roster space.

my main target this year is broxton, other guys that have been good recently are zumaya and def. shields and linnebrink.

i know there is another really good one out there but i cant think of who it is. im talking sub 2.3 era, sub 1.00 whip and a k per inning. but few saves. anyone?
mrobinson
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:29 pm

Last year Zumaya and Shields accumulated more value than 7 closers with over 30 saves, including Jenks' 41, in 5 x 5 12 team roto.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -37)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby mrobinson » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:32 pm

found it.

pat neshek: 37 ip, 4 wins, 0 saves, 53 Ks, 2.19 era, 0.78 WHIP.
mrobinson
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers