Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rangers sign young to 5 year, 80 million dollar extension

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rangers sign young to 5 year, 80 million dollar extension

Postby DSheppard » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:06 pm

up 5 million from the deal that i posted was in the works last week.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 765f5.html

Well, too much for too long for his profile as a player, but as a ranger fan it would take a lot worse deal than that for me to say no to a michael young extension.

so im glad. The value on the deal will really depend on if he can maintain the very good defense he played last year at short for at least a few years. If at the end of the deal he both declines offensively and has to move from short.. yeah then its going to hurt for a bit.

but hes a very good player, has all the "intangibles" you could ask for, is a fan favorite, plays shortstop.....
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:09 pm

Imagine that. Hicks throwing away money...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby DSheppard » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:17 pm

Yoda wrote:Imagine that. Hicks throwing away money...

calling this throwing away money is ridiculous.

hes the most popular player on the team, has been to 3 consecutive all star games, has had 200 hits 4 consecutive seasons(4th person ever to do so), was defensively rated as one of the top SS last year, has knocked in an average of 97 runs the last 3 years from the 2 spot in the lineup, the only time hes missed the past few years is when he left for 3 days when his child was born(so a very small injury risk)....

overspending a little on a player like young isnt throwing away money. at worst its a few million too much per year and wasting 15 or so million to lock up a franchise icon. Whats that worth? Jason Marquis?
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:24 pm

DSheppard wrote:
Yoda wrote:Imagine that. Hicks throwing away money...

calling this throwing away money is ridiculous.

hes the most popular player on the team, has been to 3 consecutive all star games, has had 200 hits 4 consecutive seasons(4th person ever to do so), was defensively rated as one of the top SS last year, has knocked in an average of 97 runs the last 3 years from the 2 spot in the lineup, the only time hes missed the past few years is when he left for 3 days when his child was born(so a very small injury risk)....

overspending a little on a player like young isnt throwing away money. at worst its a few million too much per year and wasting 15 or so million to lock up a franchise icon. Whats that worth? Jason Marquis?

OK maybe not throwing away 'all' the money but definitely 'some' money.

He's a nice player and pretty good at his position but he is 30 and I think Rangers will regret this deal after the 3rd year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby hookem2003 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:54 pm

As a Ranger fan, I like the deal. Very consistent player at a premium position who represents the franchise well. $16 MM/yr is just the cost of business now. You're telling me this guy isn't $5 MM better than J.D. Drew?

Now it gets interesting w/ Teixiera. I think we have to trade him. He's going to test free agency, so why risk it. Even if we could sign him, I'd rather have, say, Andrew Jones and 2 or 3 top prospects for around $30 MM than just Tex for around $20MM.
hookem2003
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:29 pm

Young is a good player, though I think at his age, $80m for 5 years seems like an awful lot. It seems similar to the Wells extension to me - a great player being signed to an extension for a bit more than he's probably worth. Of course, given what the signings have looked like this winter, it may just be that I'll have to re-evaluate what players are worth. If Gil Meche is worth $11m a year, then Young is certainly worth $16m. (Although I personally think that the market will settle down again after a year or two, and that this extension won't look quite so good in its last few years.)
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Return to Baseball Leftovers