Return to Baseball Leftovers

Closers in H2H

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Closers in H2H

Postby jfg » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:20 pm

Whats your strategy for drafting closers in head to head? I can see that in Roto it's much more beneficial to save money and take a couple guys who will get 20-25 saves with an upside to maybe get some more and finish in about the middle in the saves cat, but in H2H most of the time you'll lose the cat with 2 guys like that.

The only options I see are these :

1. Drafting an elite closer that will not lose his job and doesn't have a history of injuries and then taking one of those bottom tier guys. Drafting two elites is too expensive to win one category almost every week.

2. Punt saves.

3. Go with two bottom tier closers and hope for the best while watching the waiver wire like a hawk (and hope that you have priority).

All three options are worth looking at but I'd think the safest is #1 when you're forced to win week in and week out and finishing in the middle of pack means nothing.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -127)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ukrneal » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:37 pm

If you can get a reliable closer between rounds 6-10, I'd go for that. Punting is a bad idea as a start. If you end up having to punt, that is one thing. But if the league is competitive, you start yourself in a hole.
ukrneal
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -150)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:59 pm

Just thought I'd share this. I actually am undefeated using this strategy (3 for 3). I likely need to lose 1 of my bench bats for another MR arm to plug in. This is my Yahoo Winners H2H league norm 5X5.

C A.J. Pierzynski (ChW - C)
1B Prince Fielder (Mil - 1B)
2B Ian Kinsler (Tex - 2B)
3B Aramis Ramírez (ChC - 3B)
SS Miguel Tejada (Bal - SS)
OF Carl Crawford (TB - OF)
OF Adam Dunn (Cin - OF)
OF Jeff Francoeur (Atl - OF)
Util Travis Hafner (Cle - Util)
BN Carlos Quentin (Ari - OF)
BN Aubrey Huff (Bal - 1B,3B,OF)
BN Wilson Betemit (LAD - 2B,3B,SS)

SP Joel Piñeiro (Bos - SP,RP)
SP Seth McClung (TB - SP,RP)
RP Bobby Jenks (CWS - RP)
RP Francisco Cordero (Mil - RP)
P Brian Fuentes (Col - RP)
P Kevin Gregg (Fla - SP,RP)
P Joel Zumaya (Det - RP)
BN Jonathan Broxton (LAD - RP)
BN Scot Shields (LAA - RP)

My Draft:

1. (9) Carl Crawford OF
2. (16) Travis Hafner Util
3. (33) Miguel Tejada SS
4. (40) Aramis Ramírez 3B
5. (57) Adam Dunn OF
6. (64) Bobby Jenks RP
7. (81) Francisco Cordero RP
8. (88) Brian Fuentes RP
9. (105) Prince Fielder 1B
10. (112) Joel Zumaya RP
11. (129) Jeff Francoeur OF
12. (136) Joel Piñeiro SP,RP
13. (153) Ian Kinsler 2B
14. (160) Jonathan Broxton RP
15. (177) Seth McClung SP,RP
16. (184) A.J. Pierzynski C
17. (201) Scot Shields RP
18. (208) Carlos Quentin OF
19. (225) Kevin Gregg SP,RP
20. (232) Aubrey Huff 3B,OF
21. (249) Wilson Betemit 2B,3B,SS

This strategy really works!
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 21)

Postby samjerky » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:41 pm

Havok1517 wrote:This strategy really works!

So, you're taking a bunch of middle relievers, which I've heard is an OK strategy. You are doing well in SO/AB, thus you do OK in that category, you get a nice WHIP and ERA thing going, so you probably win those. You're kind of competitive in saves, especially if one of those guys moves into the closer role, but you never get the win category. Is that how it works? You beat your weekly opponent always losing the win category?
samjerky Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -5)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:57 pm

samjerky wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:This strategy really works!

So, you're taking a bunch of middle relievers, which I've heard is an OK strategy. You are doing well in SO/AB, thus you do OK in that category, you get a nice WHIP and ERA thing going, so you probably win those. You're kind of competitive in saves, especially if one of those guys moves into the closer role, but you never get the win category. Is that how it works? You beat your weekly opponent always losing the win category?

Yeah, usually. Wins are so wishy-washy anyways. My offense dominates 4 to 5 cats and my pitching wins 3 or 4 of the cats there. I win almost everytime 7-3.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby byfrcp » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:59 pm

What kind of min innings pitched limit do you have, because I don't see you even gettin 20 innings a week.
byfrcp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -72)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:01 pm

byfrcp wrote:What kind of min innings pitched limit do you have, because I don't see you even gettin 20 innings a week.

In H2H, I belive the setting is either 7IP or 10IP.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby jfg » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:09 pm

I will never play in a league that allows closers to fill in starting pitching roles, and I don't like middle relievers allowed either. A starting pitcher shouldn't be allowed to rack up saves. I know it's strategy but it takes away from the idea of owning a team.

If your league allows it though, that's a good strategy. I bet you wouldn't even lose wins as often as you'd think.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -127)

Postby fbc_fan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:10 pm

j24jags wrote:I like to grab a stud then 2 middle to lower tier guys. It's always easy to find a stud over the season. 2 Years Ago Turnbow, this last year Papelbom/Putz/Wainwright/Shields when the guys in front of them went down.
Last year I had KRod, Street, Putz and Fuentes in one league (I think I got Street fairly late)
This year in my only $ league that has drafted already I have Street, Jenks, Fuentes.

this is what i try to do in almost every h2h league i'm in. most of the time i just wait for the closer run to start around the sixth round and then grab an elite closer with a good history, then wait unil the mid teen rounds and grab two lower tier guys. watching the wire is essential because studs show up every year, you just have to be fast. remember that the closer watch sticky is your friend. i've never seen so much value sitting around on free agency as with closers.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers