Return to Classifieds

Second year keeper league seeks new blood

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Second year keeper league seeks new blood

Postby offspeed » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:58 pm

Hi all

I'm a manager in a second year keeper league with a keeper rule format that may interest and challenge some. It's a 16-team roto league (conducted via Yahoo!, no money involved) where the keeper designations are largely based on where that player was/is drafted. If you like strategy and prepping for drafts, this league should interest you.

First off, the stat categories:

Batters: R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, GIDP, FPCT, AVG, SLG
Pitchers: W, SV, HLD, K, GIDP, HR, ERA, WHIP, K/9 (There will be another category added. Last year we used Total Bases.)

Rosters:

Batters: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 3 OF, Util
Pitchers: 3 SP, 3 RP, 2 P
6 Bench
3 DL

Onto the aforementioned keeper rules:

1. Each manager may keep 7 players who were on their roster at the end of the Winter Meetings (2/1/07).
a. 2 players may be from any tier.
b. 3 players may be from tiers 2 or 3.
c. The final 2 players may only be from tier 3.

2. Any player placed on a roster will be assigned to a tier according to these guidelines:
a. Drafted in 2006 in rounds 1-7 or after 2006 in rounds 1-5 will be placed in tier 1.
b. Drafted in 2006 in rounds 8-20 or after 2006 in rounds 6-13 will be placed in tier 2.
c. Drafted in 2006 in rounds 21-23 or after 2006 in rounds 14-16 will be placed in tier 3.
d. Acquired from free agency will be placed in tier 3.
e. Players claimed off waivers and traded players will retain their previous tier assignments.
f. Undrafted players claimed off waivers will be considered free agents and placed in tier 3.
g. Upon clearing waivers and becoming free agents, players will be released from their tiers.
h. Unkept players entering a new draft as free agents will be released from their tiers.
i. Kept players will retain their tier assignments.
j. If a tier 2 or 3 player is kept for four consecutive seasons (not including the season in which he was assigned to a tier) without reaching free agency, that player will be promoted to the next highest tier (tier 1 being the highest).

3. Managers may trade keeper privileges and draft spots for the upcoming season however they so choose. Any such trades must be approved by commissioner.

4. Managers have the right to forfeit up to one keeper privilege per year in exchange for an extra draft pick. Any manager may forfeit more keeper privileges without compensation or they may trade those keeper privileges to other managers.
a. A forfeited tier 3 only keeper earns a round 15 pick.
b. A forfeited tier 2 or 3 keeper earns a round 9 pick.
c. A forfeited any tier keeper earns a round 3 pick.

The rules are geared towards those that love to scavenge the waiver wire, as you can see. Once a player clears waivers, they become released from their original draft-based tier and become tier 3s.

The league had a number of managers who eventually came to feel that they were in over their heads. All-in-all, the league was fairly competitive. I made a number of trades in the first few months of the season and was in second place from a little before the All-Star break on until the end of the year. On the second to last day, I pulled into first place. I ended up finishing in second about a half point behind first (if memory serves).

Most of the teams have pretty good players available as keepers and it'll be up to you to select who you want to keep from the first season. There's also the option of off-season trades, wherein you can package players to upgrade one of your keepers or acquire more depth if you're team isn't as deep. We're looking for managers before the February 1st deadline on selecting keepers, so the sooner we can fill up the league (and potentially have a few deals made before selecting our keepers) the better.

PM me if you're interested and I'll send you an invite to the league discussion list.
offspeed
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby offspeed » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:01 pm

Bump.

We've still got a couple of spaces open if people are still interested.
offspeed
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

keeper league

Postby Andoverjon » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:06 pm

I am interested in joining a keeper league. I always have several teams in baseball, football, basketball, one in hockey and even one in golf.

I would say that I know a lot about baseball (at least fantasy-wise) and that I am a pretty dedicated owner. My yahoo account is Andoverjon. Also, my brother would like to join, his account name is HerseyChris.
Andoverjon
T-Ball Trainer

Return to Classifieds