Return to Baseball Leftovers

Closers in H2H

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rainman23 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:45 pm

I swear to God I don't know why people look for different attributes in their players, pitchers in particular, in H2H than they do Roto. I guess it's a zen thing, and one day it will become clear to me too. In the mean time, in my ignorance, I'll continue to evaluate players pretty much the same way in both formats. And wonder how come my pitching is always the strength of my squads.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:31 pm

Depends a ton on your minimum ip and your resources for your team (ie if you're in a keeper you might have a lot of resources or very few compared to your competition).

In my case I've got two pertinent stories.

My first season in our 14 team h2h keeper we were standard 5x5. My team was rebuilding and I had traded the entire first half of my draft to upgrade my offensive keepers. I had Chris Carpenter as my only keeper pitcher. We had a minimum of 16ip. I went with Carp as my only SP and drafted Shields, Duchscherer, Rincon, Soriano and Linebrink as my only other pitchers (by the time I got to draft only the terrible closers were left). I managed to put up a winning record despite not having a pick until the 8th round of a 6 keeper league.

This season we raised our minimum ip to 30 (mostly because of me O:-) ) and changed to k/9 instead of k's (mostly because of the guy that streamed sp's). I had the opposite type of draft this year - 7 picks in the first 3 rounds. I also had BJ Ryan as one of my keepers. I traded up to the second pick to get Joe Nathan who for some reason hadn't been kept and then picked up JJ Putz and Brad Lidge as well. I figure if I can get 8-10 innings a week from those guys that's about 20-25% of my innings from 11-12 k/9 guys. That really helps to be dominant in that category, I'm dominant in saves and they help a ton in the era/whip areas too. Of course I could only do that because I had ridiculous offensive keepers, a deep farm team pumping up major-league ready talent and a very top-heavy draft.
Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 231)

Postby DeadWinterDay » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:03 am

Last year in my 20 team keeper h2h:

Draft: I took Todd Jones and a few MR with awesome ratios from the previous year.

Waiver wire: Saito, Wainwright (these 2 i kept till end of year after i got them) and then I had Valverde at times, Julio at times, and a few other random vulture closers.

I punted saves in the draft and ended up winning saves 10.5 (counting ties as .5) out of a possible 26 times.

Ill be doing the same thing this year.

The closer watch thread is your friend. Remember that.
DeadWinterDay
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:43 am

Its easy to dominate crappy leagues.

Closers are underrated in a good league pretty much, its not 'easy' to pick up saves mid season in a league where everyone is looking for easy saves. Last year in my league every single backup closer was on a roster most of the season, if you drop saves early in a good deeper league its very hard to catch up on them. Furthermore anyone that does get lucky knows the value they have and if you want to trade for a closer they will make you pay a premium.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby byfrcp » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:49 am

If I'm playing you and all you have is MR and CL I'm just going to start my 2 best starting pitcher matchups, I'll win W, K, ERA, and WHIP.
byfrcp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -72)

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:24 am

byfrcp wrote:If I'm playing you and all you have is MR and CL I'm just going to start my 2 best starting pitcher matchups, I'll win W, K, ERA, and WHIP.

Well, unless you get 2 starts for each pitcher in that week...no way. Who do you think are most likely to give up a run? A closer pitching for 3 outs or a starter that pitchers 7 innings? High K closers will get at least a K a save if not more. They get 2 or 3 saves a week each. Also, good closers don't usually blow saves so ERA is done. Also, whip seems to be a wash. Last year, I think my closers avg over 25 Ks a week. The strategy isn't full proof but it will work 75% of the time.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 21)

Postby jwdavis53 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:28 am

Im seeking a solid closer for this year. Yes I kno I'm a girl, but I still whup ass in fantasy babyyy ;-D
I am the cutest baseball fan you will ever see
jwdavis53
T-Ball Trainer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers