Postby michaelp » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:45 am

Got Roids ?
michaelp
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Old_Style » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:56 am

djacks wrote:So I guess this means I should draft him again this year huh?... :-D

Wait, are they going to let him use steroids again this year?
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -218)

Postby samjerky » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:05 pm

He's already got his shipment of HGH for this year. Draft him this year then forget it next year. He'll be out all year with hamstring injuries.
samjerky Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -5)

Postby wrveres » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:32 pm

great read. I pretty much agree with everything this guy says right here.

We live, as our bluenoses are ever so quick to remind us, in a society of laws. Among the most fundamental of those, right up there with freedom of speech and freedom from arbitrary detention, is the right to define our legal relationships with others within the broader context of civil and criminal law. It is illegal to buy hGH without a prescription, and if Matthews did so and gets prosecuted for it, there's no reason to cry a single tear for him. That being said, the Angels don't have the right to fire him over it (certainly not because he's simply been accused of it in a magazine article), and that's a good thing. If owners want that right, they can try and negotiate for it at the bargaining table. If they can't get the players to agree, that's too bad.

End of story!!

What will be too bad for all of us is Congress passing, or even threatening to pass, an authoritarian law that seizes bodily fluids and surrenders them to the mercies of Dick Pound just because they happen to belong to famous and rich people. That's wrong. Get as mad at Gary Matthews Jr. as you'd like, but don't look past the real issue here, which is a threat to liberty marching behind the twin flags of moralism and class envy. If we can overlook that because of something as silly as our dismay at the fact that we can't vicariously punish athletes for being what we wish we were, we deserve to live in a prison state

;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:09 pm

wrveres wrote:great read. I pretty much agree with everything this guy says right here.

We live, as our bluenoses are ever so quick to remind us, in a society of laws. Among the most fundamental of those, right up there with freedom of speech and freedom from arbitrary detention, is the right to define our legal relationships with others within the broader context of civil and criminal law. It is illegal to buy hGH without a prescription, and if Matthews did so and gets prosecuted for it, there's no reason to cry a single tear for him. That being said, the Angels don't have the right to fire him over it (certainly not because he's simply been accused of it in a magazine article), and that's a good thing. If owners want that right, they can try and negotiate for it at the bargaining table. If they can't get the players to agree, that's too bad.

End of story!!

What will be too bad for all of us is Congress passing, or even threatening to pass, an authoritarian law that seizes bodily fluids and surrenders them to the mercies of Dick Pound just because they happen to belong to famous and rich people. That's wrong. Get as mad at Gary Matthews Jr. as you'd like, but don't look past the real issue here, which is a threat to liberty marching behind the twin flags of moralism and class envy. If we can overlook that because of something as silly as our dismay at the fact that we can't vicariously punish athletes for being what we wish we were, we deserve to live in a prison state

;-D

But what about the children? You're clearly not thinking of the children.

That guy says almost exactly how I feel about this issue, only...you know...eloquently.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -11)

Postby zepfan » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:53 pm

wrveres wrote:great read. I pretty much agree with everything this guy says right here.

...What will be too bad for all of us is Congress passing, or even threatening to pass, an authoritarian law that seizes bodily fluids and surrenders them to the mercies of Dick Pound just because they happen to belong to famous and rich people. That's wrong. Get as mad at Gary Matthews Jr. as you'd like, but don't look past the real issue here, which is a threat to liberty marching behind the twin flags of moralism and class envy. If we can overlook that because of something as silly as our dismay at the fact that we can't vicariously punish athletes for being what we wish we were, we deserve to live in a prison state

;-D

Not sure why this writer thinks that everyone wishes to be on steroids. ;-7

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -182)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:01 pm

End of story!!

;-D

Good read. Nice post. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby mbuser » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:11 pm

i agree with some of the things the guy says. it's true that their really is nothing the angels can do, so boo-hooing for them doesn't serve a real purpose. but i also know that my disdain for athletes who use performance-enhancing drugs doesn't stem from my own jealousy of their talents, despite this author's ludicrous assumption that it does

it will be interesting to see what the owners and players can (eventually) agree on, because it's going to come to a head at some point
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby mweir145 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:13 am

End of story!!

;-D

You don't see too many articles like this around, but he expresses a view on this issue that I definitely agree with. Nice find. ;-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers