Return to General Talk

South Park

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: South Park

Postby Metroid » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:30 pm

Simulacrum wrote:....Trey Parker and what's his name...)

Matt Stone ;-)
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
(Past Year: -24)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mweir145 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:32 pm

Simulacrum wrote:No, this first episode was a real stinker. It seemed to me like a group of creators OTHER than Trey Parker and what's his name put this episode together entirely, because while it did press all the same South Park buttons, the results were not funny and seemed forced. My example is the joke they kept pushing about Butters and where he was shooting the hostages. I couldn't even look at the TV by the time they went into Cartman's third rant about it. The Indy aspect of the plot was better, but only OK and far from great. The only part that I found myself really laughing at was the play off of the scene from Deliverance. But when that scene is a minute and a half out of twenty minutes you've got serious problems.

I'd give it a 4/10, but I'm not ready to stick a fork in south park just yet.

Since this seemed to be directed towards my post....look I'm not saying the episode was up to their usual standards (not at all and I'm of the opinion that South Park may be in a slow decline), but I expected it to be far worse than it was based on what I had read. It's possible that my relatively favourable review had a lot more to do with how low my expectations were going into it. I personally thought it was pretty funny to show the metaphor of "raping a movie" through famous movie rape scenes.

If I was to give it a score out of 10, it probably would have been 5-6, though.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:52 pm

South Park is 0-2 so far after tonights epidsode...

Where art thou Eric Cartman?(Ironic after making a joke about raping Indy they rape Cartman in the next episode)
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:11 am

Haha, I thought the entire episode was pretty funny myself. The ending reminded me of when Token beat up Cartman a few years ago. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:13 am

TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:Ironic after making a joke about raping Indy they rape Cartman in the next episode

You think beating up Cartman should be absolutely off limits in this show? I mean I can see why it shouldn't happen regularly, but it's not a bad thing to see him get his comeuppance once in a while.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:53 am

mweir145 wrote:Haha, I thought the entire episode was pretty funny myself. The ending reminded me of when Token beat up Cartman a few years ago. :-D

it was one of the worst episodes in recent memory for me, but i did fall asleep for a few minutes in the middle. it seems like they're almost going Family Guy with all the pop culture references (the Accused and Deliverance rape scenes last episode, the Snatch fight and There Will Be Blood ending last episode)

hopefully they come back with a great episode soon
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -115)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:43 am

I thought last night's was pretty good. Not great but very solid.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:53 pm

mweir145 wrote:
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:Ironic after making a joke about raping Indy they rape Cartman in the next episode

You think beating up Cartman should be absolutely off limits in this show? I mean I can see why it shouldn't happen regularly, but it's not a bad thing to see him get his comeuppance once in a while.

No he can get his share of grief here and there, BUT he was spinless and cowardly in ways that just seemed out of character. There have been episodes in the past where Cartman gets put in positions where he is on the defensive, but it was done much better.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby DbacksRback » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:58 pm

TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

No he can get his share of grief here and there, BUT he was spinless and cowardly in ways that just seemed out of character. There have been episodes in the past where Cartman gets put in positions where he is on the defensive, but it was done much better.

Yes but he has always had the mooooommy O:-) side to him too and this episode just showed that off
DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 20)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:21 pm

great episode, the best of this season BY FAR
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk